Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Anniversary

Happy Anniversary to mom and Joe (Nonee and Paw Paw). Eleven years ago today, with baby Christi in my arms, Father Joe performed the marriage of these two widows. I still can't believe my mom had the "guts" to go on a blind date, arranged by a mutual friend, but I am so glad she did. Joe is an absolutely wonderful step dad; I couldn't wish for a better one. I am so blessed to have this awesome anniversary couple in my life.

Shayla and I met them at a pumpkin patch early last night. While mom continued to take Shayla each year, I had not been there since Christi was alive. When I pulled up I told Shayla this one might be hard for me. She said, "It's ok mom. I'm ok. I'm used to it. I do things all the time by myself that I used to do with Christi." She had a ball.
(And Paw Paw even CRAWLED through the straw mazes with her because she was too scared to go alone - so sweet.)
This morning Paw Paw made his special oatmeal for her as we overnighted with them. Shayla's still talking about the wonderful "oakmeal" she ate this morning. (Oakmeal, a little joke because when Christi was little she couldn't pronounce oatmeal correctly and when she learned what she was doing she thought it was so funny and continued then to say oakmeal. Therefore Shayla thought for years that was really the way to say oatmeal - not that Christi was joking - so now Shayla continues to call it that.)



OLDIES BUT GOODIES:
Christi at the Pumpkin Patch's Corn Maze (October 2003)
Christi, Shelby, Shayla, Will and Grandma Nonee (October 2003)
2001
2001: Shayla and Christi with Grandma Nonee. I like to refer to these preschool years as the good old days, before Christi was diagnosed with cancer.
As always, mom's pictures are much better than mine so I'll have to post them here. I don't know how she does that, but we used to refer to her as our "Kodak Mom" and with good reason! Hee hee!



Later this morning we met Traci (aka "Harriet") at the Columbus Zoo. It was an incredible day! Traci is the sweetest! I'm so thankful we were able to share a special day with her.
The tigers were so active.
We all loved watching the amazing kangaroos. In this exhibit visitors are IN the "cage" with the kangaroos - so cool!
Before heading for home, we went downtown to the Children's Theatre to watch "Charlotte's Web" where Chris played the gander. The show was great! Thanks, Harriet!

2 Comments:

At 5/10/08 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow sounds like you all had a blast ! Shayla you look so sweet in your beautiful glasses ! The Pumpkin patch sounds like the place to be ! Angela I loved all of the photos - as usual ! And May I wish your amazing mummy Nonee and paw paw an amazing anniversary - I hope they Have lots more happy , long years together ! Shayla isso strong it's unbeliaveble that a 9 year old Child can stand up and say It's ok mom. I'm ok. I'm used to it. I do things all the time by myself that I used to do with Christi." ! - What an amazing child you have - Shayla must take after Her big/ Now Little sister !!! xxx Angela I feel Blessed to have come across this blog and Find out about you ! - Lots of love being sent to you ( and all the way from england ! - hehe ) Amber and Family xxx

 
At 5/10/08 6:14 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! It certainly sounds like you had a wonderful (and busy!) weekend.

Shayla, your comment was so profound. Thank you for sharing it here.

Much love,
Olivia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home