Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, May 22, 2006

BSO / L-PAM

Thankfully, Shayne wonderful cousins- Corrinne and Tony, arrived safely. When I called last night Christi had talked Corrinne into playing, "Herd Your Horses". (I doubt Christi knows these two awesome individuals used to both be Officers in the U.S. Navy!! I wonder who will be in charge and giving the orders this week, hee hee!)

Earlier when I called, she was being whisked off for a chest X-ray to set a baseline. In order to start the trial, she needed to have a Hgb. of "10". Christi's was only 8.1 so they tranfused her with packed red blood cells last night. (Thank you, once again, blood donors.) Her other counts were low, but okay at: 47 platelets, 4.4 white with an ANC of 2,552.

Dr. Maris is back from the conference and he'll be tending to Christi daily- including giving her her stem cells back on Friday. At this point in time, we do not believe she's not going to be going ahead with the BSO/L-PAM attempt; therefore, I'll share info regarding it. This will be the harshest chemo attempt she's ever seen:

One drug she'll be infused with is buthionine sulfoximine (BSO), which sensitizes the cells to alkylating chemo agents (melphalan). They are exploring the molecular mechanisms by which BSO kills neuroblastoma and the mechanisms by which BSO enhances alkylating agent efficacy. Based on the pre-clinical studies they have carried out a clinical trial of BSO and melphalan for neuroblastoma and they saw some remarkable responses in that trial, which has led them to conduct other clinical studies to understand how this unique drug improves cancer cell killing. We know she will not go into remission as a result of these drugs; however, we hope and pray that it really destroys most of the neuroblastoma cells while not being as hard on her as we are preparing for.

On Saturday, I went on my first waterslides ever. Christi wanted me to go and how could I say no? Before getting in line, she went over my fears with me:

C-Exactly what are you afraid of, Mom?
A-Dying.
C-How?
A-Drowning.
C-Let's watch the others. See! They barely get wet when they land. Anything else?
A-Going too fast down the slide and flying out.
C-Look! There are people bigger and smaller than you and no one flies out.

Well, off we went - three big water slides, one water rollercoaster, one happy child checking on me (What do you think, Mom? Isn't this fun?) and one scared mama.....so happy I now have those memories to treasure! Thank you, dear Lord!

Although extremely anxious to return to Philly on Friday and although with a heavy heart this morning with anxiety about what is to come this week, Shayla and I are now heading off for a day of school. Here's wishing you and yours a great day!!

5 Comments:

At 22/5/06 10:33 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

I cannot imagine the axiety that you must feel today wheile you are so far away from Christy.

Rest in God today and tomorrow and the day after that. I know this is SO much easier said than done . I will be praying for you. I will be praying that God turns your fears and anxieties, into Joy in the Lord!

Psalm 94:14-19.

For the LORD will not reject his people;
he will never forsake his inheritance.

15 Judgment will again be founded on righteousness,
and all the upright in heart will follow it.

16 Who will rise up for me against the wicked?
Who will take a stand for me against evildoers?

17 Unless the LORD had given me help,
I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death.

18 When I said, "My foot is slipping,"
your love, O LORD, supported me.

19 When anxiety was great within me,
your consolation brought joy to my soul.

 
At 22/5/06 10:35 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

I would also like to suggest that you read John 10. It is an wonderful chapter in the Bible about God's (The Shepherd's) protection and care for us (the sheep).

Praying.

 
At 22/5/06 4:23 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Hi Shayne! Hello Christi! Happy Monday! I am SOOOO glad that you had a good time this past weekend. You know what my favorite part of the weekend was? Getting to meet mom and Shayla at the airport. But I am sooo sad that we missed you two....so I guess we'll just have to do something about that won't we? Christi, does Shayla talk that much all of the time? heheheehehe!!! We LOVED it! ...especially Michele because she got to gab with her the most. Shayla, you are indeed a cutie pie. Thank you for keeping Michele occupied while mom and I gabbed away! : ) Christi, love that smile! Hope to see you soon. love, Sylvia

 
At 22/5/06 6:41 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Praying hard that things are going "smoothly" with the BS0/LPAM trial.

May this help to decrease the amount of cancer in sweet Christi's body.

Always, always praying for her miracle of complete healing here on earth.

I'm glad that Mom was able to overcome her fears and ride the water slides with Christi and Shayla.

Much love to you all!

I love you!

My love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 24/5/06 1:32 AM, Blogger Melinda Auld said...

All my thoughts and prayers are with you in this new "trial" with Christi. I sincerely pray that this chemo has the effect all of us are hoping for. It seems that Christi has the makings of an excellent counsellor, too, Angela, after her skillful advice and success in getting you down that water slide!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home