Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It's All Wrong

(PIC: Taken at Chuck E Cheese)It's all wrong! Those were the words spoken to me regarding Shayla's new school as she went upstairs to bed last night. I knew enough to keep my mouth shut but I wanted to explain, "It's not wrong; it's "different"; it's "new", but I knew at that point just to be silent and respectful. I know this is very hard for her.

Shayla wouldn't admit it I'm sure, but I do think day #2 was a wee bit better. As soon as she got off the bus she hopped in my van (said it was "the same as the first") and we drove into town to the school she will go to for the city school's HEIGHTS program, a full day pull out program for high cognitive kids. I absolutely fell in love with her gifted teacher. The woman is amazing! I could go on and on about her background and experience, but I don't think there's enough room here. Our meeting was only to last 30 minutes, but it lasted nearly 2 hours as I really hit it off with the teacher (and Shayla did too). I then had to rush to Heidelberg to teach so I didn't really get any information out of her. Shayne took her home and then right back to "The Music Man" practice. She starts HEIGHTS today; hopefully, that will be a positive experience for her. (Her complaints are not about people, but "things" so I know she's fine.....the building is old, the toilets don't or won't flush, etc.) I know she's in good hands (but that doesn't make me rest any easier knowing what I've done to her).

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE KIND, VERY, VERY KIND and THOUGHTFUL COMMENTS LEFT FOR HER! Amazingly sweet!

6 Comments:

At 29/4/09 4:05 PM, Blogger Auntie Mip said...

Sweet Shayla,

I am so sorry the transition to your knew school has been so hard. Change is never easy...even for us grown ups! I am going to let you in on a little secret. You and I...we are alot a like. My big brother died when I was a kid like you...it was so hard. he had leukemia and was sick for 4 long years. I am all grown up now, a nurse who takes care of kids with cancer. Whenever I am sad or scared ar mad I always know that if I talk to my brother I feel better. I bet if you have a chat with Christi, she will find a way to help you out. She is not so far away sweetheart...just look down belw your left shoulder where your heart is...she is right there.

You are in my payers kiddo!

 
At 29/4/09 9:19 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Many hugs to you, Angela. I am sure it will all be something she'll be giggling about very soon. I hope the day at HEIGHTS went well!

 
At 29/4/09 11:34 PM, Blogger Emmers said...

Good luck at the gifted program Shayla!

 
At 30/4/09 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can sympathize with Shayla. I grew up an Army "brat" and I went to a new school every 6 months to 18 months. It was hard and I was miserable being the 'new' girl. When my daddy finally retired I was in the 8th grade and I was so happy to know I wouldn't have to be the 'new' girl again. But, I survived and I look back on it now and have no regrets. I hope Shayla will brighten back up and find her place. Hugs!

 
At 30/4/09 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had to describe Shayla, I think I'd have to fall back on those old-timey adjectives like "plucky" and "moxie". What a delight she is! She will thrive in this school!

 
At 30/4/09 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla,
Glad to hear things are improving a "wee bit!" Hang in there, - I went to Tiffin City Schools & it's not so bad, I promise. I actually transferred from Lima, OH when I was in the fourth grade. I went to Washington Elementary though. It was a huge adjustment, but I soon grew to love it - & the people are amazing!
I know you're used to a brand new school, but just wait til middle school - that building is still pretty new & you may feel more at home! ;)
Take care sweetie!

Lelia
Sycamore, OH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home