Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

She Lives


I asked Dr. Reynolds to send me the picture that was in our local newspaper. (Christi's cells are in the flask with the blue lid.) I take great comfort in knowing that even though cancer killed Christi's body, it wasn't able to kill her ability to try and help tame the darn cancer beast. Her cells were able to survive against horrible odds and therefore a part of her will always live with us here on earth. I don't know why that gives me some peace, but it does. The article is now out in Science Magazine's Jan. 5, 2007 edition. We'll be looking for it when we get to a bookstore.

After school today Shayla and I went to get my X-ray and MRI results. While I thought my back/neck pain and limited mobility I've been having since October was just due to stress, when things let up in December my pain continued. I tried massage, chiropractic, over the counter pain medicines and narcotics...still I found no relief. Finally, the MRI taken on Tuesday showed what was up. I have a bulging disc protrusion on my spine, in between my shoulder blades. I have no idea how that happened, but at least I know it's "something" now. In hopes of avoiding surgery, I'll be having traction conducted on my neck/spine three times a week for sometime. Hopefully, I'll get some relief soon. It really is painful to move at times, yet I know the pain I'm experiencing is NOTHING compared to what Christi endured. When my doctor said, "You're quite a trooper to be able to take the pain for so long," I could only think that I learned to just keep marching along from a beautiful little solider forced to grow up and enter the war all too soon. She's my hero and my inspiration! I miss you, sweetpea!

7 Comments:

At 5/1/07 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH ANGELA!!! SHAYNE AND SHAYLA!!! I am SOOOO HAPPY to hear the news!! WOW!!! Results of FU-NB 2006 being published in a Science magazine--now THAT is AWESOME!! GO CHRISTI!!! Christi's legacy is going to live ON for a LONG TIME to come--atleast that is my feeling. Especially when you were told that there was only a 20% chance that the cell line would 'take?' AMAZING!!! I am SURE Christi was looking down from Heaven at the people in the lab working on the cell line and saying to herself--"YOU JUST WAIT!! THAT CELL LINE IS GOING TO "TAKE!!" And then she ran off to play with her friends and relatives! Thank you SOOOO MUCH for keeping us updated on what is happening with FU-NB 2006!! It means A LOT to many people, myself included! There is NOT an hour that goes by that I don't think about Christi and ALL of you guys!! I even find myself thinking about Christi and your family and I just start crying. I just have a hard time dealing with young people who die and should STILL be HERE LIVING a LONG, HAPPY, HEALTHY LIFE!!!! It all just seems SOOOOO UNFAIR!!!! I do trust The Lord that He knows what He is doing. I just wish and pray A LOT that there WILL be an END to these young, innocent children from having to go thru ALL the pain, medicine etc from this HORRIBLE MONSTER called 'cancer!!!' UGH!!!

Angela--I am SOOOO GLAD that your MRI showed something that is EASY for the Drs. to fix!! I was VERY worried when I first read that entry!!

May God Bless your family always and thank you again for sharing Christi with us, and for continuing to update her blog page.

Hugs and prayers always---
Christie

 
At 5/1/07 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela:
Attached is the link to the newspaper article which was published today in Science Magazine about Christi's cell line:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/315/5808/23c?
Thanks,
Maria

 
At 5/1/07 9:23 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Thanks for sharing that great picture of the amazing Christi's cells. Amazing little gal she was!

I'm soo sorry to hear about your own neck pain. Poor thing! I hope and pray the traction brings you relief quickly.

Many hugs much love and prayers forever and always- I miss your Christi too!

Heather

 
At 5/1/07 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! I wonder how that would have happened! My uncle has a couple of those and has to have surgery soon I think. I definitely hope you can avoid that completely!

 
At 5/1/07 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why this entry moved me quicker to tears than others. I know the decision to donate her cells was not ultimately Christi's but in knowing her through your faithful writing, I know she would want it no other way. Live on beautiful angel!! What a truly unselfish and loving decision that your family made to help so many others. Angela, I along with so many others, will pray for quick and complete healing for your back pain.

 
At 6/1/07 9:58 AM, Blogger Brigid and Celie said...

GO CHRISTI!
You'll always be our inspiration.

XOXOXO
Brigid and Celie

 
At 6/1/07 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is some of the best news I've heard in quite sometime.

FU_NB!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home