Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

I thank God that I was able to finish my 27 page research paper just in the nick of time last week. (I was at Staples having copies made at 7pm Thursday night with a three hour drive ahead of me.) Thankfully, my presentation went very, very well. I've never really waited until the very last minute like that ever before, but praise God it worked out for me - this time. I will try not to ever do that again; it was way too stressful for me. While waiting for my turn to present at the conference I received a email from Shayne checking on me. I responded, "I'm next. There are 200 people here. I'm following a professor from Harvard! Why me?! I'm scared, out of my league and really intimidated now. I did not sleep well at all."

Shayne told me that after the conference I should do something fun, like meet him at the Memorial golf tournament in Columbus where he had two tickets from a client for the tournament including a hospitality tent with food and drink. I've heard of that event at Muirfield so I agree. We had a ball! It was the perfect way to celebrate a huge weight being lifted, with the conference behind me, and to enjoy my sweet husband's company. We had never gone to a golf event together before. It was such a polite, respectful atmosphere; amazing ettiquite and respectable dress. I loved it! Thanks, Shayne!


Shayla took a friend with her to the lake this weekend and we all had a grand time. Well, until our jet ski sucked up the tow rope from the tube the three of them were pulling behind the jet ski. They had to swim themselves back to shore. I watched from my chair on the beach, unable to help - until I waded out with the big knife which cut the tube free. What a hoot! Thank God they weren't too far off shore.

(PIC: Riding out, swimming back!) I think I'm going to have to learn how to drive a boat so I can get out there and help next time. On Sunday, without a jet ski, we didn't know what to do so we asked the girls if they wanted to take the bikes over to Put-in-Bay for the day and of course they did.

We boarded the Jet Express and had a glorious time relaxing on the island. I'm teaching full time this summer, working with some teachers on independent studies and have some other writing projects going on and presentations I'm preparing for so getting away from my work this weekend was a refreshing reprieve.

Recently, I finished reading two great books. Last week: "Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas" by Abby Sunderland and Lynn Vincent and this week: "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent.The first book was given to me by another professor and the second was recommended by a sweet Blogger friend and Christi lover, Sylvia, so I bought it last week in Amish Country. Both books were incredibly captivating; I couldn't put them down. I highly recommend both and I was so amazed that Lynn Vincent helped write both - crazy weird, really! Shayla was so intrigued by what I was sharing with her while reading "Heaven is for Real", she read it from start to finish - 192 pages - in just a day herself.


A very special "THANK YOU" to the awesome aunt Marty for watching Shayla for us last week.

Shayla's first 4H Mounted Meeting of the year went well Monday night. We were hoping this new horse we are leasing would do a good job with the other horses and in a new setting at the fairgrounds. It's like your on pins and needles until you actually observe the horse with the other horses and in the areana. Thankfully, all went well. There is work to be done, but I think Dusty was a good choice for her this year. (Given the fact we had to give her bday present back - LOL!)Christi, we miss you so much! Shayla read there are rainbow horses in Heaven and told me if that is really true, she knows you are riding one! I bet so too! You loved your "rainbow order" and horses; what a perfect combination for you, sweetpea!

This weekend Shayla (black bottom, lavendar skirt and top - practice clothing) will dance in her 8th recital. We will award the 5th annual Christi Thomas Memorial Scholarship at Dance Unlimited and I choke up just thinking about the reason we give the scholarships each year. I wonder if Christi still would have loved dance and what she would have looked like dancing on stage this year as a 14 year old.
I will never know, but I will put on a brave face, share a few words about her and be glad most others will never know the pain of losing a child. While it pains us greatly we feel it's still a good way for us to "give back" as so many helped out in countless ways during Christi's four year battle. We can't pay them back or say thank you, but this makes us feel like we too are helping others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home