Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Healthy Kid - Busy Kid - PTL!

Last Thursday night, Shayla finished her second basketball league's games. She learned a lot this year.
She was on the "purple team", #3.







Wow! This poet/author, from New Orleans, was amazing Saturday at BGSU! Shay and I had a great day on campus. Some of my wonderful students were there! The amazing event was worked by our early childhood education majors and our reading GAs.

That night we took Shay and a sweet friend to see "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid". It was wonderful, absolutely perfect for these two girls soon to enter middle school and also for me - a teacher educator of middle school teachers.

I'm not able to get the little video clip of Shayla introducing Brod to load, but I thought she did a great job (bias mom, of course!). (Funny thing: She couldn't remember his last name so she decided not to say it and she soon learned that Brod could not remember her name either!)











One of Brod's poems (of course he did not present during his silly and entertaining presentation) is quite serious. It is called "The Empty Desk"
The say I have a gentle touch
And that's why they sent her to me.
So she spent her days in my clssroom,
In the first desk of the third row.
She listened,
She learned,
And she blossomed like a morning glory.
I can still remember her smile,
The day I stood beside her desk
As she pressed purple crayon to paper white
And ended the arch of her rainbow.
She spent her last days with me,
Right here in my classroom,
In this desk,
The first desk of the third row.
Because I have a gentle touch...
That's why they sent her to me.

Monday night was Shayla's school's 4th and 5th grade spring concert. The music teacher did a fantastic job! They kids were all great!


n


Last night, Shayla presented to the Tiffin City School board about the distance learning / exchange they did with the fifth graders in London, England.
It was a great experience for her. As a fifth grader I never would have had the courage to speak in front of a panel of adults (with microphones in front of them) and with the local cable TV news there filming too - yikes! She was fine.



I had a most wonderful lunch today with Jennifer (Kids Cancer Crusade). What a delight she is and what a remarkable person too. I can't believe she will be a pediatric oncology nurse very soon. When we stood outside the education building on campus today saying our goodbyes, she invited us to her pinning. She said, "The reason I am going to be a nurse is because of your family." It was all I could do not to choke up. Oh, we actually have other plans that day, but I'm going to see what I can do. That was really moving. I walked to my car with tears streaming down my face. What a sweetie! I know she misses Christi too.

1 Comments:

At 25/3/10 3:59 AM, Blogger Amy K said...

Wow Shayla, very impressive! I'm certain God has great things in store for you - keep up the great work...you are blessed with such wonderful parents and role models!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home