Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Countdown to Christi


Shayla and I are trying to keep very busy this week to keep our minds off of Christi. Today we went to Cedar Point after school with one of Shayla's school friends who also has a Season Pass. We are counting down the days (and hours) until our plane lands back in Philadelphia. I can't believe how much I've missed her and how I've worried myself sick about her. Just walking into her empty bedroom to put her laundry away this week made my heart fall; I'm so thankful that I can put her laundry away when I know of many others who simply cannot as their children no longer create dirty laundry to clean.

Am I really 500 miles away while she's getting a harsh chemo cocktail which has killed others? Ugh, I know the answer and I can't wait to get back to CHOP to put my arms around her in person just as soon as possible! Time with her is so precious! Tomorrow is the last day of school. It will come with mixed emotions. Today I already cried while reading some of the incredible letters my sweet students wrote about my classroom. (I had them write letters to next year's students telling them what to expect in my class.) Seeing the 8th graders, especially, move on to high school made me cry last year and I'm certain I'll spend it shedding some tears tomorrow too. These kids are just amazing!!

On the other hand, our suitcase is packed and I'm anxious to get back to Christi! The web cam is great, but it's not the same as being there. Plus the other night I couldn't get her to come to the computer up close so I could see her. I had to hold Buckeye up on my end so Christi had a good reason to come over and let me have a close look at her beautiful face. (laugh) She was too busy drawing in her bed and watching a DVD to care that I wanted to see her! What a hoot! I do think being connected to the IV pole also slows her down.

I've been avoiding her teacher, her friends, and her classroom this week because I can't handle the reminder that Christi isn't there. Some sweetheart brought me a huge bag with all of her personal items from her desk in it; I haven't been able to bring myself to go through it yet, but I will. (I always love reading her journal. Shhhhhh!) Her teacher also sent home a "Quilt of compliments" which is to be treasured. Each classmate wrote about their fellow 4th grade classmates. Christi's comments included:

You're very funny and nice.
You're great at drawing.
Youre a very funny person and fun to be with.
You're a very sweet and cool person.
You are a great friend.
You are good at making up games.
You are my best friend.
You have a good sense of humor.
You are a very cool best friend.
You are a smart one.
You're the best friend a girl could want.
You're a funny person.
You go, girl.
You're funny.
She is a very funny person when it comes to freinds.
Your artwork is awesome.
You are one of the fairest people I know.
A very nice friend.
You are so cool. You make me fall down.
Very funny!
You rock!

3 Comments:

At 24/5/06 10:30 PM, Blogger Candy said...

I couldn't agree more...Christi, you definitely rock! Rock on, girl:)

 
At 25/5/06 5:02 AM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Angela and Shayla...good morning!

Thank you God for amusement parks and friends to help pass the time, keep minds busy, and bring smiles!

What affirmation from fellow classmates!...I smiled and nodded reading each one...and after meeting Christi in person last evening I would like to add:

Your smile brightens up any room.
You know how to keep a 23 yr old entertained and happy!
You are beautiful inside and out.
You are a blessing to all who meet you.

Counting hours with you...
love, sylvia

 
At 25/5/06 6:37 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Aww what kind sweet things Christi's friends wrote about her. I'm not a bit suprised.

I'd write You're the bravest kid I know!

Shayla looks adorable! What fun to go to Cedar Point.

Have a good last day of school. I'm also not suprised that your students had kind things to say about YOU! You're AWESOME!!

I love you all dearly!

Much love- many prayers,
Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home