Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Memorial Service Planned for Thursday - Heidelberg College

These amazing students made Christi beam with pride and joy for a couple of great years. They'll never know how happy they made her by declaring her a "Heidelberg College Student for the Day" since that is the college she told everyone she was going to "for my first college". Although she always moved them to tears, she was very pleased to read "Alex & and the Amazing Lemonade" stand to the "big kids" and Shayne and I were always moved to tears by the long line of "poor college kids" who managed to give thousands of dollars to help find a cure.
September 2005 Heidelberg College Education Students' Lemonade

After I left my doctor’s office this morning, I drove out to Christi’s grave. Much to my surprise (and delight) some placed a beautiful pinwheel beside the stake that contains Christi’s name. (Thank you! I was so moved.) I had planned to read some more to her, but it was cold so I prayed and then returned to my van where I ate a granola bar instead pretending to “have breakfast with Christi”.

My next stop was to Jeffrey’s jewelry store. For Christi’s Sacrament of Holy Eucharist in April of 2004, her Godmothers (and Aunt Marty) bought her a stellar crucifix on a very strong chain that some may have seen in pictures (or in person) over the years. She loved it! When she picked it out, I had them show her only the adult selections thinking that the doctors would be right and that she really wouldn’t live much longer; I knew I wanted to wear the special necklace with Jesus on it if she really didn’t make it. It was emotional, but as of today it now has a new (adult size) chain and I’m now wearing the beautiful necklace. It was around her neck during the visitation, but removed at my request before the casket was closed. It has her name and birth date engraved on the back. It makes me feel close to Christi as she is now with Jesus.

The recent newspaper articles are treasures in my mind, so I went to Staples to get all of them laminated this morning. The girl that has laminated many of Christi’s previous newspaper articles asked, “How is she doing?” I didn’t know what to say. “I don’t know. I’m watching for signs every day, but so far nothing.” I am currently reading “They are our Heaven” but so far she hasn’t sent me any text messages like in the book. Hmmmm. Finally I said, “We buried her last Saturday and we miss her terribly. She was the greatest kid, so very funny and empathetic. ” The poor girl quickly wrote down my order and told me it’d be ready on Wednesday.

Before venturing on to deliver the lemonade stand to Heidelberg College and to make copies for class tonight, I dropped off the death certificates to Shayne. Why was her birth certificate the most beautiful thing? I made copies and even put one in a frame years ago. Why do I think this certificate is the most disgusting thing I ever saw? Ah, perspective and circumstances – all very different. Life & Death.

How are we doing? Ok. Unlike my husband, I’m sleeping very well now. For four years that was something I really struggled with waking up nearly every night with worry. When asked how I can sleep well now I can only respond that what I feared would happen for four years already happened. While I miss her dreadfully, get choked up just going into her room for Shayla’s clothing each morning, and manage to be moved to tears at least once a day for one reason or another, I know I will live my life in a way which will allow me to be reunited with her again one day. When I last spoke with her I told her it wasn’t goodbye, but until we meet again in a much better place. That, along with people’s incredible kindness, is keeping me going.

We are so touched by the kindness of the Education Department at Heidelberg College. On Thursday, they have planned a memorial service in memory of Christi. If anyone would like to join in, all are invited. Shayne, Grandma Nonee and I will all be there.

At 11AM in France Hall will be a service by the Campus Minister. Outside of the Education Building they will dedicate the small tree which stands where Christi had her lemonade stands outside of the Education Building. There will also be a plaque placed in her memory. At 11:50 AM will be a balloon release and from noon to 2PM will be a memory lemonade stand which will be manned by her "Chatty Cathy Club" friends. We continue to witness God's love through His people here are earth and we are filled with gratitude and appreciation. This helps us to realize that she is gone, but not forgotten. That, along with believing her life wasn't lived in vain, gives us comfort. (Thank you also to the 'Berg student newspaper for the front page photo and article promoting the event.) http://www.heidelberg.edu/kilikilik/Issue116-1.pdf

Another sweet little girl (Kaitlin Richmond, Forever 7) was recently called Home and I'm willing to bet that Christi was there welcoming her through Heaven's gates. Kaitlin was diagnosed weeks before Christi and was able to be in remission for a couple of years before relapsing in 2005. We now know how bad her family is hurting as they try to give her a proper send off and then begin their own new life, one without their little girl. If you'd like to leave a message of sympathy, Kaitlin's website is: http://www.caringbridge.org/wa/kaitlin/

7 Comments:

At 3/10/06 8:13 AM, Blogger Kim said...

You guys are amazing! I have no doubt that you will all be reunited with Christi one day - in a most glorius place! Christi has insired so many to live a good, full life! And now, you are carrying on her work! Thank you!

With love and admiration -

Kim

 
At 3/10/06 8:48 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Oh how generous and kind those students are.

Yes her memory lives on.

May God be with you all today and wrap His loving arms around you in a very special way.

I love you!

Love and prayers always,
Heather

 
At 3/10/06 8:54 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Hi Angela,

I think laminating Christi's articles a great idea, but I hope you don't mind me jumping in. Make sure the laminating is acid free as the newspaper will deteriorate if it's not. You can also buy a spray that will deacidfy (sp) newspaper. I've many old documents that are in perfect condition as the acid has been removed. You can Google to see how to preserve or you can email me and I'll find the archival catalog that I have. I hate for you to lose the treasured articles years from now because of the acid.

Sending Many Healing Wishes Your Way,
Lorraine
(araine322@verizon.net)

"To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides" (David Viscott, MD)

 
At 3/10/06 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christi's Blog continues to be at the top of the "favorites" on my computer. I check in everyday, and even if there is no new post I let it remind me to....read to my kids everyday, to do something fun with them, to have a little more patience. I know that it may seem trivial compared to the enormity of what you are going through but I had to let you know that she makes a difference here in our lives most everyday! If possible I cherish them just that little bit more because I feel like it would be a disservice to you and Shayne as the great parents you are...to let these moments with my own kids slip by. Afterall, how dare I squander a precious moment with my own when you so badly want it with Christi. I hope this came out right...

I know it is little consolation but I wanted to know that she has made a difference even to this stranger halfway across the country.

(my comment may show twice, as I have switched to beta so please, of course, delete any double posting. Sorry about that)

 
At 3/10/06 12:21 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Angela ~ Thank you SO much for posting your deepest thoughts and feelings as you travel this road that sadly TOO many other parents travel ... I was so happy to hear about the memorial at the college Christi loved so ... how moving and what amazing young adults that care SO much about your amazing baby and your entire family ... it moves me to tears with their generosity and I don't even "know" your family ... you should be SO proud of the amazing impact Christi has on SO many people ... I am "glad" to hear that you are wearing a bit of Christi close to your heart and that going to the cemetary brings you some sort of comfort ... I continue to pray and think of you and your family hourly it seems ... God Bless ...

Love from my family to yours!
Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 
At 3/10/06 3:56 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

Wish I could be there....I'm sure it will be beautiful.

I know that new necklace you have will be treasured forever. Always thinking of you. Love you!

~Jennifer

 
At 4/10/06 9:02 AM, Blogger Melinda Auld said...

for once, I can't think of anything to say...just want you to know that I am still thinking of you, as always, and that I miss Christi and will never forget her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home