Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Thursday

Back at Dave & Laura's again.......

I spoke with Shayne a bit ago. Christi's day was about the same as yesterday's and Shayne's was again stressful like yesterday. (He had to run- literally, back to CHOP as another chemo arrived for CT.) Like yesterday she was again only awake about 5 hours. The pain is still there and the drugs must be helping, but simply not enough. Regardless, she is waking up and taking her meds like the true "Warrior Princess" she is! She did want to go to the Barnes & Noble; however, today she was too uncomfortable in her jogging stroller or in a borrowed wheelchair to allow them to make the jaunt, just a few blocks away. Nevertheless, she did read some books and watched some TV snuggled up with Shayne while she was able to stay awake. Her eating as really decreased.

I received an amazing phone call just a bit ago from a "Christi Fan in Ireland" - no kidding! Absolutely amazing! So prayers are being send across the ocean today. Shayne wrote the following last night, then his phone wouldn't allow him to type any more or to post it to the blog so here it is, a day late.

FROM Shayne

"Lighter Reflections"

Although we have been burdened with a lot of pain and medical stuff, Christi and I have managed a few smiles. Since I can't sleep again, I thought I would share a few smiles.

Last night it became clear that the oxicodine was not going to control Christi's pain. I decided that the next time she cried out that I would give her dilaudid- starting with a half. Through the loving foresight of my sister I am able to make all of Christi's medicine into uniform capsules. My sister has provided me with a pill crusher and a pill cutter as well as the necesary empty caps. Since I was going to give christi a half, I cut the dilaudid and placed into two capsules. When she awoke she was in terrible pain so I decided to give her the whole dose. She looked at me and said, "Dad why in the world would you cut the pill in half and make me take two capsules?" Then we laughed about how silly I was and she said I was just tired and did not think it through very well.

After our delightful tour of the Vet hospital by the gorgeous Jody (Thanks Angela - I owe ya one!) CT and I were headed to "Pod" a fancy Martini bar Asian restaurant on Sansom street. In preparation Christi and I had dressed nicer than our usual "hospital atire". As soon as we stepped out on our way a monsoon struck and we got soaked to our underwear. Although she was agravated that I wouldn't go any faster, Christi's bubbling laughter didn't stop when we got back to the room.

Our departure to Philadelphia on Sunday night was delayed an hour because Christi insisted on making a model magic scupture of Sponge Bob for one of the great nuc med techs. Today she was able to give it to her and she just beamed with pride as she delivered it. The tech said she still has the picture of Sponge Bob on her refridge that Christi gave her in 2003. I was sorry the tech had to witness Christi's poor scan today - and my general lack of composure.

We were tipped off that Christi's cat ceiling tile she drew and painted in the hospital back in May was placed in the bone marrow transplant family room so we went on a quest to find the location. As we were opening the door, an orwellian voice came from above "step away from the door" Christi and I stopped shrugged and continued as if we were entering the room. Again big brother anounced "the playroom is closed". Christi broke out her squirt gun and sprayed the door and we walked away contented that we had gotten the better of the system.

3 Comments:

At 31/8/06 7:22 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm so, so sorry to hear that Christi is still in pain and wasn't able to make the trip to Barnes and Noble. I know how she loves that place!

I'm praying hard here!

Thanks Shayne for posting some lighter moments with Christi. She's a true warrior princess!

May tonight bring pain relief and good sleep for you both.

Lots of love and tons of prayers,
Heather

 
At 31/8/06 7:46 PM, Blogger Tine said...

Dear Thomas Team-
Hoping for a brighter tomorrow for you all when you can be together in faith and love! If Christi feels like listening to stories again maybe she and Shayla would enjoying hearing about "Miss O" and her friends. We are thinking about you! The Heron family

 
At 31/8/06 7:57 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Thank you so much for sharing the smiles, Shayne...God love you. Thank you to all who are caring for Christi. Will pray through the night for controlled pain and restful night.

Stay dry these next few days... we're heading up to Penn State on Sat. for the game (will be back Sat. night) and I just called Meghan to tell her that we're moving the pre-game tailgate to her apartment! : )

Oh Christi, what exciting news about your tile! I am so glad that I got to see it when we were down there....you are quite the talented young lady and I'm sooo glad that you have touched my life...thank you dear.

Take care. love, sylvia xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home