Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

More of the Same

Dr. Maris was in about 7:30 this morning surprised to see us both "sleeping" on the parent couch asking, "How can you two even fit there much less sleep?" I don't know if real sleep will ever come again. Dr. Maris said, "Christi's spirit is gone, but why her body is still working is puzzling." He did point out that her heart rate had dropped and her urine output had decreased indicating it shouldn't be much longer until her body stops. Shayne pointed out that throughout four straight years of treatment she never had real damage to her liver, kidneys, heart nor hearing so perhaps it was because her body was in such fine shape, relatively speaking. Maris agreed that the more gentle treatments were good for Christi and will probably be the wave of the future to extend kids' lives.

Last night Shayne signed the limited autopsy consent form while I looked away and tried not to throw up. This morning he said it's best that if her body is still working, early this afternoon to go ahead and do that because the freshest sample the better in trying to grow her tumor cells. It will involve A LOT of blood being drawn out of her pelvis and then being shipped out to Dr. Reynolds's lab in Los Angeles. I'm certain I'll need to step out of the room as I've been incredibly queasy the past 24 hours.

Thanks, Eric for updating this blog for me many times in recent days. Our lap top isn't allowing us to post so I've been emailing things to the wonderful "Webby" for help. This morning, Shayne threw me out of the room as I haven't really left for over a week now. Additionally, I knew it was important to have some alone time with Christi too.

13 Comments:

At 19/9/06 8:07 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Angela and Shayne,

Thinking of you and praying for your strength.

What generous, kind, loving people you are to allow your precious baby to try to help other kids.

May God grant both Dr. Maris and Dr. Reyonlds wisdom and allow them to indeed grow this cell line from sweet Christi.

With love, prayers and tears,
Heather

 
At 19/9/06 8:11 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

I know there's absolutely nothing I can say or do to make things any easier for you during this horrendous journey, but just know that you're not alone. We are ALL 'walking' with you, your family and Christi. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

"The Soul Would Have No Rainbow if the Eyes Had No Tears" (Native American Proverb)

 
At 19/9/06 8:14 AM, Blogger peanutpie3879 said...

My heart is breaking for you. . . I have children ages 8, 4 and 2 and I can't imagine what you are going through. I do want to say thank you for sharing your beautiful daughter with the world. She is absolutely amazing and she is a true inspiration to me. Praying for your family and for Christi. . .

Always in my thoughts and prayers.

Becky L. Harbarth

 
At 19/9/06 8:21 AM, Blogger Gina said...

My heart breaks for you and your family. I just cannot image the pain in your hearts. Someone emailed me the link to this blog and asked me to pray for Christi. From reading your blog this morning, Christi is already with God in spirit. I will pray for you and your family at this point. May God take Christi painlessly and quietly, not only for her sake, but yours as well. May God grant you peace in your heart knowing that Christi is in a better world, without pain or suffereing. God bless you and your family. Please kiss Christi's hand for all the love that has grown in the hearts of strangers for her and her fight to live.

 
At 19/9/06 8:51 AM, Blogger beckscat said...

Thomas family - I have been following your daughter's story for several weeks. All my prayers have been with you and I am amazed at how you are holding up during this phase of her life. God will take very good care of Christie in her Heavenly home.

 
At 19/9/06 9:06 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Angela and Shayne ...

Just like every other post I have left there truly is nothing to say but I am SO SO Sorry for what is happening to your Christi and your family ... this is beyond unfair and cruel ... I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers always and to remain a faithful follower of one of the most AMAZING Little Princess I have ever "met" ... May you hold one another tight during this heartbreaking time ... God Bless You Christi Thomas ...

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN

 
At 19/9/06 9:07 AM, Blogger cariemarie said...

Word just don't seem adequate right now. You are engulfed in the worst pain a parent can imagine.

I am still praying that God will provide comfort for Christi and will hold you in this most difficult time.

Heaven's gain is most certainly our loss.

 
At 19/9/06 10:23 AM, Blogger Andy said...

Prayers of strength and peace to you! This site has touched me, though I will never know you.

 
At 19/9/06 10:42 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

Praying for you both to have the strength you need to get through the day, and for Christi to slip gently into Jesus' arms.

 
At 19/9/06 10:55 AM, Blogger Sabrina_Sherick said...

Shane and Angela,

through reading your blogs i saw that dr. maris, bless his heart, told you that she can not hear you. you stated that you still talk to her as if she can. i am soooo glad to hear that, because i am 100% sure that she can.

recently a friend of mine had a sister that died of cancer. we talked everyday, as i babysat her daughter. towards the end of her sisters life on this earth, she was in a coma state.the doctors and nurses told them that her sister couldnt hear them. i repeatly told my friend that they were absolutely wrong and she could very much hear every word they said to her. so she talked to her sister just as though she was listening.

...long story short, before her sister passed, they were all around her bed and talking to her. apparently, asking if she could hear them. my friend said that she suddenly opened her eyes and said "yes!" Everyone was is shock. She must have mustered up enough strength, just to let them know she was listening...

so i highly encourage you two to keep on doing what your doing! because I KNOW that she CAN hear you whether she's still here or in heaven, just talk to her, BECAUSE SHE CAN ALWAYS HEAR YOU! I CAN PROMISE YOU THAT!

With Love,
Sabrina Sherick

 
At 19/9/06 12:20 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful family with us.Especially in the darkest hours. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, may God comfort you in your time of need. I lost my mother in Oct 2004 and shortly after she was gone I found this website..http://www.wisehearts.com/ngflash.html. It's called I Am Not Gone by Terri McPherson.
I'm also glad that you are going to have a Thumbie made from her thumbprints. I did it with my mother and I wear it every day. Whenever I miss her, I just each up and rub the thumbprint, feel the ridges and know that she is with me. You can also do her footprints from her birth certificate.
Thank you again and please know that you all are in our prayers.
Cindy, from Belleview, Florida

 
At 19/9/06 12:44 PM, Blogger Stefanie said...

Crying rivers of tears everytime I read your post. We love you Chrisi, its okay to grab your wings and go!!!!

 
At 19/9/06 1:07 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

Praying so hard for you. I can't imagine how much your heart is broken.

Love you all so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home