Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, September 29, 2006

A Memory Walk in NYC Tomorrow

Enjoying the incredible Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC

Central Park - June 2005, NYC

The Bears Outside of the Met

I can't possibly express enough thank yous and gratitude for everyone's kindness. When Shayne and I met with the wonderful Rich and Andrea Traunero at their funeral home this morning to make our final payment they asked if they gave me enough thank you cards. I told them that I wasn't planning on sending any.....Where would I even possibly begin? I hope no one is disappointed. (All Christi Thomas Memorial Fund donations given on line will receive an email receipt. If given directly, a recent will be sent.) So please accept this as our Thomas team THANKS and know that we will never be able to pay anyone back for all of their love and thoughtfulness, but we are dedicated to PAYING IT FORWARD!

We know that the months and years down the road will be the hardest. We're doing ok. Seeing Christi's room, where she LOVED being, and many of her belongings is very difficult and frequently moves us to tears. Picking Shayla up at religion the other night required me to bump into Christi's wonderful friends. Kids are great! They of course came running up to me to give me HUGE hugs, which I really loved even though I felt it was killing me inside. My heart hurts so much knowing Christi took great joy in being with them and it's hard. At the funeral home we asked many of them to please be like a big sister to Shayla now and they said they would. Shayne has been taking Shayla to and from school each day as that's way too much for me right now. He's been watching the sweet 5th grade girls play with Shayla on the playground. What sweethearts!

I knew I was going to break down the first time I heard Shayla call out, "Christi!" as she so often did when encountering something too difficult for her to do. Well, it happened this afternoon. After school she was working on this AWESOME Pokemon poster / sticker thingy (THANK YOU!) as she has been doing for days. I was in the kitchen when I heard, "Christi!" I went in and said, "Were you talking to Christi? I've been doing it every day even though she hasn't talked back to me yet." She giggled and said, "No, I just forgot." Losing your only sibling and biggest playmate - that's tough! Forgetting for a bit - that's good! May God be with Shayla.

We've been so touched to learn of moments of silence that have taken place before ball games and for a standing ovation at the Ritz which was so lovingly given in Christi's memory. Tomorrow will be a "Memory Walk" in NYC and trust me - Shayne and I checked into flights, but that just didn't seem like the best thing to do right now until my paycheck returns to what it was. I will get myself back to my love of teaching; it just going to be a matter of time.

Nitza and Caroline, the girls' teachers at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, will be taking a memorial walk in Christi's honor on Saturday morning. They will meet in the Astor Court of the Asian Art Galleries in the museum spend a short time in the Japanese galleries and then take a walk down 5th Ave., past the Bear sculpture in the playground to the Central Park Zoo, down to the horse drawn carriages at 59th Streetand finally to St. Patrick's Cathedral where they will light a candle in Christi's memory. Some of the Thomas team favorite NYC places and people! THANK YOU! We are so touched by this loving gesture!

6 Comments:

At 29/9/06 7:10 PM, Blogger memyselfandI said...

Angela,
Glad you're doing ok. Was getting a little worried since you hadn't posted but was then hoping you might be getting some sun with your sister instead. It has been an extremely arduous 4 years for you and befitting that you take some needed time to take a breath and attempt to heal your broken heart. It is awesome to read that Shayla "seems" to be getting along, i can't write "without Christi by her side" because Christi will always be by Shayla's side or sitting on her shoulder watching over her. Kids are amazingly resilient. I talk to Christi too every night, especially when I'm out looking at the beautiful sunsets or looking up at the sparkling stars in the sky. I can imagine her painting the sunset especially for you and dancing on the stars. She will be greatly missed even though I only knew her from afar.

I sent you an email to your zz.. acct, I would like to send you something special I picked out for you and Shayla but need some info from you first. It can't be sent to a PO box. If you get a chance to wade through, probably the boatloads of emails you have received, I would love to hear from you. I would really like to do this plus something more. If you sort by "from" it should be easier to find it since it will come up under my name. Praying for the team every day.
-Melissa B

 
At 29/9/06 7:38 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Thinking of you tonight and continuing to pray.

May God be with sweet Shayla as she deals with the loss of her playmate and sister. How sweet of the 5th grade girls to play with her on the playground. What sweethearts indeed.

I love the memory walk- how wonderful.

Sending you all my love and prayers for always,
Heather

 
At 29/9/06 9:57 PM, Blogger Frapper said...

The memory walk sounds like such a special tribute to Christi and your family--revisiting all the places that you enjoyed together as a family. I'm glad that the girls from Christi's class have been so supportive to Shayla; it must be so confusing and difficult for children to grasp everything that's gone one, as it's incredibly difficult even for adults. Your family remains in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 29/9/06 11:42 PM, Blogger Eugenia said...

The first photo is soooo sweet! aww... Thinking of your family and remembering Christi from the opposite end of the US,

Eugenia

 
At 30/9/06 1:21 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Thinking of you and praying for all of you still!

Kim

 
At 2/10/06 8:45 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Angela ~ Shayne ~ Shayla ... thank you for sharing these photos of your family when Christi was feeling SO well ... she looks wonderful and so happy ... those places in NYC that were family favorites are magical places ... I grew up in NY and it has a magic about it that is unexplainable ... your Christi has that same magic ... I am glad to see pictures of her when she was looking so great and happy ... thank you! I remain a faithful prayer warrior and think about all of you every hour of every day!

God Bless you all ...

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home