Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

$250 Donation to the Tiffin-Seneca Public Library in CT's Memory

(PHOTO: April 2003, CT at Tiffin Library on a break home from NYC)
If it was “She who dies with the most books wins,” Christi won!! (Hee hee! I know Christi won and is with Jesus!) I guess clearing out and cleaning up Christi’s closet wasn’t quite enough punishment for me, so I went and cleaned out every single drawer in her dresser and every single book on her (many) bookshelves. I’ll be polite and just say the girl had literally hundreds of books. I won’t mention how they were tossed, in no order whatsoever, in many of her drawers and yet in other places they were neatly arranged in "rainbow order" on bookshelves - what a hoot! I am willing to bet she read the vast majority of them, but I did a lot of shaking my head and crying while reading many loving inscriptions of the books given to her by loving supporters, friends and family members. Shayla also reminded us that Christi would "check out" books from Shayla's room as they had their own little library system going. Shayla laughed as she told us, "I checked out books from her library too, but when I lost one she told me no more borrowing privileges."

Shayne said, “Isn’t it odd at the very end, how she reverted to reading little kids books?” Of course, I remember. When she was so weak, I read them to her. She couldn’t even open her eyes sometimes, but when I stopped she’d ask for another. I also remember, before she was so ill, the countless night we’d find her in her bed reading entirely too late at night. It seemed only natural to make a donation to the Children’s Department at the Tiffin Seneca Public Library, so we did. The only thing I have left to clean up out of Christi’s room is her desk and I am no way ready to do that yet - even though Shay Shay is enjoying being blessed with all of the new books, toys, games, crafts. I admit I love finding the special little treasurers and memories; however, once her desk has been cleaned that’s all that remains untouched. I was so excited to find a little stick of Chapstick that fell off of her bedside table and down on her bookshelf underneath. I quickly put some on imagining she was giving me a little kiss since her lips last touched it. Crazy, I'm certain to those who've not lost a loved one, but oh, how I miss that funny little bookworm and would give anything to receive a real kiss from her!!

Thanks to all of the people who have supported the Christi Thomas Memorial Fund! Keeping her memory alive, and helping others gives us great comfort!!
TITLES INCLUDE: Julie of the Wolves
The Cricket in Times Square
Mr. Poppers Penguins
The Cat Ate My Gymsuit
A Wrinkle in Time
No More Dead Dogs
Mrs. Frisby And The Rats Of Nimh
The Incredible Journey
Bunnicula
and one more, but the title has escaped me!



Christi was never able to read all of the books she wanted to read before her own story came to an end. Christi had a stack of books lined up, waiting to be read, when she died. With a $250.00 donation from the Christi Thomas Memorial Fund, the library purchased ten audio books Christi would have really enjoyed reading. The girls would often listen to stories as we would drive from place to place. We think this is a great tribute to a little girl who loved going to the library. The inscription in the audio books read, “In Memory and Celebration of Christi Thomas, an avid young reader.” I hope her friends, and all of the children in the county, check these books out and enjoy them as we know Christi would have. Hopefully, many will be able to enjoy them on their iPods/MP3 players as Shayla really enjoys now. Thanks for helping her story to continue.

6 Comments:

At 24/2/08 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, Shayne and Shayla, you guys are amazing! Christi must be so proud of her family doing such great things for others as she always did here on earth. She's so very loved and missed and her legacy will forever shine brightly.

Below is a little thanks from me to your family! My little niece Amelia is 5 days old now and has been home since friday. It's absolutely amazing how much you can love a little one! It's just the best feeling in the world getting to expierence her life. I live with my sister and brother in law so I see her sweet face all the time and we all just melt with every move she makes. Because of Christi and your family I've learned to enjoy the little things and I just thank God every day for blessing our family with this beautiful child. Thank you Christi for all you've taught me!

 
At 24/2/08 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you found the chapstick Angela. What a special gift that "Christi Kiss" must have been.
How wonderful that the CT Memorial Fund donated that money to the library. I have donated again to the fund, so that more can benefit in Christi's memory. I hope more of Christi's blog readers will do the same!

 
At 24/2/08 11:31 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

WOW! What a wonderful way to honor Christi. As I read the book titles, I kept thinking to myself: "I like that one, oh and that one, and I love that one..." Great selection!!

The picture of Christi at the library is another favorite of mine.

Loads of love,
Olivia

 
At 25/2/08 12:22 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

I'm sure Christi would love knowing that you donated books so that other children could enjoy them as much as she did. It's a special way to honour a very special girl. I'm glad you found the lip gloss; it's like a special sign in a way from your precious girl.

 
At 25/2/08 8:51 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Great title choices, some of my very favorites!

I'm sure Christi is pleased with the the selections!

Love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 25/2/08 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never lost someone very close to me, but I am a mother of a beautiful 4 year old little girl. In no way is the chapstick story crazy. There is only one word to describe what it really is.....Precious.

LC
Glasgow, KY

 

Post a Comment

<< Home