Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

"Christi" by Courtney (SE High School Student)

Not only was I deeply touched when this amazing former language arts student of mine (now in high school) came to the funeral home by herself, but I later learned that she had donated her hair to "Locks of Love". Soon after Christi died, I received this wonderful poem she wrote about Christi. Writing helps me cope and I'm so glad Courtney can use writing to help her too! We love this very special poem! Thank you, dear Courtney!

PHOTO: A frightening Christi. Mid-September 2002, age 5, days after being diagnosed with what ultimately her death sentence

“Christi”
Written by Courtney M.


I never was quite able to understand
Why horrible things happened and under who’s demand

Then all of the sudden, out of the clear blue
I formed in my mind the story of you

I think of all the things you’ve gone through
The things you’ve seen and had to do

I think of how strong you are
And how for children around the world, you raised the bar

You held your chin up high and did what you had to do
You pushed from the depths of your precious heart to make it through

To be quite honest and tell the truth
I don’t know many people who hung on like you

It all started when you were so young
It took us all by surprise, with a feeling that stung

The question of “why?” rung through the air
Why her? Why so young? This questions some could not bare

People needed an answer they needed it now
There was so much confusion but not many said it out loud

But deep down inside, especially you
Must have known exactly why and what you were set out to do

Some still don’t understand why this happened to you
And why it tugged at the hearts of everyone who knew

And for me it took a while too
Then I figured it out the purpose of the story of you

I realized Christi why you were put here on earth
So people could witness, witness a birth

Not the birth of a great god or a president to be
But merely the birth of an angel growing her wings

The wings that will fly you to heaven above
Where there is no fear or sorrow but is filled with your love.

(Just Weeks Before Diagnosis: Christi's "Art Show" at the end of "Art Camp" at the YMCA, Summer 2002, Age 5. She doesn't even look ill, does she? We had NO idea what would soon happen.)

1 Comments:

At 27/2/07 12:52 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

That beautiful poem brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing it.

I agree Christi doesn't look ill at all in that picture. Although in many of her pictures you've shared I never really thought she looked as ill as she was on the inside.

Love you all!! Thanks for keeping up the blog so we can keep up with how you are coping!

Lots of love to you and many prayers,

Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home