Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Thanks, Jenn! (After hosting one of their largest days at COSI - 1800 kids, "Elizabeth" still had time to entertain and teach Shayla too, amazing!)

I didn't realize the week would be so hard until I was sitting in the Ritz theatre, with Shayla, waiting for her dance team's turn to practice on stage. I vividly remember last year: Christi was discharged just in the nick of time to fly home and zip right to the Ritz for practice. The big recital, which Christi loved soooooooooo much, is this weekend. It's going to be a killer, I think. The recital will start off with THE TEACHERS (So sweet! I've heard this will be something new in the 27 year history of Dance Unlimited; the teachers don't typically dance.) actually dancing a song in tribute to Christi. There will be a slideshow of Christi in the background. Director Mary Jo's loving husband, Bob, will read a poem that he wrote. (He was one of Christi's pall bearers.) At the end of the evening, the Thomas team will award the $1,000 Christi Thomas Memorial Scholarship.

I've really been enjoying my extra time with Shayla. I'm still amazed at her compassion and thoughtfulness. Last Friday I had an evening teachers meeting in Columbus so we left in the afternoon. First we stopped at Aunt Marty and Uncle Jeff's because one of the minature ponies they board just had a baby. Seeing a minature pony, less than one day old, was amazing. They also have a mother cat and five kittens that someone just left at their farm so they're taking care of the kittens, getting them fixed and looking for owners. (Aren't they amazing?!)

After that visit we went to COSI where we were able to squeeze Harriet and Elizabeth away from their work to play for a while. Shayla loved having "CT" and "Shay" climb all over her. (Yuck!) Much to my surprise I learned that our internet friend, Heather, was also at COSI that day. Ironically, I came very close to calling her to see if she could meet us for lunch, but then I was trying to finish up one of my final papers for my classes and we left much later than I had planned.

Traci "watched" Shayla on Friday night while I attended my meeting. (Or should I say Traci watched Shayla cut her hair?!) After my meeting, I turned my phone on and saw a picture of Shayla with a huge pair of scissors in her hands and Traci's hair in the middle. That Traci is amazing. She said she needed a hair cut and thought Shayla might like to do it, so why not? Can you tell why Shayla loves being with Traci so much. Too sweet!

Sunday was a delightful day. After church we went to mom and Joe's where 28 of our family members were there for a potluck. It was wonderful to see my aunts, cousins and their precious little ones. Shayla had a grand time, even trying to leave with aunt Tina by hopping in their van.

Enjoying the new little tiger kitties. Wouldn't Christi had LOVED this day at Aunt Marty's?!

5 Comments:

At 5/6/07 9:06 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I hear that Traci's haircut is sassy and cute, so I'm sure Shayla did an excellent job. :)

 
At 5/6/07 11:32 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

Shayla, it certainly looks like you've had a lot of fun! You definitely know how to keep busy. :o) I love the picture of you and the kitten.

Angela, I can only imagine how much you all miss Christi, especially in moments like these when you know she would have found such joy. She is with you through it all. I am sure she loved the many activities, seeing the kittens and preparing for the Ritz show. I can only imagine your pain, but I am thinking of you and praying for your comfort.

Much love,
Olivia

 
At 5/6/07 9:29 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

You all will be in my thoughts and prayers especially often this weekend.

I'll be praying that God will hold you close and give you His Strength!

Shayla looks great and I LOL at sweet Traci allowing her to cut her hair. How funny!

Sorry we missed each other at COSI- call me anytime I'm always up for a lunch date with special friends!

My love and prayers to you all,
Heather

 
At 6/6/07 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures are so sweet! I especially love the ones of Shayla with "CT" and "Shay" and with the precious kitty! She looks so happy with her little furry buddies. I really hope there will be video available of the dance tribute to Christi, that'd be simply precious to see. I love the pictures of Christi from June 2006 at her recital looking like a beautiful earthly angel.. now she's a beautiful heavenly angel! Stay Strong!

If tears could build a stairwell
and memories were a lane,
I would walk right up to Heaven
and bring you home again.
-Unknown

 
At 8/6/07 12:03 PM, Blogger nikki the red said...

traci is amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home