Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Prayers Please

Shayne is on his way home from Madison where he attended the Ohio State game vs. Wisconsin last night so Shayla and I went to Cedar Point today. Because Shayne met Eric (Christi's "Webby") at the University of Wisconsin in 2001, it seemed appropriate that he should take our OSU tickets and go with Eric to the game.

They also met up with two other grad students from banking school and all had dinner together. Ironically, of the four, none of them are bankers any more - wild! (And VERY WISE I might add in today's times.) Shayne has never once complained about paying my thousands of dollars of tuition every year so when he texted, "Our seats are in the 9th row on the 20 yard line - thank you" I was so happy!

When I went to Shayne's graduation, I met "Kirby" another banking student with a child fighting cancer. The last we knew, his son (Ryan) had been doing well, all things considered. After Shayne left for Wisconsin on Thursday morning, he sent me a horrific email telling me he met with Kirby and Ryan cancer has taken off and they're hoping for a clinical trial to open. Shayne said they shared many tears as their family is now exactly where we were in July of 2006. It's just sicking, absolutely vile. Kirby's 15 year old son doesn't want to give up. We were so lucky (I think) Christi didn't really know. I really believe she always thought another treatment was waiting for her. My prayers are with his whole family and if you find it in your heart, please join me. (Kirby made the ten hour drive to attend Christi's funeral!) Ryan should have years and years ahead of him. Kirby and his wife shouldn't be suffering like they are realizing they may outlive their child. Why must these kids suffer through treatments that don't even come with guaranteed with cures?! They deserve better! It's all just sickening!

Here's a bit of the email Shayne sent: Ryan's oncologist told them that his cancer has become more aggressive and there are now multiple tumors scattered around the right side of his brain; surgery is no longer an option. There is currently no cure for the type of cancer that Ryan has. Ryan's answer to this? "I am not ready to give up the fight!" Kirby and Amy spent a lot of time talking with Ryan's oncologist; they discussed his 9-year battle with this cancer, his strength, his courage, his determination to live each day to its fullest and "fun-est". Kirby and Amy said that there are things that stand out in their minds about that day:

· Ryan high-fived his neurosurgeon and told him that he's an outstanding doctor and has done a great job through all of his surgeries over the past 9 years. (Can you imagine that??? Ryan thanking and complimenting the surgeon and building up his confidence just after he learned that his cancer is inoperable! If that's not strength, I don't know what is.)

· Ryan hugging his oncologist and telling her that even though God can't cure his cancer now, his faith in Him is strong and he will continue praying for the miracle that can help.

Due to Christi's situation, Shayne was not able to graduate with his class, but he did graduate a year later. Kirby came to Shayne's graduation and this is a picture of him going up on stage to hug Shayne. (Yes, that's Shayne! He let his bald head grow out with long hair just like Christi's did....only to have Christi shave it off again when she lost hers.) These guys certainly share a special bond. It makes me cry to look at this picture knowing what fabulous dads they are and that they certainly do not deserve the hand they've been given.

Here's the link to Ryan's website (or click on the colored text above): http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/ryandavidson

Great gal, great weather - I had a lovely afternoon at Cedar Point. Shayla commented, "Cedar Point is totally different in the fall. I really like it here." I hope we can go back yet this fall with Shayne. It really is fun (and different) in the fall.

6 Comments:

At 6/10/08 5:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just had to say that I had season passes to Six Flags Great Adventure all throughout my teen years. My favorite time to go was ALWAYS in the fall. There was something about a cool autumn night and the thrill of the rides to get me all excited!! Not to mention that they always had the park decorated for halloween (one of my favorite holidays!)
I am so glad that Shayla is enjoying her self. She deserves every smile and more! What a beauty!
In my thoughts & Prayers
Staci C.
NJ

 
At 6/10/08 5:18 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

My heart goes out to Ryan and his family. This is simply not fair at all. They are all in my thoughts and prayers. I am in awe of Ryan's strength, courage and love.

Many hugs,
Olivia

 
At 6/10/08 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shay looks great with her new glasses!! Glad you enjoyed a weekend of fun at Cedar Point. I'll definitely be praying for Ryan & will check his CB site now.

:) Erin

 
At 6/10/08 7:19 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your friend Kirby's son Ryan.

Of course they are in my prayers.

You're right it is unjust and unfair.

With love,
Heather

 
At 6/10/08 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great game it was on Saturday too! Glad to hear that Shayne got to go. You guys should've called and let us know you were going to CP. Nick and I had considered going and then just never did, but we might've gone if we knew you guys were going to be there!

I will certainly keep Ryan and his family in my prayers. How awful for a child to really understand what is happening to them that way. Just this past weekend Kevin lost a classmate who had been fighting cancer for the past 6 years and the kid was always online doing research and trying to find new treatments for his doctors to try. That's just not something a child should have to do!

Hey...you wouldn't by chance happen to have one of those Ohio State little block O temporary tattoos that people put on their cheeks for the games? If you do and you wouldn't mind dropping it in the mail for me, that would be awesome! We're having this "tailgate" party at work next Thursday and I'd love to have one. If not, don't worry about it!

Love,
Chris

 
At 7/10/08 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Thomas Family!
Love the pumpkin patch pics with Shayla....she is looking so grown up and Congrats to Nonee & PawPaw. While watching the game on Saturday...I wondered if you were there and talked to my husband about you, Christi and your family. The game was great...until the end :) I'm glad Shayne had great seats and met-up with some old pals. No OSU gear? Loved the pic with Bucky! Thinking of you!
Amy Brown
Gleason, WI

 

Post a Comment

<< Home