Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Farewell, Courageous Christi

(PIC: Christi's "Going to Heaven Dress")

Quite frankly, it wasn’t an uphill battle, but a downright bloody war. When it ended yesterday morning, our brave and beloved little soldier won and received the ultimate prize of eternal life! Congratulations, Christi……but we love and miss you so!

After what turned out to be her final foot massage about 8:25 on Tuesday, I took off to update the blog. An unbelievable twelve minutes after I updated the blog yesterday, Christi took her final breath. After spending days ‘locked’ inside her hospital room – afraid to leave for fear I wouldn’t be there or I’d be asleep when she passed, I just stepped outside to let Christi’s faithful supporters know what was going on. I returned and chit chatted with one of CHOP’s most awesome nurses (Amy) about her college – Pitt. Shayne noticed that Christi’s breathing had changed and he said, “Angela”. I quickly went over and sat down on her bed as we both realized she just took her final breath. Sweet Amy quickly said, “I’ll give you guys some privacy.” About a minute and a half later, the little jokester got us good – she did a big exhale again which actually made us laugh. We again said goodbye. Then….about a minute and a half later – she did her final exhale which again made us laugh in between our sobs. We knew she’d go out with style! And right on the dot, for someone so consumed with time – 9:00 AM!

I feel like Christi waited until we were both at her side. What a sweetheart! That had become a huge stressor for us, both scared that if we left her or took our eyes off of her for a second that she’d pass on to a better place without holding her hands. I would have felt horrible if I had not been there.

Dr. Maris arrived about 25 minutes later, along with the great Pat and Dana to give us their condolences. Dr. Maris got all of the blood draws that he needed and not only is he sending it to LA, but he will also be trying to establish Christi’s cell line at CHOP too. It will be 2-3 months until we know and our prayer request is that they are actually able to establish her cell line so that they can research ways of how to cure this difficult beast which kills most of the kids diagnosed with it.

We had a very hard time leaving Christi. Although the room had been packed up and the van loaded well ahead of time, we just couldn’t part with this beautiful child who just looked like she was sleeping. Her little beautiful body stayed warm for the longest time and after an hour and 45 minutes we knew we had the drive of all drives to make back home to Ohio – a drive without our daughter so we forced our selves to leave. With tears, and knowing we’d never return, we checked out of the Ronald McDonald House and donated Christi’s big blue jogging stroller, hoping other kids will benefit from it. When the social worker called me hours later and told me Christi was with her or her nurse Amy until they came for her. The thought of her spending the night alone in an inner city funeral home, waiting to be shipped out to the airport, was not a pleasant one for me, but with the out of state law requirements which had to be met, there wasn’t a better way.

The drive home was long and difficult, but interestingly enough once we crossed into the Ohio border the sky changed and we could see those beautiful beams of light shining down, just like Heaven had received a beautiful Angel. Before we left Christi’s body at CHOP Shayne told her, “If you have any magical powers up there now, then part the Schuylkill Expressway and clear the turnpike too!” Sure enough – we scooted out of Philly and cruised along the various turnpikes without any traffic problems (Thanks, Christi).

We didn’t want to share the news with anyone until we told Christi’s little sister in person that she just lost her biggest playmate and older sister she adored. We walked in, grabbed her and sobbed our eyes out. I didn’t expect Shayla to be emotional, but she sat on my lap and sobbed with me. She took a bath later and asked for privacy. When I peeped in on her, I again found her sitting in the bathtub crying. We knew going into Christi’s favorite place in our home – her bedroom, would be the hardest and it was. So many of her favorite things surround us, so many things she had been in the midst of. Little sister, Shayla, soon discovered that all of Christi’s toys were now her – so that was a big plus for Shayla. She also discovered that her diary key fit into Christi’s diary so we’ve now read many entries and cried out eyes out with the memories. (Did you know she hated taking her medicine? I was quite surprised as she rarely complained. What a trooper!)

Today, Shayne and Shayla have painted a lot of pottery. Shayne and I also spent a few hours with Andrea Traunero working on the arrangements for the royal sending off for Princess Christi. Everything really is coming into place. Her casket is lovely – if such a thing can be lovely. I was just really caught off guard by how little in size it is. Kids aren’t supposed to die I guess as I’ve never seen a smaller coffin. Regardless, it is very pretty with our family photo on the lid so she can look up and see that we’re always with her. The handles are surrounded by her beautiful picture. I also asked to see her white gown which will be beautiful for her ballet dancing on the stage of Heaven. Andrea put it in the coffin and I think she’ll be beautiful. Rich had a long day flying out to Philadelphia to give Christi her final flight and I could only comfort myself by telling myself this will be the only tiny plane flight that she never got “car sick” on. As of this point, Christi is at the funeral home and we will see her at noon tomorrow.

Visitation will be from 1 – 7 PM on Thursday and Friday at the Traunero Funeral home in Tiffin and her funeral mass will be at 10 AM at St. Mary’s. Our good friends, Tom and Lori Leis, will be catering the funeral luncheon back at St. Mary’s following the dove release at the Seneca Memory Gardens. All are invited. I’ll post her obituary as well – truly harder than any paper I ever wrote for any Professor, truly the most difficult thing I’ve ever had to write. I only hope it does her justice!

The Thomas team requests that memorials be made to the "Christi Thomas Memorial Fund” so that her spirit can live on.

20 Comments:

At 20/9/06 4:57 PM, Blogger Chandira said...

So sorry for your loss.

(I came via the link on Jim C's Cats and Dogma blog.)

 
At 20/9/06 5:21 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Angela and Shayne ... and of course Sweet Shayla - alls I can continue to say is thay I am SO SO Sorry for the loss of the most amazing little fighter I have ever "met" ... THANK YOU for sharing her life with so many of us "strangers" out here ... thank you for sharing how she lived and sadly, how she passed on ... May Gad hold you tight during this contiuous journey you will follow ... please know we will remain followers of your prescious family ...

God Bless!
Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN

 
At 20/9/06 6:33 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I am so sorry that distance will prevent me from paying my respects in person to your courageous, sweet, beautiful daughter. Please accept my most sincere condolences and thanks for sharing Christi with us. I am sure that her Life Celebration will be magnificaent and truly fitting for Princess Christi.

I cannot imagine the pain of facing the days, months and years ahead without the physical presence of your beloved Christi. I have no doubt that she is watching over you and that she does indeed have "special powers" in Heaven. (After all, she had special powers here on earth. The power to bring stranges to tears, bring them back to their faith and to make them laugh!)

With love and respect -

Kim

 
At 20/9/06 6:47 PM, Blogger Kryd said...

I know everyone says it will get better with time. From the friends of mine that have lost children, they say it gets worse every year they have to reminiss about it. I hope it is different for your family. I hope Shayla will be ok, she is a very strong little girl that lost her precious sister and you guys can go on with a normal family life minus Christi. I hope everyone is coping well. There are many tears around the world for this precious angel as she drifts off to heaven.

I so badly wish I could attend the celebration. But with the distance it makes it very hard, just know I'm thinking of you all very much!

God Bless the Thomas family through this extremely rough time!

Much Love..Krystal

 
At 20/9/06 7:12 PM, Blogger Ruben-Singh Family said...

I am so incredibly sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Much love,
Elizabeth Ruben

 
At 20/9/06 8:05 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Dearest Angela and Shayne,

Thank you for sharing the final moments you spent with your Christi. Her obituatary so captures her spirit. I'm so very sorry that you had to write it at all.

I love you all dearly, praying for God's peace and comfort for you all,
Heather

 
At 20/9/06 9:19 PM, Blogger Brigid and Celie said...

Dear Christi! Thank you for sharing your bright smiles and giggles, and your endless hopes and dreams. Thank you for being an inspiration to so many people all over this whole wide world. Please ask your very close friend Jesus to take special care of your wonderful Mommy and Daddy and Shayla. We Love You, Christi. Sweet dreams tonight.

XOXOXO
Brigid and Celie

 
At 20/9/06 9:20 PM, Blogger Mommy dearest said...

Shayne, Angela, and Shayla- My deepest condolenses to you and your family...

I have only been following Christi for a week, but your family has touched me very deeply. Thank you for sharing such an intimate time in your life. Your Christi is a beautiful, inspiring girl, and I'm so sorry she was taken from you so soon.

Your obituary brought tears to my eyes...

Adele

 
At 20/9/06 9:39 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I have been unable to find the words. I am so very sorry for your loss. There is nothing i can say about Christi that you dont know by heart. We have felt so very close to you all being that we have been following in your footsteps the last two years. I feel so blessed to have spent the time we did with you and Christi and I only wish it could have been more. When I told Eden that Christi was going to heaven, her reply was "she is so lucky" . What more is there to say.

I hope you will continue to update us on your family throughout the years.

All our love,

Lisa www.edenadams.com

 
At 20/9/06 10:00 PM, Blogger Schill said...

Even though I never met Christi in person I was touched by her spirit over the brief time I had been following her blog. She was a fighter and will help "fight" in her own way even in heaven. May peace be with you. Prayers from North Dakota

Janna, Megan & Claire Schill

 
At 20/9/06 10:40 PM, Blogger Melinda Auld said...

im so sorry i wont be able to attend Christi's celebration of life, like many, because of distance. it might make you smile to hear that i seriously considered it - even from australia! (unfortunately, i didn't win the lotto so it wont be happening...)

christi's obituary is touching and very fitting, if a life like hers can be summed up in a few small words. angela, you are so gifted with language, and managed it beautifully - it is a special tribute to your darling daughter. you must be a wonderful teacher - and your daughter was the best teacher of all. i miss her already, even though i never met her.

thank you so much for sharing your lives with us - i so appreciate it. knowing about christi has made me aspire to be a better person. i can think of no greater gift to the world than that - the ability to stir others to greater good. your daughter christi was an inspiration and an angel here on earth...i am so sorry she has gone and left such a hole in all our hearts, but no greater than in you her mother's heart. and shayne has lost his little princess - and shayla her hero and sweet sister. it is heart-breaking.

and yet even though it still hurts so badly, i smile already to think of things that christi achieved - her shining humour and wit (to the last!), her compassion, and her ability to share with others. she was such a special little girl, and the world is lesser for her leaving us.

i wish you a warm, sweet and sunny day for christi's celebration of life, and a gentle evening breeze and plenty of stars to fill a clear sky that night. i wish for you to feel joy again, and to laugh, and to remember always that we are here for you and love you.

 
At 21/9/06 12:46 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

I'm so glad that you both were able to be at Christi's side, holding her hands as she entered the kingdom of Heaven. I can't begin to imagine the journey you two and Shayla have ahead of you, but know that my thoughts and prayers will be with you. It's nice that Shayla will have Christi's diaries to read through; I'm sure they are something she, and the both of you, will treasure through the years. Your obituary for Christi is just beautiful, a very fitting and loving tribute to a cherished and special little girl, and I'm so very sorry that she needs one; I so always prayed that she could be healed here on earth. Christi did touch so many people, and brought out what's good in those she met. Thank you for sharing your daughter and your journey with me, and all those fortunate to know her.

 
At 21/9/06 7:24 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

I don't know what to say, except you're WHOLE family are in my thoughts and prayers....I loved Christi and didn't even know her...Crystal Peebles Pataskala, Ohio

 
At 21/9/06 7:26 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

I don't know what to say, except you're WHOLE family are in my thoughts and prayers....I LOVED Christi and didn't even know her...Crystal Peebles Pataskala, Ohio

 
At 21/9/06 8:02 AM, Blogger Dewdrop said...

I followed the post from the Lucius site. You are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless.

Jennifer Bilak
Georgia

 
At 21/9/06 10:41 AM, Blogger Julie said...

My heart has broken into a million pieces at this great loss. My prayers for your family will not stop even though Christi has transitioned from earthly to eternal.

Words just can't adequately express just how much Christi touched my heart, however, yesterday it was my honor to posted a memorial to Christi on my personal blog. If at some point in the future you would like to view it, it's titled "Heaven has a new Angel" and is located at: www.mylifein4x6.blogspot.com

Thank you for sharing your amazing daughter and her incredible journey. Her example of courage, joy, faith and hope is an example and inspiration to us all.

May God bless you and give you peace.

Julie

 
At 21/9/06 11:08 AM, Blogger Mary Brewer said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for Christi's blog and sharing your difficult journey. You are in my thoughts as you go through this heartbreaking time.
Fly Christi Fly!

 
At 21/9/06 1:24 PM, Blogger Mrs. B said...

So we've lost an Earth-Angel, and Heaven has gained an amazing little girl, finally giving her the wings she deserves.

Christi's story has forever changed my life, and last night my fiancé and I agreed that, in honor of your darling girl, his childhood friend who died of leukemia when they were only thirteen, and both of your families, the family we are creating together will forever fight for a cure to these horrible diseases, and although neither of us are pursuing medical fields, we will use the talents and powers we have to make a difference...just as your family has.

 
At 21/9/06 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So very sorry. She was beautiful both inside and out.

 
At 22/9/06 7:15 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Oh Angela, Christi's dress is just breathtaking! She will be a vision arriving at Heaven's gates I am sure! And the sky - wow - clearly celebrating the arrival of the great, amazing Christi!

Love -

Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home