Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Perform a "Christi Kindness" - Eulogy by Mike Kerschner

Outside of the Old Fort Bank Christi conducts an "Alex & Christi's Lemonade Stand". In this picture, an Official Proclamation is taking place making it: "Christi Thomas Day in Tiffin"

Words by Mike Kerschner, President of the Old Fort Bank
We are here today to celebrate the wonderful but, oh too short life of a beautiful young girl – Christi Thomas. Our hearts are full of sorrow for Shayne, Angela and Shayla who have lost their precious child and sister. We recognize their immense courage. Today we are all hurting and feel grief-stricken. Shayne and Angela have somehow found the strength to gather here with their friends and family, to reach out for help to face this most tragic of times. It is very hard to find words that will help them. But with the memory of a smiling, happy beautiful girl close to my heart, I will try to offer some comforting words.

We all have our own beloved memory of Christi. One of my favorites is when I told her how much I liked the paper dogs and cats she made for her dad’s desk. Lo & behold, Christi showed up in a couple of days with a paper dog she made just for me. She couldn’t have been any prouder of her handy-work and I couldn’t have been any more grateful to her. That moment exemplifies Christi to me. What a charmer!

Her giggles were infectious, her stories were hilarious - when the doctor came in one day she said “I eat an apple everyday and he still doesn’t go away.” Her eyes were filled with hope - especially when she was organizing a blood donation day or setting up a lemonade stand. Her compassion for others was inspiring. She would visit other children in the hospital and give them words of encouragement – her line was “I’m not sick, I just have cancer.”

Guided by her love-struck mom and dad she learned to blow kisses, wave bye-bye, give the raspberries, crawl, walk, run and skip and win more hearts by the minute. We all loved her. We all hurt helplessly. Where will Shayne and Angela find the strength? Where will the rest of us find the strength to help them? Our love for Christi will hold dear always. Love for the God who gave Christi to us. Love for one another and for life itself.

Shayne and Angela, I just want you to know that to me, you are braver than any president or king. We thank you for Christi who lit up the world for all who loved her and who gave the best hugs ever. She was truly an inspiration. How many parents gave their kids an extra hug after going to her web site? How many extra prayers have been said? How much more deeply do people care because of Christi? How many people get up and go to church instead of rolling over?

I have a challenge for each of us. Let’s keep Christi’s grace – her compassion and her charm alive and well. Let’s perform a “Christi Kindness” whenever we have the opportunity. When asked, volunteer for that hour or two when it’s not really convenient. Give blood in Christi’s name when you can. Write an encouraging note to someone who needs a lift. Visit that person you’ve been meaning to go see – This is what Christi inspired – this is the important stuff - please join me in performing a “Christi Kindness” whenever you can.

Shayne and Angela, you’ve accomplished what we all dream of for our children – for them to be happy and to make it to heaven when this earthly life is over. Christi is smiling on you now and forever from her honored seat in heaven – God Bless.

Christi "helps" Mike donate blood at one of her American Red Cross Blood Drives (Another one will be held in Christi's Memory on Monday, March 19th from noon to six at Hospice in Tiffin. We hope you can attend.)

Thank you, Mike for the lovely words! Christi always loved receiving your time and attention!

6 Comments:

At 5/12/06 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just posted three times but because of this new beta blog it didn't work. I just wanted to let you know that I am proud of all the Christi Kindness she had accomplished throughout her life. I try to continue her legacy by helping at least one person per day. I also laughed at Mike's eulogy when he said that Christi used to say "I'm not sick I just have cancer" because my sister did the exact same thing. She just had a baby and I hope Christi is shining down on Allie in the NICU or at least talking to the big guy to keep her safe. Also, I wanted to send something to Shayla but I wanted to make sure the mailing address was still valid- let me know if you want otherwise I'll just give it a shot - My email is misserinaustin@yahoo.com

Much love to the thomas team <3erin

 
At 5/12/06 11:51 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Absolutely beautiful! ...so well said Mike. Thank you. How I wish I could donate in Tiffin....but since I cannot, I will do so in Christi's name during Penn State's THON weekend in February. love, sylvia

 
At 6/12/06 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela, Shayne and Shayla,

I love the new post!!
My name is Lisa Forss, I reside in Mesa Arizona. I have followed Christi's blog since the first few posts and have posted a few comments here and there. I must share that, Christi has been a MAJOR inspiration to me and still is and always will be. I was dx in August 2001, 3 short months after giving birth to my wonderful handsome son Zachary, with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, I went thru rounds of chemo and 2 radiation 'blasts' and had a bmt and went into remission in 2003. In December 2005 I was dx with A.L.L (acute lymphoblastic leukemia). I have fought long and hard, as you all know how hard it is. I have been on chemo this time for almost a year straight, give or take a week or two. I am now recieving radiation weekly on my spine/skull for new spots that have wiggled their way in my body. DARN THIS DISEASE-I DO NOT LIKE YOU!!!
I was told 4wks 2days ago, what NO ONE IN THE WORLD wants to hear "Terminal".
That word scares the living bajeebers out of me. I cling to my life not only for my self but for my son, my sister, my friends and my family. I am afraid to even think about life without me here. I have too many people behind me and it scares me. I wish I had Christi's courage, or the courage of You (angela) and Shayne as well as Shayla's undying love and compassion. She is an amazing little girl and an even more amazing sister.
My son Zach, is now 5yrs old and he knows his mommy has sick. "Its okay Mommy, You just have YOU-KEY-ME-UH. Im not scared, you will be fine" he tells me every so often. I am also the older sister of a beautiful little girl named Jenny, who is now 10yrs old. I try not to show my sadness and fright but she knows how it is.

Anyways,
What im trying to say is,
regardless of what Im going thru, What im fighting for (a semi normal life), and whatever road I may lead...Christi has been my number one inspiration, despite it all she always had a smile back on her face and never gave up.
I want to be like her.
I want to be the one who has the smile back on her face instead of tears daily of intense fear.
Christi Will ALWAYS play a part in my life and in the lives of my son and sister. We cherish the memories we've read about on this blog site and on her website. (christithomas.com)

Sincerely Yours,
Lisa Forss in AZ aged 22
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisaforss

 
At 6/12/06 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I attended a Christmas praise and worship service last night and a friend of mine who is single mother of an 11 year son who will need a 2nd heart transplant within the next year or so, asked me where she could go to get help with her overdue electric bill. The trips back and forth to Houston have financially crippled this small family. Unbeknownst to her (she left early because Taylor wasn't feeling well) and in strict confidentiality, throughout the service several brothers and sisters gave whatever they had without a second thought and gave more than what was needed. After I had reached "the goal" they still were coming to me with money in hand and insisting that I give it anyways. As you were typing this entry I was sitting on her couch sharing the story of Christi and the agape gift from unnamed servants of God. So in honor of your daughter and in service to our God, one mother went to bed last night with her electric bill paid for and a prepaid gas card in her purse. Thank you Christi for teaching me that life is so beautiful when you give your heart to others.

 
At 6/12/06 11:50 AM, Blogger FBC Woodway Blog Editor said...

Christmas in Heaven

I see the countless CHRISTMAS TREES around the world below with tiny lights like HEAVEN’S STARS eflecting on the snow.

The sight is so SPECTACULAR please wipe away that tear for I am spending CHRISTMAS WITH JESUS CHRIST this year.

I hear the many CHRISTMAS SONGS that people hold so dear but the SOUND OF MUSIC can't compare with the CHRISTMAS CHOIR up here.

I have no words to tell you of the JOY their voices bring for it is beyond description to HEAR THE ANGELS SING.

I know HOW MUCH YOU MISS ME, I see the pain inside your heart for I am spending CHRISTMAS WITH JESUS CHRIST this year.

I can't tell you of the SPLENDOR or the PEACE here in this place.
Can you just imagine CHRISTMAS WITH OUR SAVIOR face to face

I'll ask him to LIFT YOUR SPIRIT as I tell him of your love so then PRAY FOR ONE ANOTHER as you lift your eyes above.

Please let your HEARTS BE JOYFUL and let your SPIRIT SING for I am spending CHRISTMAS IN HEAVEN and I’m walking WITH THE KING.

~ by Wanda Bencke
© Copyright 1999

 
At 7/12/06 9:31 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Thomas Team ~ it has been nice reading all the posts I have fallen behind on ... the eulogies by the people who knew and loved Christi best were beautfiul ... you are lucky to be surrounded by SO many loving friends and family! The photo of Dr. Christi is adorable ... the toothless smile made me giggle! Oh and it is GREAT to watch the videos just to put a voice to her face! What an amazing little girl!

Love from my family to yours!
Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home