Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Pet Day




Before I tell my side of the story, I'd like to share our deepest "Thomas Team Thanks" for the incredibly kind "comments" that have been shared with us daily via this blog. Although we don't respond back to you as Eric (Webby) tells us we could we laugh, cry, Praise, thank and talk back with you in our minds. And recently, I've received quite the education about hamsters from Christi's loving "blog" readers. You are amazing! THANK YOU! We are humbled!

As far as my "holding" of the Hamsters, I think my dear husband was a wee bit inaccurate in his observations! I was sitting there, as calmly as I could - still stunned from the new arrivals, when Shayla put one on my leg and sweetly and proudly said, "Isn't it the cutest thing? Touch it, Mom." One little pet of that wiggly little critter - that was ALL I did!

"No Regrets" (to borrow a phrase we've adopted from our good NB refractory fighting friends in Oklahoma, Go Nick!) is the reason I finally decided just to take her to the ER last night. I kept saying it to Shayne. Christi had been complaining for about 24 hours of not being able to breathe and that her lungs seemed to be only the size of baseballs and that she was out of breath. I knew I'd never sleep a wink due to fear and I felt that if she passed during the night I'd never be able to live with myself so with "no regrets" I called my dear sweet friend (I met Becky in kindergarten!) and asked her to meet me at the hospital.

“Medusa” had a pretty good day, but she's far from being up to par. Currently, she's in the shower as she wanted to "try to get the rats out of my hair." (I’m thinking Medusa and snakes, but to each his own! Hee hee). Still she has no fever and we're thankful about that. I'm hoping we can all return to school on Monday; however, Shayne thinks she'll be getting blood transfusions at the hospital instead. Christi woke up about 11 AM and we took a two hour nap together later. She's been on dilaudid (narcotic for pain) pretty much 24/7. Her throat and mouth sores are nasty. I know she's not feeling the best because typically she's very polite; however, at one point during our nap she rolled over and said to me, "Tell me again, you're here why?" I responded that I was so tired from our late night at the hospital and if I got up I'd have to start cleaning the kitchen or something." She giggled. Then said, "I really only want three things for my birthday." (3 long months away!) So to appease her I asked, "What?" and she replied. "A Siamese cat, the fancy assessory set for my American Girl horse and to spend a week - ALONE at Aunt Tina's." So it appears she's still a bit "concerned" about Shayla and her new pets. Siblings! I attached a picture of the girls (Yes, that is Christi with her "new do" and the hamsters since many have asked via the blog to see them.)

The noon-two party is still on for Shayla's birthday tomorrow. We believe that Christi is probably most likely to infect herself with germs so we shall carry on and try not to worry too much about her ANC of zero. (We know we can't live life in a bubble.) Furthermore, I'm concerned that if we postpone it until next weekend something may happen with Christi and then poor Shayla never will get her 7th birthday party. Thanks to my family it's all set: My sister is bringing all of the food up from Cincinnati. (She called me and joked today, "I guess we are 50% of the people so we'll just eat it if you cancel.") Grandma Nee Nee is bringing the drinks, Grandma Donna the cake, An Angel from "Hugs and Hope" sent the paper goods and candles and Aunt Marty took our list of ideas to Mansfield and purchased Shayla's gifts. Thanks, all! It seems like time and time again it is Shayla that is overlooked. That won't be the case tomorrow! Last night when I left with Christi she was very concerned - standing at the door then the window waving goodbye to us and blowing us kisses. I wish I could get into her little mind. We love her so!

Angela

32 Comments:

At 11/2/06 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the hamsters are cute whats the other one called?

 
At 11/2/06 6:05 PM, Blogger Kait said...

Well Angela,

Look at the picture of Christi at the book store on the 4th and the picture of her today have brought Happy Happy tears to my eyes. Look at that sweet sweet eye and how much better it looks! "No Regrets!" Thomas team because it's very clear that that chemo did something very good to that nasty cancer! What is this fancy horse accessory set Christi has her eyes on? *smile* Love and prayers and a Happy Early Birthday to your sweetie Shayla!

 
At 11/2/06 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Thomas Team,
Angela I totally agree. Glad that Kristi didnt have to be admitted. Praying that you will start feeling a whole lot better soon. Those are neat names for your pets.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! SHAYLA

Loved the pictures. Thankyou for sharing them with us.
Christi betcha you and Shayla have a neat american girl collection a new accessorie sounds really cool.

Hope you all have wonderful day tomorrow and a awesome b-day party!!
Praying for you daily,
Take Care and God Bless,
Julianne and Family

 
At 11/2/06 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh OK I see what Hamsters are now!
I think here in Australia we call them RATS! Hehehe.

Christi is looking heaps better, hopefully the pain will subside very soon.

Best wishes
Colleen - Kaitlyn's mum

 
At 11/2/06 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Thomas's

So glad you are together in the comfort of your own home. Quite the house full of pets..funny what we do for our kids. I'm glad we only have cats and a dog...so far. Happy birthday to Shayla. I'm sure Mom will send me lots of pictures.

Love to All - Lora

 
At 11/2/06 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Thomas Team
Just yet another note to let you know we are always praying for you. We hope Christi feels better. I like the idea of a Siamese cat fund. We would love to donate towards that.
Feel better Christi and I hope you got the snakes washed out of your hair. I'm sure you look beautiful.
Happy Happy Birthday Shayla. I am happy you got your hamsters. Take good care of them.
kisses and hugs from San Diego
Jodie and Karlie

 
At 11/2/06 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many prayers for Christi this evening. Lord heal her!!
Megan in NC

 
At 11/2/06 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Thomas Team,
I do not know you, but I came across Christi's site from visiting another child's Caring Bridge site. I live in NW Florida and have been following Christi's story for about 2 months. Stay strong and know she and your family are in my prayers. Christi, I hope you get your simease cat for your birthday and I hope Shayla has a great birthday tomorrow. In my prayers always,
Anissa Hagendorfer, NW Florida panhandle

 
At 11/2/06 10:03 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Hello sweet Thomas Team,

Loving the pictures of the girls with their pets. :)

I hope Christi's mouth sores get to feeling better very soon. Poor little thing.

Have a GREAT birthday tomorrow Shayla!!

Lots of Love and tons of prayers,

Heather

 
At 11/2/06 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, Shayne,

Just want you to know that we check your site every day and think about you constantly. Christi is an absolute beautiful young lady. Stay in the fight and keep the faith! You're in great care with Dr. Maris running the show. Here's hoping the Carboplatin and VP16 are doing their thing!!!

The Messina's
Boston, MA

 
At 11/2/06 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you COULD always buy two more hamsters for Christi...they eat (and cost) less than a Siamese cat does:) Good luck with that situation, mom and dad! LOL Watch out or you'll end up with a menagerie like my sister has in her home...it even includes a pet rooster named Pringles (he loves potato chips)! =0)

Christi's eyes look SO much better in the new pictures. Your girls are such absolute dolls. I give you credit because I'd have a hard time saying no to anything those little sweeties requested:)

Happy Birthday, Miss Shayla...I hope you have a lovely party, sweetie.

Christi, I know those shots are terrible and I wish I could take them for you. Since I can't do that, try squeezing your eyes shut real tight and chanting, "It's no big deal" over and over again until the shot is finished. My big 13 year-old son is afraid of shots too but when he does that, he says they're not as bad. It's worth a try:) Eric, on the other hand, actually likes getting shots. There's something not right about that kid! Personally I think it's all an act because he knows his big brother is afraid of them:) Hang in there, kiddo...you have lots of people praying that your counts come up quickly. Big hugs!!!

 
At 11/2/06 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just sending you extra prayers Thomas Team! Amen to no regrets! Go with your gut. I hope Bunny and Hamster, or Hamster and Bunny (how cute Shayla)and the other hamster bring Shayla a few smiles. She is wise beyond her years. I hope she has a wonderful birthday party! I pray Christi's counts improve. Bless you all!
Megan in NC
www.geocities.com/tomthefreebird/

 
At 12/2/06 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be surprised if this message is allowed through.. but here goes...

I'm with Christi on the whole pet idea! I've been thinking about it ALL day.

There's only one way you guys (Angela and Shayne) as parents can make up for this.

My solution...

CHRISTI NEEDS A PONY!!!

 
At 12/2/06 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHAYLA!
HAVE FUN AT YOUR PARTY!
GOD BLESS YOU, LOVE, ELLEN AND THE HANSON KIDS

 
At 12/2/06 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Christi and Thomas family. Christi you look so good and have a great smile on your face keep fighting this beast . Jesus and all his angels love you so much . We are on our way to church and we will say a great big prayer for you . Happy birthday Shayla :)

Hugs and kisses and our hearts are going your way .

Counts Family UpperSandusky ,Ohio

Church of the Nazarene has a heart for all of you .

 
At 12/2/06 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today is your BIG DAY, Shayla! Happy Birthday!

A card is in the mail, but as you know, it will be late!

Cute names for your critters!

I hope today is a better day for Christi and the entire Thomas Team!

Prayers, hugs, and blessings to all!

In Christian love,

Lynda

 
At 12/2/06 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SHAYLA!!!!
I hope your birthday goes well today! Christi, I hope you feel well today. Both of you girls have fun!!
A new follower of Christi's story in NW Florida;)
Anissa Hagendorfer

 
At 12/2/06 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm thinking of you all! i will pray for a good day today (sunday) for shayla's party and that christi is feeling better!

peace to you all!
kate.

 
At 12/2/06 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Thomas Team,

So glad you got out of Philly when you did!! There's over a foot of snow on the ground right now and it's still coming down at 10:00AM on Sunday. On the bright side, though, they say temps might hit 50 degrees by Thursday. Anyway, I just want you to know that prayers are still continuing here for Christy. The photo you posted yesterday of Christi reveals what appears to be a tremendous improvement in her eye. I'm sorry about the mouth sores and I hope you can get that pain under control.

Good luck with the new pets......sounds like you could open the Thomas Zoo!!

 
At 12/2/06 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Shayla! I hope you have a wonderful party with your terrific family and new pets.
Wasn't it special of Abe Lincoln to be born on your birthday?
HAVE A WONDERFUL 7TH BIRTHDAY AND ENTIRE YEAR!

 
At 12/2/06 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christi (or 'Medusa' - haha) is looking great! Her eyes both look nearly perfect! I hope and pray that the chemo in her is still killing every last cancer cell and that the bumps are soon nowhere to be seen. Good luck with Shayla's party today and I will look forward to the updates! Your family is so wonderful and Shayla has handled everything so well. God bless!

 
At 12/2/06 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What lovely pictures. I hope the party goes without a hitch and everyone has fun. Prayers, prayes, prayers, On the 'wish list' cat front... I used to work in a cat shelter. If you want to talk her out of a siamese it might dampen her enthusiasm to know Siamese don't always make great pets for children. If Christie thought it would be a lap cat that liked a fuss, well, to be honest a lot of siamese aren't like that. they can be aloof and very independent and I've seen kiddies disappointed. Of course there are exceptions, but we used to home them with quiet older people. Maybe Christie could be talked into something else...my heart goes out to you that three months is a long time. Oh that all little ones could live to be old. Prayers for you all and thank you for letting us share your experiences through the sites. God bless

 
At 12/2/06 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, Thank you so much for posting the picture of Christi and Shalya with your new family members. I loved Chriti's hair style. She looks like one of the kids from the rock bands. She looks better than she did a few days ago even with the wild hair. Please know that you all are in my prayers. Happy 7th Birthday to Shayla. We wouldn't want to forget her. God Bless you all. Ellen

 
At 12/2/06 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray for you to have a WONDERFUL day today :) Miss Shayla have a WONDERFUL and HAPPY BIRTHDAY :) Christi we continue to pray and pray for you each and every day :) I hope you feel well today sweetie

 
At 12/2/06 1:34 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHAYLA!!!

Hope you enjoyed your party today!!

A big hug for you sweet girl. :)

Lots of Love,
Heather

 
At 12/2/06 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What VERY cute girls... and hamsters too *wink* :O)
I've had three hamsters (Chum, Sisqo, and Tequila) and they are the best pets ever except when they escape and go wandering the house (they are pretty crafty too!)

I hope that you all have a very blessed day, that Christi feels well and that sweet Shayla has the happiest of birthdays!

We love you all!!
~Rachel

 
At 12/2/06 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Shayla!!! Hope you had a good 7th birthday.

 
At 12/2/06 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the pictures, that really is some hairdo that Christy has,I hope Shayla has a fantastic birthday party tommorrow she deserves it she is such a sweet little girl,I hope your whole family has a great day.
Praying daily for Christy as allways and sending you all tons of good wishes from the UK.

 
At 12/2/06 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the photo, it looks like Christi's right eye is back to normal! Hope she's feeling great today!

 
At 12/2/06 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Christi! I love your new hair-do hehe. I am also glad to see that your eyes look better in that lovely photo of you and Shayla with the hamsters :) I hope you are feeling better soon.

Keep fighting, honey.

 
At 12/2/06 8:59 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHAYLA!!!

 
At 12/2/06 9:15 PM, Blogger Brigid and Celie said...

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday, DEAR SHAYLA!
Happy Birthday to you!!!

My daddy says you're lucky that you have to read this. You wouldn't want to hear us in person!

Have a really COOL day, Shayla!

XOXOXO
Brigid and Celie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home