Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

A Year Ago This Weekend

In some ways it seems like our Disney cruise with the Cooks was years ago, other times it seems like it was just yesterday; regardless, I'm so grateful we went! We have incredible memories and we missed a big snowstorm back in Ohio that weekend, Dec. 8-10, 2005.

We've been doing ok. I of course put on a much bigger "front" in public, but it helps me get through I guess. I am grateful when people are not afraid to mention her name or bring it up. Our "little rock" (Shayla) has also caved more times in recent days than ever before. (Shayla had been asking us nearly every day, "Are you guys doing ok?" which really cracked us up wondering who is really doing the parenting here.) I think the approach of the holidays has also been hard on her.

Last Sunday was Shayla's church program with her CCD class. It also included the 5th graders program. Thankfully, I was at another Univeristy in another state because I don't think I could have handled that. I felt bad enough for Shayne who was sending me text messages during the program and my heart was bleeding for him having to endure that. I had a hard enough time just opening up the school newsletter and seeing the 5th grade Honor Roll knowing Christi's name wouldn't appear this year.

Last Friday at school, the elementary students all sent to the theatre to watch the movie "Elf". Christi always LOVED riding the bus with her friends and going to the movies with them at Christmas time. I was teaching and glanced out the windows and saw all of the buses lined up, it sucked my breath away. I made myself forget about it then in the afternoon I just happened to glance out the windows and sure enough I saw Christi's class hopping off the busses and marching back into the building - tough stuff!

My busy schedule has slowed considerably. My OSU quarter of full time coursework ended this week, praise God! I made it! About a month ago I sat at the kitchen table working on many projects and I said to Shayne, "I don't know if I can really do this." He looked at me and said, "What's the worse thing that happens? You get your first B?" Well, Ohio State posts grades next week and it won't surprise me if I've received my first "B", or second, third, or fourth - hee hee since I registered for four courses. Regardless, I'm so happy that I now have time to read what I want to read not what a Professor tells me I must read. Ahhhhh! I have quite a book stack I'm anxious to begin today!

A year ago we went with Webby & Alicia on an incredible three night Disney Cruise. Days before her death, Christi out of the blue said she was dreaming about our cruise and how much she enjoyed it.
Christi loved her first (and last)cruise.
Eric took the girls to "Swim with the Dolphins"
Swimming with the World's Greatest Dad aboard the Disney Wonder cruiseship.
An Invitation to the Bridge! The girls meet the Captain of the Disney Cruiseship and get to "steer" us out of port.
Shayla 6 1/2, Christi 8 1/2 years

4 Comments:

At 9/12/06 10:29 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I can only imagine the pain you still feel all the time and I pray each night that someday the memories will linger without the pain. It is so wonderful that you have so so many memories of better times. Christi was such a lucky little girl you have been given so much love and to have seen such kindness in her short 9 years. You are all still in our hearts every minute and in our thoughts often. Everytime I am in the RMH in Philly i take the time to find a Quite place and let the tears fall for the life she had yet to live!

All our love

Lisa Adams www.edenadams.com

 
At 9/12/06 9:18 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Sending Hugs and much, much love.

Oh how my heart breaks for all of you that Christi is not in your arms and in your home.


Lots of love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 10/12/06 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I don't know where to begin really. Whenever I get on myspace I always visit Christi's website, and I make it a point to visit her site last. I do this because I know that I won't function right afterwards. I am too torn up. Since I have "known" Christi and followed your painful journey I can honestly say I do not take life for granted anymore. I cherish life. Christi has inspired me to do that. Her bravery can be matched by no other. I pray for your family as do many others. You will get through this, Christi is not in any pain now. Someday I will get to meet your dear daughter in person, and that I am looking forward to. No words spoken can make your sadness go away. I just wanted to let you know how much I have learned about life AND death from your dear little angel Christi. She took her cancer in stride. She was a brave little girl. I never got to meet her, yet I miss her like I knew her in person. I guess that's the affect Christi has on people. Please try to be strong for Christi's little "twin" Shayla. I will end this here. I just felt compelled to write to you. My heart ached for you when I read your last blog about seeing the school bus going to the movies and coming back with no Christi on it. I can't imagine how you hang in there in times like these. But you be strong, your little angel will guide the way mom. She is there with you at all times, even if you don't see her, she is. Hold your head up high, you are the mother of Christi Thomas, and she is on the greatest honor roll of all. God's honor roll! God Bless you and your family.

 
At 10/12/06 1:42 PM, Blogger Kim said...

What beautiful memories for all of you - and especially for Shayla! I am not surprised that Christi mentioned her cruise shortly before she died...that was a happy time for her and I can only believe that God and Heaven's angels surround sweet children with thoughts of things that make them feel happy and at peace as they make their journey Home.

With continued prayers for all of you -

Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home