Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Shayla's Journal

Each day of our vacation, Shayla wrote in her journal. I’ll recap our trip through her words:

Tuesday, June 19, 2007: Today we drove for two hours and then we got to the airport. We had to sit on the plane for a little bit, but then the plane took off. For an hour I read Christi’s, “Dr. Amelia’s Boredom Survival Guide”. Then I played Gameboy for a bit. A boy came and sat with me. The flight was almost seven hours long. When I woke up we were in Anchorage and we went to the hotel where we met Aunt Marty and Uncle Jeff. I slept on a roll away bed.


Wednesday, June 20, 2007: Today I rode on a train. I saw a moose, doll sheep and a lot of bald eagles. The ride to the ocean was 2 ½ hours. There was a glass dome where we got to sit. Next, we stood in a long line. Then we got on the ship. I got my finger stuck in the balcony door. It hurt. Then I went exploring the ship with my dad and then with my mom. We played a lot.

Thursday, June 21, 2007: Today we rode on the ship the whole day. First we swam. The pool had ocean water in it. The pool was hotter than the hot tub! Then we want to waltzing lessons. I danced with my dad. Mom helped my dad dance. Next we went to high tea. I had a scone and a sandwich and a doughnut. Then we met our waiter for the week. Then we ate. I had steak. Then we went to a show. Then people danced and dance different music. I love the shows! Then we went to bed. I found three chocolates on a pillow.

Friday, June 22, 2007: Today I got to go to Sitka. There was kayaking. We saw star fish and seals. It was beautiful. Me, my mom and dad kayaked all together. A seal named Lou-Seal, was really close to our kayak. We ate chowder. Then we went to meet some friends who live in Sitka. We saw a dig and lots of totem poles. We went to The Raptor center. Our friends showed us their house and dogs. They drove us around the town. We went back to the boat and ate dinner. I had steak. Dad and I played chess with big pieces on the boat. So far, I have five and dad has two.


Saturday, June 23, 2007: Today we rode a bus to a station. There we got into a helicopter and it was fun. We flew over Juneau and saw glaciers. It was cool. Then we arrived on top of the glacier where everything was white. It was the dog sled farm. I got to do the demonstration to show how to be a musher and work the sled and how to sit down. Then I drove the dog sled with eight dogs for twenty minutes. Mom drove a little bit when I rode. Then the helicopter flew us back. I went to the kid’s playroom for four hours while mom and dad and Marty and Jeff went hiking. Then I played chess with dad and I won.


Sunday, June 24, 2007: Today I rode in a bus with my family for two hours into the Yukon (Canada). Then went horseback riding. My horse’s name was Spirit. Dad’s horse was Trooper and mom’s was Jade. We rode up a huge mountain and looked over Emerald Lake. It was fun to go up and down the hills. We went back to the ship and ate dinner. I had steak. Next we all went to a show again with dancers and singers. It was fun. I took a shower. It's the size of a chair. I had a good day.

Monday, June 25, 2007: Today we went to Ketchikan. We didn’t have any plans so dad rented a fishing pole and we fished for one hour. Our bait was fish eggs. Then I went to the kid room on the ship to play with my friends. My parents went on a hiking trail. I got my face painted like a dog. Our two counselors had a fake wedding. I was one of the brides’ dogs. Then I saw a show with the camp Carnival kids. Next I went to eat dessert with my mom and dad and aunt and uncle. Next, I saw the show again this time with them. It was the best show!

Tuesday, June 26, 2007: Today I went to the kid room and got my face painted again. Then I went with mom to the library where we read and played Battleship. Then we sat in the hot tub. Next dad took me swimming for an hour. We met mom for high tea and I played Battleship with her again. Then we went to another fancy dinner. I ate steak. I like the fancy dinners. I got to dance with the waiter to “Hey Baby”. We saw another good show with dancers and singers and went to bed.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007: Mom said she wanted to stay two more days. I said I wanted to stay two more years! We got off the ship in Vancouver, BC and went to a hotel. The hotel had free bike rentals. I rode a tandem. I had to pedal. It was fun. We went on a long bike ride and then ate dinner in Chinatown. We sat in the hot tub on the roof top!
Shayla loved this "art car" driving around Vancouver. The driver even gave her a souviner - little plastic car parts. She took great delight and I believe made his day!

Thursday, June 28th, 2007:
We went to the airport and stood in long lines. Aunt Marty and Uncle Jeff were there. Their flight got cancelled. Our flight was five hours. I read and played Gameboy. Dad drove home and we went to McDonald’s and got home at night. Grandma Nee Nee and Laura took care of my pets. I am glad to see my pets. Buckeye meowed all night she was so happy to see us.

Thank you, dearest Shayla for suggesting a most incredible vacation destination. You are a gem - a rare and precious find and I am so blessed to be your mother. Just like your sister, you are an excellent traveler - always making the best of "bumps" that come in the road and always with a beautiful smile and great attitude! I am very lucky!!

Thank you very much to all who "played along" with Shayla's little guessing game either by posting or emailing your guesses. Shayla had a ball, learned a bit about geography and even got some new vacation ideas. Gee, thanks - hee hee!

ANGELA'S MOST TREASURED MOMENT: During our dog sled adventure, I was sitting in the seat while Shayla was being me being the "musher". Our guide asked her if she'd like to send them running and she said, "YES!!!" He told her to say, "Hike!" In her little tiny voice she squeaked, "hike". Two of the dogs right in front of me jumped to all fours and dug in. The other six in front of them turned their heads back as if to say, "What was that?"

SHAYNE's FAVORITE QUOTE: Follow Fawn through the woods. (Our "sister of a friend" who lives in Sitka met up with a friend named "Fawn". She lead us to where some college students were participating in a dig. Shayne thought it was so funny......follow "Fawn" through the woods.

16 Comments:

At 3/7/07 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had really nice vacation days.
Very beautiful Pics :)

much hugs and Love

 
At 3/7/07 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Shayla, this sounds like real fun, I'd love to go to Alaska, glad you had a good time and i enjoyed reading your journal.

 
At 3/7/07 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shayla!
Looks like you had a BLAST in Alaska! You are such an awesome girl to hang out with! I had fun with you at Ritz Camp, my mouse buddy! Hope your in my week next year!
Jordan (the beggar)

 
At 3/7/07 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Shayla,

I have always wanted to visit Alaska. My Grandma was raised in the Yukon...Dawson City. I would have loved to join you on that horse ride. Thank you for journaling...reading it, I feel as though I was there.

Bless you,

 
At 3/7/07 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla's diary is priceless - though I am wondering what she ate on the nights she didn't have steak...good taste girl!

Angela and Shayne - you must be so proud of her, she is obviously smart, appreciative and lovely to be around. It sounds like a wonderful break.

 
At 3/7/07 2:28 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

I am so glad you had such a nice time and I absolutely love all of the new pictures. Shayla, you write so well! I really felt like I was with you on that trip by reading some of your entries. :o) I gather you really like steak, eh?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Hugs,
Olivia

 
At 3/7/07 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was actually meant to be a private message. However, I couldn't find an email address. Luckily you have comment moderation enabled.

You know, death is one of the most difficult things to accept. Especially when it's a child. The thing is, it's all part of HIS plan. Never do our feeble (minds) show (itself) more than when we attempt to call ANY death senseless and tragic. It is all part of HIS plan. There is really no point in even trying to explain it. Even in knowing this, it can be so difficult to accept.

HIS power and HIS love for ALL things is more powerful than our tiny little minds can understand. But in our hearts...what POWER!

Thank you so much for sharing your most AWESOME story with the world. Know that I share your pain. As well as your joy.

Blessings always.

 
At 3/7/07 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla, you are quite the writer! Thank you so much for sharing your vacation journal with all of us! I wanted to let you know that my daughter is planning her first Alex's Lemonade Stand in memory of Christi! She has her website up and running if you want to check it out - www.firstgiving.com/laura .
Happy 4th of July to all of you!
You are in our prayers!
Love,
Sarah Romano

 
At 3/7/07 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, Laura's Alex's Lemonade site is www.firstgiving.com/laurar.

 
At 3/7/07 11:12 PM, Blogger Caitlin M. said...

My oh my, what a FABULOUS vacation!!! And what an honour it is to hear that you were in Canada, our country. All of your activities sound great, never a dull moment! Shayla, you did a great job recording each day's activities. I'm so glad that your dream vacation came true! I'm sure that Christi was heavily on your minds as always, but vacations are always a great time to clear your mind and just relax so hopefully you are all feeling refreshed!
Angela, thank you so much for responding to my e-mail. It is my pleasure to even say that I followed Christi's journey, and I knew her amazing fight and spirit had to be represented at the relay! I will continue to light a luminary every year.
Have a great week and I hope that you're adjusting to "normal" life once again (and Shayla, are you in bed yet??? Haha).
-Julie's big sister, Caitlin
www.caringbridge.org/visit/julie

 
At 4/7/07 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla is a great writer! She definitely gets that from her mom and big sister. :) I love the pictures! It seems you kept very busy and hopefully it got your minds off reality, if even only for a little while. Stay Strong!

P.S-I'm going to be an aunt for the first time! My sister is due to have her first child right around Shayla's birthday!

 
At 4/7/07 12:54 AM, Blogger Kori's House said...

I have been reading your blog for a while now but don't think I have ever left a comment.
Glad you were able to come see our part of the world. Great job on the Journal Shayla!

 
At 4/7/07 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great diary Shayla, thanks!!! It's great to see everything via your eyes =) I'm very happy that you've had such a great time! Alaska was surely the best choice!

Since I love cats too (I've got little black one) I've got something for you, you'll love it ;) it always makes me laugh :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIqhUCZgwXQ&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkT7A3jegBc&mode=related&search=


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JAYKw-x6qE&mode=related&search=


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZAHl5_LTGQ


Enjoy!! Love, Oliwia

 
At 4/7/07 8:02 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Glad you had such a great trip!! Looks fantastic. All the best.

 
At 5/7/07 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm glad you had a great time in Alaska. shayla seems like she had an amazing time on this dream vacation and really seems to be a delightful child.

 
At 8/7/07 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was great! :)

Michelle Stokes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home