Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Traci's Eulogy

Christi with her favorite "Cave Girls" (Age 5 1/2, April 2003 at COSI)
Surprise Birthday Party (on the way to the airport of course!) for Christi's 7th birthday held by Elizabeth and Harriet (May 2004)Forever Friends: Traci & Christi

Dec. 2004: Florida
December 2002 (Christi, age 5) with Jenn "Elizabeth" and Traci "Harriett" at COSI in Adventure.
Picture taken: October 2002, In Adventure, at COSI. This is the location where Christi first met Traci & Jenn. Christi couldn't wait to bring her daddy to this incredible place so despite being in isolation, we took her back a month later. At that visit I asked for the sweet little lady named "Harriet" because I wanted to know if her supervisor recieved the letter I wrote praising "Harriet" for her incredible work with my girls in September. Traci probably wishes I never would have asked for her that day, but she'll never know how richly she blessed Christi's life. Harriet and Elizabeth were, without a doubt, two of Christ's very best friends!


Eulogy for Princess Christi
By Traci Weaver (aka “Harriet”)


I first met the Thomas girls on September 4th, 2002. They came to visit COSI, and ended up staying all day, picking me over their scheduled afternoon trip to the Art museum, a high honor coming from Christi. Soon after, Elizabeth, Christi, Shayla and I became fast friends. We played together, traveled together, learned from each other, and at times got each other into trouble.

Christi's 9th birthday surprise: Racing Go Cars at Magic Mountain in Columbus - on the way to the airport to get back to Philly! (Christi really wasn't tall enough but Traci and friends managed to convince the guy she was. I just kept thinking, "I really don't think she's going to die by crashing a go-cart, but it would be a better way to go out.")

Early this year, when Elizabeth and I went to stay with Christi and Angela at the Ronald McDonald House in Philadelphia, Christi and I stayed up late one night while Angela and Elizabeth tried to sleep in the next bed. Christi and I would be quiet, waiting for Angela to fall asleep, and then promptly begin to whisper and giggle, which would wake Angela, who would mumble sleepily, "Christi, go to sleep." We'd be quiet for a while, then start giggling again until we heard another sleepy command, "Christi, be quiet". This went on for a while until we decided, we'd better stop before she separates us.

Christi's off with Traci for her Private Island Party - wow! What a glorious night at COSI!! I've taken on many roles in Christi and Shayla's world; my favorites include: explorer, bicycle riding opera singer, swim instructor, cholesterol in a big giant heart, sister, fancy pillow bridge designer, admirer, partner in crime, jungle gym, Italian spy, sea monkey farmer, and countless animals and other fantastical creatures.

March 2003: Jenn & Traci drive to NYC to bring Christi, stuck in the hospital, some giggles! Christi was my friend, my accomplice, she always seemed to know when I needed to laugh, and when I needed to just sit and hold her hand. At times, I think she knew me better than I know myself.

She and Shayla and Shayne and Angela have enriched my life in ways I cannot express. They've opened their hearts and their home to me, and treated me like one of their own. In them, I've found a support system, true friendship and love; in them, I've found a family. In fact, there was a rumor going around Disney World a couple years ago that I was the third Thomas daughter, the one they kept locked in the basement, who only gets to come out and play on special occasions.

During the time I've spent with them, I've heard Angela introduce Christi many times and explain her name as spelled like "Christ" with an "I". This description could not be more accurate. Christi truly has a Christ-like quality. Even in death, she has the power to change lives, to touch hearts, and to inspire courage. Over the past several days, I’ve gotten many emails from fellow COSI team members expressing how Christi has affected them. This one in particular from our friend Dave: “Christi has made a big impact on me. I hug my kids tighter, and try to appreciate every moment more because of visiting that blog, and knowing what true love, true parenting, true strength, and true zest for life is. I could never thank Christi or her family enough for what they’ve given me.”

One of my all time favorite pics: Jenn & Traci with Christi in Philadelphia, spring 2006 (Christi age 8). Check out Christi's expression! Hee hee hee! Don't let her fool you - she LOVED it!

As she fought her battle with bravery, humor, and unfailing kindness, I don’t think she could have known how much I looked up to her, for her brilliant mind, her dazzling spirit and grace, and her unconditional love for everyone she came in contact with. Of course, I could never tell her I looked up to her, because she would immediately giggle and remind me again, “Well, I am almost taller than you.” She was and always will be my inspiration, my guidepost for generosity, faith, and humility, and above all, she will always be my hero.

I will miss you my precious friend, and I can’t wait to see you again, look into those beautiful blue eyes, and giggle with you at all the jokes and stories you’re saving up. You will be with me when I laugh, and just like mom told me, whenever something goofy happens, I’ll know it’s you.
Spring 2006: In Philadelphia at Franklin Institute
Can you find Traci? She's the only pall bearer wearing pink! We LOVED it! Additionally, rumor has it Traci - the theme party planner, also has special pink princess undergarments on in honor of Princess Christi! Christi most likely is still giggling in Heaven over that one!

9 Comments:

At 6/12/06 8:47 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

What a perfectly beautifuly eulogy for a precfetly beautiful princess.

Traci is truly incredible! Thanks for sharing her eulogy here.

Mike's was perfect as well. I'll be doing my "Christi kindness" this Sunday as I give blood. I'm sure my tears will roll as they always do as I give when I think of Christi!

With love, prayers and admiration,
Heather

 
At 6/12/06 9:26 PM, Blogger Kait said...

Angela,

Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful eulogies with us all. I love reading them and remembering Christi and her beauty and light.

 
At 6/12/06 11:17 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Gasp! Traci wearing pink! I never thought I'd see it happen.

Angela, thanks for posting this. It was wonderful to get to read it. Also, seeing Jason prancing like a ballerina is pretty great too.

-Sarah

 
At 7/12/06 9:34 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Angela - Shayne - Shayla ... Thank you for sharing another great eulogy by someone who knew Christi SO well ... what a special friend Christi had in Traci ... you can just feel the love and pain in Traci's words - I know how much they meant to eachother ... the memories will last forever and the photos will bring them back every time they are looked at ... Christi sure had a fun filled 9 years and I know that she made every one who knew her happy and smile! I will be sure to follow the lead of your sweet daughter and perform a Christi Kindness often! We all should live the way Christi did ... thank you Angela for sharing another great part of Christi's life!

Love form my family to yours!

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 
At 7/12/06 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing the words of Christi's friends. Having just attended the funeral of my special grandfather-in-law yesterday, I truly appreciate how wonderful it is to have those words to look back on. Thank you for every post that you share with us; I am inspired by Christi's life and the lives you continue to live. I only wish I could have found Christi's blog years ago!

 
At 7/12/06 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, Shayne & Shayla;
THANK YOU for opening up your hearts and allowing so many strangers into your lives every day. Not a day goes by you are not in my thoughts and I check in on you. My heart breaks for you all and I pray that there is peace in your family.(I just finally created a blog account to post a comment....and I would guess there are hundreds; maybe thousands of others out there that are the same, strangers who think and pray for you every day. Strangers who somehow don't feel like strangers anymore, personally speaking I feel close to you and that is because of your courage to allow so many into your life by posting daily thoughts). So many days when I read, often in tears, I find myself thinking "this is just not fair"! I'm sure you also have that thought as well. Thank you for giving other parents a new outlook on how to love our children and cherish every day! May God Bless you and give you Peace this holiday season. Hugs from Central Wisconsin!!

 
At 7/12/06 9:10 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Traci, that was beautiful. At the service, I was not able to hear everything that you said, so what a gift that Angela posted it. Thomas team, you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us.

 
At 8/12/06 12:29 AM, Blogger brooke said...

angela - thank you for sharing the eulogies with us. they are very very touching.

i also wanted to stop in and tell you i've thought a lot about you as i come to the end of my first phd semester. i really do admire you. this phd thing is hard, very hard. i have no idea how you do it. totally amazing. i hope you don't mind if i think of you during the really hard moments as inspiration that yes - i can do this.

-brooke, in logan, utah.

 
At 8/12/06 4:27 PM, Blogger nikki the red said...

traci is indeed the best. she & christi certainly seemed two peas in a pod. i'm glad that traci came into my own life & that we are able to talk about the wonderful ct!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home