Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rest in Peace, Mia

(PIC: An 8th bday present - the guinea pig from Josh) As usual, Shayla hopped right out to check on her outside pets (Swiffer - the bunny and Mia - the guinea pig) when we got home yesterday afternoon. (Shayla has really been enjoying "Earth Literacy Camp" with a friend this week.) She walked in carrying Mia and said, "Can I bring her in for a little bit?" I told her, "Sure" but wondered why. Without asking, Shayla said, "She's not moving around much. Why isn't she trying to jump out of my hands like usual?" I thought that was odd, but was busy with lesson preparations and paper grading so I didn't think much about it until an hour later when I checked on Shayla and found Mia just sitting on her lap while she watched television. (Never did I realize that her pet and her grandpa were about to share the same "death date".)

I told her that wasn't normal and I was worried. She confided that she was worried too and she asked if she would die. When Shayne came home, he put together a cage for Mia for the living room. About 9:15, Shayla yelled, "Mom, do you think Mia died?" I went to the living room, sat down on the floor beside Shayla and discovered that she was no longer breathing. I told her she went to God's kingdom and wasn't it a great thing she was able to be with Mia when she died. She wasn't out in her cage by herself.

We all three sat on the floor and prayed for Mia's soul and asked Christi to please take care of Mia until Shayla is able to join them all. We shared what we liked best about Mia. Shayla said she would just look in her eyes and always feel happy. I liked when Shayne would "get her going" by "whooping" and Shayne enjoyed feeding her carrots. Shayla quietly cried for about thirty minutes until she was ready to let her go. Then Shayne placed Mia into the empty boot box recently purchased with Shayla's show boots in Amish Country. Shayla thought that would be the best casket for Mia. She selected her burial place, under the Mulberry tree out in the backyard. She cried herself to sleep last night. Rest in peace, little Mia. Shayla's had a summer full of life's lessons. (And NO we don't need a replacement pet, thank you very much!)
I think my insanity with photographs has rubbed off on Shayla. This morning while fixing Shayla's breakfast she asked, "Mom, do we have any pictures of Mia?" I told her, "Of course!"

(PIC: Christi, age 4, April 2002 - playing a game in the library for an Easter Party. A few months later, Christi was diagnosed with a body packed full of cancer. I still can't believe it. She always seemed to be the picture of good health!)

Just a Reminder: The Christi Thomas Family Closing Night will be held from 7-8 tomorrow at the Seneca East Public Library. We hope to see you there! There will be a magician and some great food! You are invited for the program, regardless of whether you participated in the summer reading program or not.

11 Comments:

At 30/7/08 8:39 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

How much you have grown in a 1 1/2 years, Shayla!!

I am so sorry that your pet Mia passed away. I was so sad when my cat died. Loads of hugs to you!

Angela, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow at the Christi Closing Night. I have no doubt it will be a huge success. That is absolutely one of my favorite Christi pictures.

Many hugs,
Olivia

 
At 30/7/08 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Shayla, I'm so very sorry to hear about Mia. Sending you a great big hug!

 
At 30/7/08 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla, I'm so sorry that Mia died. Mom is right though, she was so lucky that you were with her; I'm sure it made her feel better. I know that Christi will take good care of her for you.

Love,
Pat in CA

 
At 30/7/08 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla looked so excited to get Mia on her 8th birthday, so sweet! I hope it helped Shayla feel better knowing Christi could now take care of her cute little Mia for her. I love that picture of Christi in the library, you'd never be able to guess what what going on in her body as you said, she always looked so healthy. Love and miss you Christi!

 
At 31/7/08 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh Shayla, I'm so sorry about Mia! Do you think it's possible that he got heat stroke? We used to have a solid white bunny (like Swiffer) that we named Mr. Whiskers. I went to check on him in his cage one day, and found he had died. He was laying there earlier breathing really heavy.

Before this happened, I kept his cage in the house, but that proved to be too messy, so I put him outside in the shade. My daughter still blames me for his death.

Wendy Landers
Georgia

 
At 31/7/08 11:02 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Dearest Shayla,

I'm so very sorry to hear of the passing of Mia. She was sure lucky to have you to love and care for her.

Sending you much love and many (((HUGS)))- please have Mommy give you one from me!

With all my love,
Heather

 
At 31/7/08 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life lessons - how they hurt, yet how they make us stronger.

You all do such a fine job with preparing Shayla for her journey on the road of life.

Don't you wish every child could have two loving parents who not only had fulfilling lives of their own but also found time to enrich the lives of their children?

 
At 1/8/08 10:26 AM, Blogger Campagnette said...

I'm sorry for Mia, I hope Shayla knows how many she is loved and that it can help her to go trough sadness.

 
At 1/8/08 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sleep in peace Mia ! Shayla I'm so sorry that you lost your little guinea pig Mia - she is so cute ! I'm sure Christi will take good care of her in heaven for you shayla until you get there !

Amber xxx

 
At 1/8/08 11:44 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I'm so sorry Shayla! Mia was so cute!

 
At 3/8/08 4:46 PM, Blogger Leece said...

Dear Shayla, I'm very sorry that Mia has passed away, but I believe with all my heart that God gave our animals souls and that they have a place in Heaven. Christi will care for your little piggie while you care for her cats. Love and prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home