Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Christi Thomas Memorial Easter Egg Hunt at Tiffin Univ.


Thankfully, we’ve been “beyond busy” and that has allowed us to keep our minds focused elsewhere. Getting out just one Easter basket instead of two was very difficult and not without tears. Each time I see it, along with Christi’s baby picture beside it, I find myself sad instead of happy. She LOVED running and scooping up Easter eggs, not to mention coloring and decorating the eggs.
April 2006

After church last Sunday, we headed to another “Christi’s Tea Party” planning meeting with those amazing ‘Proper Party’ ladies, Kami & Kristin (and Jennifer and Lisa)! Fabulous items have been donated, including tickets to a Cleveland Indians baseball game and tickets to the Ritz Theatre!!

So far over 50 people are registered to attend. If you'd like to attend, please don't wait. Registration must be cut off at 140 as the country club cannot serve any more. (This means only 90 more tickets can be sold.) Last summer Christi asked if her next birthday could be a tea party for her friends. Although this is not how we envisioned celebrating Christi’s tenth birthday, we do think it’ll be a wonderful event! Everyone has been working so hard! If you'd like to donate or to attend, please follow this link: http://www.active.com/donate/christi

Shayla was thrilled with her grade card which came home last weekend and so were we!! Her teacher wrote, “Her progress in reading is nothing short of remarkable!” We’re very thankful to Dr. Schader! When we stayed with her in San Fran weeks after Christ's death, Robin diagnosed Shayla with an excessive convergence problem which was preventing her from reading text properly and which was causing her headaches last year. We’ve very proud of Shayla’s hard work and dedication to all of her required eye exercises to rid her of her “excessive convergence” problem. What a blessing! (I still remember Dr. Z. saying, "It's expensive, takes time and hard work, insurance doesn't cover any of it, but it's 100% curable." I said, "We've spent thousands of dollars on treatments that didn't cure so this sounds like a bargain!")

Last week on a visit to the cemetery I was humbled to see two new items left for Christi. A darling ceramic cat from her sweet school friend, Ali and a pink Angel piglet. God's people are amazing! I find so much comfort in knowing others loved Christi too. It makes me feel like I'm not alone.

This week Heidelberg College’s Education Department put up a plaque of tribute to Christi. I've not yet been in to see it, but my friends told me it’s placed outside of the Early Childhood Education room, which contains her lemonade stand inside. We are very touched! We also understand the plaque which will be placed beside her tree outside of the Education Building will be arriving soon. Go, Berg!!

The Christi Thomas Scholarship Committee put a great deal of time, thought, prayer and discussion into selecting the first scholarship winners. It was more difficult than we ever imagined. All of their application packets were fabulous! I'll share some pieces of their applications down the road. We really couldn’t decide on just one; therefore, Shayne and I decided to award two $1,000 scholarships to two Heidelberg College students and to give all of the applicants a $100 scholarship award because all were worthy. Shayne and I will be on hand to present these at their awards assembly in a couple of weeks. I had planned to make the presentation; however, after calling the two $1,000 winners in person yesterday I was in tears (and the “kids” were so grateful; it was really humbling) so now I realize Dr. Lori Grine is going to need to help me out (again) and do the talking for us. Other Angel parents have told me it’s very hard. May God be with us.

The Christi Thomas Memorial Egg Hunt at Tiffin University was held yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, I had to rush off to Ohio State right after school, but Shayla was there with bells (and bunny ears) on! Our thanks to Tiffin University for remembering Christi. (Isn’t that banner awesome?!!) I remember last year rushing out after school to get Christi to the hospital to get her blood counts checked and then quickly we took off for the Tiffin University egg hunt and somehow accomplished all of that by 4PM. While I love all my classes this quarter and I don’t miss going to the hospital before and after school, I really wish it were April 2006 and Christi would still be here with us.



Well, thanks to a 2 hour delay this morning (Can you believe it? It snowed yesterday and now black ice!) I had a chance to update the blog. Here’s wishing you all a blessed day during this special Holy Week.

4 Comments:

At 5/4/07 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it's great how Christi is remebered everywhere, the banner is awesome.
Wish you a Happy Easter Week.
you are always in my prays.
Much hugs and Love

Lena

 
At 5/4/07 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats so great about the plaque.. i am looking at colleges and i really want my parents to take me to see heidelberg b/c it looks like such a great place!! those pictures of the easter egg hunt are soo cute!!
Leah

 
At 5/4/07 5:55 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

That Banner ROCKS!! It's wonderful, although of course my heart wishes that there was no need for Memorial Egg Hunt.

And how kind and generous of you and Shayne (like always) to award two scholorships! I'm sure Christi is oh so proud.

I'm sorry you only had one Easter basket to get out and fill this year. May God be with you and grant you peace.

I love you!

Lots of love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 5/4/07 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you cried tears of sadness as I can't imagine how hard it was getting out one basket rather than two. I pray that in time remembering the precious memories of past Easter holidays with sweet Christi will be a bit easier on you. I always loved Easter as a child and have some great memories. One that i'll never forget was when my family hid real eggs for my sister and I to hunt when we were 8 and 9. There were about two or three that we couldn't find and no one remembered where they were hidden.. until a few weeks later we happened to smell them in the yard and found them! If I remember correctly I think one of our dogs dug up a rotten egg as well!

Christ's Tea Party just keeps getting better and better! I bet Christi is so excited that her friends and family will get to attend her party. I truly wish Christi could physically be there but I find comfort in knowing she will be there in spirit. Stay Strong!

P.S- Prayers needed for my husky Torre! She has taken a turn for the worst as of early this morning. She hasn't been able to get comfortable and she has been urinating several times an hour, not able to go number two due to no food in her system from not eating. Plus her urine has had blood in it. She had two more seizures the other night and one more at the vet the other morning. She's at the vet now on morphine to help her relax and sleep. She will probably have to get an MRI and we're not expecting good results as she could possibly have a brain tumor. Please pray for my sweet Torre! She has had a great, healthy 14 years of life until the past two months and it hurts seeing her suffer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home