Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Dread and Anxiety



All year the day has been behind us. Now it is before us, something we will have to make our way through again. I think that sums up why I am extremely anxious and fearful about September 19th approaching - yuck! Yesterday, I worked in my classroom. It just reminded me of last year, taking the girls with me and preparing for school. We were all so excited! Never would I have ever imagined how quickly things would go downhill. I wish my mind would let me forget everything that happened one year ago, but I find I'm waking up in a panic remembering the horror all over again.

In just a bit we will load up Grandma Nee Nee (and her cigarettes, cough, smile) and drive her to Toledo. With any luck her 1PM surgery will go off without a hitch. (And with any lucky while she's in surgery I can talk to someone about starting a smoking cessation program, or at least slap on a nicotine patch or something, hee hee!) She's ready, or so she says! I hope and pray all goes as well as possible and that she's discharged tonight or tomorrow. Shayne, who has been changing her open wounds every 12 hours, took a picture of her leg because he said one look and I'd be passed out on the floor but he thinks I'll be able to look at a photo of it instead. Because her leg was swelling so fast when they brought her to Toledo via ambulance, they had to put her out at the bedside and then slice both sides of her leg to relieve pressure so that she wouldn't lose it. I think perhaps that has been more painful and has caused more problems than the two broken leg bones themselves. Regardless, Shayla and I made three different kinds of cookies for Nee Nee to take to the nurses for taking such good care of her last time. Our family knows, of course, that nurses (just like the countless volunteers we've met) are true Angels from Heaven! May they one day be richly blessed!

I remember the night Grandma Nee Nee came over and brought the girls Avon's matching raincoats and umbrellas. They had so much fun pretending it was raining in the kitchen. Today I noticed that Christi only had ONE sock on. How I wish she were sitting on my lap because I know she's really be giggling about that and predicting what she did with the other one, what a hoot! I miss that little giggly one! I hope you look down over Nee Nee today and if you see anything funny happen that you laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh, my little sweetpea!

9 Comments:

At 2/8/07 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The anticipation is always worse then the day!
I'm coming up on 7 years since my brother's death (the week after Christi died). I feel like the Army chaplin is going to walk in my office every time the door opens and tell me that Tom was killed in an accident. I relive the pain and cry at the drop of a hat. I still feel like he could walk in the door at any moment, and then I remember he is gone. Birthdays and anniversary's are very sad days. Sunday would have been Tom's 27th birthday, and I can't help but be sad for the memories that we never got to make. Hang in there, and know I'm lifting the Thomas team up in prayer.
My best friend Peyton passed away 3 years ago from cancer. She always used to say..."It's only a day. It's a day that something really bad happened, but it's just a day. Tom lived for 20 years, and died 1 day, so remember the good times and be blessed with the memories." I always remind myself that it is just a day.
God bless!
Megan in NC

 
At 2/8/07 1:02 PM, Blogger Kimber ♥ said...

Angela, I sent you an e-mail to the e-mail address listed at the bottom of Christi's website. Hope to hear from you!

 
At 2/8/07 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe

Angela, Christi's other sock is next to her, right at the bottom of the picture on the right hand side!

=]

God bless you all!

 
At 2/8/07 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, you are just too funny about the smoking. However, having smoked for close to 25 years and now having kicked the habit for 22 years I know exactly how both sides react to this habit. Praying all goes well and that she has a speedy recovery. Also praying for you as school is approaching rapidly.
nancy

 
At 2/8/07 5:23 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

I am praying that Nee Nee's surgery went well and that she is recovering well.

I cain't imagine your pain during this difficult time. The approach of the first year anniversary must be so difficult or all of you. Please know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Much love,
Olivia

 
At 2/8/07 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers for Grandma Nee-Nee! Thinking of all of you. . the girls look so cute in their matching raincoats and umbrellas what a precious picture!

<3erin

 
At 2/8/07 9:30 PM, Blogger Sabrina_Sherick said...

you are still in my thoughts. hope all is going well with you guys. god bless.

sabrina sherick-whitmer

 
At 2/8/07 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Thomas team, we are praying for Grandma Nee Nee to pull through her surgery beautifully! It sounds like she has been in way more pain than anyone should ever experience. We believe she will be well (and a recovered smoker, :D ) soon!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/julie

 
At 4/8/07 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela,
I hope this isn't too presumptuous... I have been following Christi's story for a few years and have never commented. I live in Seattle and recently read a series of articles about a little girl named Gloria. Between your experience with Christi and your Catholic faith, I thought it might be of interest. I don't know how you feel about sharing your story, but you may be able to offer a unique comfort to the family...
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003799218_gloria21.html
Positive thoughts always,
Heidi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home