Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Nightly update

Tonight when I placed a keepsake heart in Christi's hand she immediately started coughing and gagging. It was a horrible few moments we felt helpless and it felt so wrong to do nothing. We didn't call for help we just comforted her and told her we loved her. She regained control of her breathing and is resting comfortably now. Angela has with the help of some very resourceful CHOP nurses made some plaster casts of Christi's hands tonight. We played the High Schoold musical DVD just in case she was listening.

We ate like kings today. We had Kerschner meatballs for supper Shayla is doing fine. She had a good weekend, according to her, with her friend. When I called tonight the first thing she said was “Can I talk to Christi”. She really wanted to have a rather mundane conversation about some passwords on a Neopets account, yet, it still turned me into a sobbing sack of … Here is the deal, Shayla never has to remember anything because Christi is always there to remember for her. They refer to it as Shayla’s “savings bank”.

Any image that Shayla wants to remember forever she tells Christi to put in her “savings bank”. Since Christi has an extrodianary memory this seemed like a good plan to the girls. Now as I have feared we are starting to see that their lives were so interwined that little Shayla is going to have a piece of her die with Christi. This makes me so incredibly sad.

Dr. Maris said that what keeps him up at night is the concern that "Christi develops an infection and lands in the ICU or a scary event occurs like internal bleeding" His goal has been to lead us to a "soft landing". What keeps me up at night is that I may only remember how Christi died and not how she lived. I want to banish the memory of these past few weeks and only feel and relive the precious nine years that proceeded them.

Lord I pray: that if you are indeed a merciful god then take her tonight.

Shayne

11 Comments:

At 17/9/06 10:05 PM, Blogger Annie said...

The picture of the three of you...I'm sobbing. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I think this one says so much more.

My heart is breaking for you Shayne, Angela, and Shayla.

The four of you are constantly in my thoughts.

Praying for you.
Annie

 
At 17/9/06 10:18 PM, Blogger Lisa Krenz said...

I am too now crying my outs looking at the picture of the 3 of you but i am sure it pales in comparison to the tears you have both shed. I dont know what else to say but that you are all in my prayers and thoughts all the time. I cannot even imagine how it must feel to want God to take your beautiful little girl away from this earth to end her suffering yet feel so selfish to want to have her here on earth with you as well. It is not fair either way. And dear little Shayla, her comment of "I dont want to be an only child" will not get out of my head. I am praying for her as well.
I am so envious of how strong the two of you are!

 
At 17/9/06 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for all of you...

 
At 17/9/06 11:00 PM, Blogger Melinda Auld said...

through tears...

please, no more pain or suffering for this sweet baby.

never looking away...

 
At 17/9/06 11:16 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Shayne and Angela...know that I will be praying through the night.
love you. sylvia

 
At 17/9/06 11:46 PM, Blogger Beks said...

Your family is in my prayers. .

 
At 18/9/06 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am praying that God's peace rest over your whole family during this time. I pray that as Christi earns her angel wings that God would just wrap his loving arms of comfort and compassion around you, your wife and your sweet daughter.

Don't ever forget the wonderful, wonderful life that your daughter lived. She is so much more than what this disease had made her. It may steal her body away from you but don't ever let it steal the memories of who she is.

God Bless You.

 
At 18/9/06 12:54 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

My prayers continue for Christi and for all of you. I so hope that Jesus enfolds her in his loving arms and that she has no more pain, and that you are all included in those loving arms. My heart breaks for you three, having to go through this, but there could be no better people to be Christi's parents and sister.

 
At 18/9/06 1:16 AM, Blogger Ingrid said...

I can't anything but cry!

Only what I can, is to pray that God helps your family to go through these very narrow and painful part of your life.

Ingrid
from Estonia

 
At 18/9/06 5:50 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

With love, prayers and continued tears for all of you.

I love you all dearly.

With all my love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 18/9/06 7:42 AM, Blogger Kryd said...

Lord I hope she does not get an infection. That would be the topping on the cake! Lord help this lil girl feel better soon. Which ever way this may be. On earth or in heaven.

much love..Krystal :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home