Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Christi is writing her own book

Christi continues to sleep comfortably. Her breathing is slow but rhythmic. She is pale yet not lifeless in her color. We have been in and out of bed with her, talking to her as if she were listening, but, not responding. (this typically happened when her nose was in a book-then she would say "what did you say-I was reading".

She will die with a lengthy "to do" list. I found the list she made for us in Philly when we arrived. It saddened me until I realized that she just set her goals high. We did a lot, just not everything-that is OK. So when I get home and I have to look at 23 unread Hank the Cow Dog books, I need to remind myself that she read 20 of the 43. It still hurts though to think of her being cheated out of the opportunity to finish a book series and so so much more. Everyday she lived to the fullest. This kid always had two or three projects going at once. Secretly, she would stay up until past midnight to read he books. (how am I ever going to handle peering into her room and not have her propped up on her pillows with books surrounding her). Right now she is in the middle of three books here in the hospital room. One that dad is reading to her, one that mom is reading, and one that she bought at the Barnes and Noble. SAD sad sad sad-do I finish that book without her?

Christi loves science (as does Shayla). It would please her greatly if she can live on in an experimental cell line (FU NB 2006). Maris and his team are set to give it a go, although, the success rate is only 1/20. Additional good news came from LA today, our friend Dr. Pat Reynolds had agreed to also attempt to start a NB cell line from Christi's cancer. He admitted that he would do it "with a heavy heart". http://www.christithomas.com/images/1692.jpg
It may be an important data point for the scientific community because Christi has seen almost all of the known active agents. Her disease has developed resistance to all of the big guns as well as many experimental. It is not likely that any current NB cell line has seen as many different approaches as has Christi's cancer. She deserves to leave this legacy.

Which reminds me to thank the many of you who have emailed suggestions regarding memorializing Miss Christi. Our ideas are coming together nicely. This is a refuge for me from the brutal reality of our situation. We are trying to preserve the spirit in which she lived so that her beauty, wit, and intellect may never be forgotten.

nite
shayne

9 Comments:

At 19/9/06 12:13 AM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Shayne, perhaps Christi IS finishing that book and that is why she just cannot leave yet, or is she waiting for the ending of the ones you are reading? I wouldn't doubt it. : )

I am praying through the night.

love, sylvia

 
At 19/9/06 12:18 AM, Blogger Melinda Auld said...

it is so fitting that christi is writing her own "story." she is one girl who truly knows her own soul, and her place in this world and the next. please give her a hug from me and let her know that she inspires me.

 
At 19/9/06 12:40 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

My thoughts and prayers remain with you as sit with your precious daughter. I'm glad that she is peaceful and resting; as a nurse, we were always taught that hearing is the last sense that leaves people even when they are not responding, so she may well somehow register your words; I hope so. I'm sure they must have museums and libraries in heaven that are truly magnificent, and I'm sure that Christi will find them.

 
At 19/9/06 5:47 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Praying for peace and strength today.

I pray for Dr. Maris and Dr. Reyonalds as well as the shall attempt to get that cell line to grow. May that be one of Christi's many legacies.

My love and prayers are with you all,
Heather

 
At 19/9/06 6:37 AM, Blogger Kryd said...

I really hope the FU NB 2006 cell line works out and they find a cure for this ugly thing that is unfortunitly growing inside of preious christi's body.

Much luv Krystal

 
At 19/9/06 7:50 AM, Blogger Lisa Krenz said...

Christi will never be forgotten. Why God had to take her before she accomplished all of her goals is beyond all of us but someday you will be able to ask Him. She amazed me and others by her fight against this horrible disease and i hope all the great doctors are able to begin a cell line from Christi. I know how triumphant that would be to all involved. I have been praying numerous times a day to God and asking Him to make sure Christi is not afraid and to welcome her with open arms and that her grandpa is waiting for her as well. Your whole family is also in my prayers although i dont even know how you can handle the pain right now and thereafter.
Thank you for blessing us all with your Christi.

 
At 19/9/06 7:52 AM, Blogger JCInNC said...

Christi is one amazing "warrior princess". So many have come to love this child even though we've never had the honor of meeting her or your family. There is much to be learned from her. She will teach great things, I do believe that!

 
At 19/9/06 10:29 AM, Blogger KINTHEATL said...

You can do the to-do list for her.

 
At 19/9/06 12:43 PM, Blogger Stefanie said...

My thoughts are with you at all times. I didnt know that christi likes Hank the cow dog books...I would have sent the colletion I have fromwhen I was her age to you. If you would like them, let me know I will ship them to you, you can continue to read in memory of her? God bless you all!
xoxo
stefanie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home