Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Generations

It's amazing how small our family felt (going down by 50%) while Shayne was away on business. I praise God that Shayne has safely arrived home from Holland! (Their luggage didn't make their connection in France, but hey - Shayne's home and Shayla and I are thrilled!) I let her stay up late on Thursday night to wait for daddy to come home. We were sitting, enjoying lemonade and cookies with a fellow teacher from school, when Sue signalled that Shayne pulled in - about an hour early. We knew Shayla would squeal with delight and we couldn't wait to see that great surprise reaction - and we got it! What a hoot! Shayla really loves her daddy!

I had the pleasure of spending yesterday with the tremendous teachers and students at "New Generation Preschool". This is the former Betty Jane Preschool which sadly closed last year. This is the same awesome preschool I selected for the girls after I went "preschool shopping". (You may remember my slogan, "Only the best for Christi Thomas." That didn't just apply to hospitals!) One of my four OSU classes for this quarter ended last week (whew); however, three more remain until early December. One of my literacy classes requires me to work with other teachers. I am beyond grateful that "New Generation" has agreed to let me learn - from and with them! As soon as I walked in, I saw the butterfly hanging from the ceiling which Christi had made for them soon after she was diagnosed. I thought it was beautiful. While observing Ann, a fabulous teacher of 4 year olds, I started reflecting about how much Chrisit LOVED this wonderful preschool. She learned so much and had a great time there. Thanks to them taking lots of pictures and sharing them so lovingly with the parents, I too have great memories. Over the years Christi often asked when she could go back to visit and those very talented and compassionate ladies always welcomed her with open arms. So at one point yesterday I had to get up and go wipe my tears, but other than that I did fine and I'm looking forward to going back to spend Monday with them as well.

Last night Shayla had a glorious time at the Arnold's home with their beautiful girls. I couldn't help but think how much fun Christi always had there too, but........ Our thanks to Anne & Matt for watching Shayla so that we could attend a cancer benefit fundraiser in town. (That wasn't easy either, but we got through it!)

I think this weekend will be a tough one emotionally for Shayne. It's the weekend of the NYC Marathon. Last spring Shayne had been accepted to run and he had been in training since that time. We had hotel reservations and were planning to take the entire Thomas team to NYC to cheer daddy on and to visit with good friends. When late August came, Christi's cancer took a sudden turn for the worse. He drove her for what turned out to be her final trip to Philadelphia and as a result had to stop his training to be at her bedside until the very end. Hopefully, next year he'll be back to run his 2nd NYC Marathon.

This weekend we will begin transferring all of our family videos (11 tapes worth) over to DVDs. I've been very concerned about losing our memories of Christi and this will allow us to make copies and store them in different homes. I find with Christi gone, I cling to her memories and I want to ensure that those will never be taken from my mind. My next project includes figuring out how to get my cell phone pictures off of my cell phone and properly saved! Shayne's is to continue with his home improvement projects. (Note helpful little Shayla in action, hee hee!)

We've been so touched to read the loving comments on this blog from sweet people who have actually viewed Christi's funeral clip. Thank you for loving us!

The pictures today are from ones that were "found" via negatives and put on to 14 CD roms for me. They show the generations! They are of Christi with her Great Grandparents. All of them are now together in Heaven and we are anxious to join them just as soon as God is willing to get us there! Rest in peace, dear family members!

Christi with her Great Grandpa Falter (Easter, Spring 1998) Grandpa died when Christi was five and we were living in the Ronald House in NYC back in 2003. I still regret not flying home for his funeral, but at the time I couldn't see how Shayne could manage both girls on his own. Grandma has always told me how terribly cold and awful it was and that I made the right decision, but I still feel bad.
Christi with her Great Grandpa Gear (winter 1998) Any wonder where she got her love of music??!! Grandpa Gear used to play in a band; he never had lessons and played by ear. He was amazed that Christi could read music.
Christi with her Great Grandma Thomas (1997)

9 Comments:

At 4/11/06 10:27 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog Thomas Team! I love all of the "new" pictures you are posting. What a tremendous gift to see pictures of your family over the years. My prayers continue to be with all of you.

 
At 4/11/06 12:50 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Very sweet pictures Angela! And please tell Shayla that I love the shirt she is wearing in the picture!

Kim

 
At 4/11/06 1:49 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Dear Thomas' ... thank you thank you thank you for once again opening up your memories to so many of us strangers ... I found myself watching Christi's funeral clip during my lunch hour yesterday - I was balling my eyes out every moment and at one point scared a fellow co-worker away - I also found myself not eating since it felt odd to me to be watching that while eating lunch ... the entire clip was heartbreakingly beautiful ... thank you for sharing those bittersweet memories with us ... I do not even pretend to imagine the pain you are experiencing BUT please know that being a mom of a 4 year old little girl your story has made me appreciate her all that much more and to give her the world as she grows up ... I am glad Shayne made it home safe and sounds from Holland but saddened to hear about the NYC Marathon - I know Christi is running it for him in heaven ... know that my thoughts and prayers remain with your family always and I not only haven't forgotten but NEVER will forget your special daughter ... God Bless!

Love from my family to yours!
Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 
At 4/11/06 2:11 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

I have heard that pictures on a cd goes bad around 5 year....PLEASE research this and find out if it is true...I love your site...I feel as I know Christi....you are such a strong person...hang in there....

 
At 4/11/06 2:39 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Hi Shayla! Indeed you look like you are such a big helper! Victor really misses Meghan when she is at school because she's always helping him with projects....he always says "Meghan's my boy!" hehehee!! : )

I am thoroughly enjoying all of the "old" pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. And yes, I too am also thankful for the video of Christi's Celebration of Life. Having not being able to be there it means so much to be able to still share in her special sending.

At 8PM last night the kids started to arrive. This is the first of three "canning" weekends for THON. THON is the dance marathon totally run by Penn State students. It is held in February and all money benefits children with cancer at Hershey Medical Center. Meghan and Michele and thirteen other students were out the door by 7AM to stand at the big intersection of Cedar Crest and Tilghman with their cans collecting any loose change. Perhaps faithful Christi supporters might see THON canners in their neighborhood this weekend - as they go to any city that will welcome them. We feel honored to be able to participate in this manner and pay it forward. What a wonderful group of young men and women! Christi, please send Guardian Angels to watch over them as they stand at all of these busy intersections.

Sending hugs your way Thomas Team. much love, sylvia

 
At 4/11/06 8:51 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Praying for you and thinking of you all always.

I had no idea Shayne was training for his second NYC marathon. WOW he's amazing!! Know I'll be praying for you tomorrow.

Thank you for sharing some great pictures of Christi as a little baby! What a cutie pie she was.

With all my love for always with prayers,
Heather

 
At 4/11/06 11:34 PM, Blogger Kait said...

What a beautiful little baby! I am so enjoying your pictures of sweet Christi from the past. I just want to thank you again for sharing your life and your hearts with all of us. I cannot even begin to imagine the kind of pain you must be feeling right now, and will be forever grateful for you for continuing to blog. I cannot imagine my life without having known your sweet family and your precious baby girl. I honestly don’t think I can ever thank you enough for sharing your light with the world. Christi will live on forever in the hearts of millions.

All my love!

 
At 5/11/06 2:41 PM, Blogger Frapper said...

I'm glad Shane arrived safe and sound and hope his luggage does too. I'm sure it must be especially lonely at home now when he's gone. Thanks for sharing so many neat family pictures of Christi with us. My prayers for your family continue, and I pray especially that your return to work will go well.

 
At 5/11/06 8:18 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Thank you, thank you for sharing the clip of Christi's funeral. What an amazing tribute to an amazing little girl.

I cried the whole way through.

Loving, and remembering sweet Christi for always- with love and prayers for you all,
Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home