Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, October 08, 2007

Another Christi Scrapbook Page

This was the next scrapbook page in Christi's series of "Being Diagnosed with Cancer" back when she was five. I'll never forget that Sunday night either. Shayne carried her out to her car seat and stayed back with Shayla. As I approached a stoplight Christi told me to go through it. (Typically, she played the "stoplight" game at that age. It went something like red lights were -2 points, yellow lights were +1, etc. When we would arrive at our destination, she'd tell me our score.) That night, she couldn't breathe and when she told me to run the stoplight I knew she was scared and in pain. Although I tried so hard for so long not to show it, so was her mom. Although Shayne and I now differ on the very end of Christi's life and if we should have told her she was dying or not, we are both very glad we kept things upbeat and positive for this little one for so long, while we hid our own pain, heartbreak and suffering from her. She would have felt bad, as if she had caused us to be sad and I never wanted her to feel that any of our misfortunes were her fault. They were not.

10 Comments:

At 8/10/07 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Thomas Team,

Just thinking about y'all today and hoping everything is going okay. Shayla looks like she had a fun weekend!

Looking at Christi's scrapbook pages just makes it more clear about what a bright child she was and how she faced this beast with such grace. What an amazing little girl!

I'm praying for y'all. Sending many hugs your way.

--- Carlene

 
At 8/10/07 6:52 PM, Blogger Mama Bear said...

We continue to keep your family in our prayers. Hoping for continued good health and many blessing for all of you.

 
At 8/10/07 7:50 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Thank you for sharing these precious scrapbook pages of Christi's with us.

I do believe her great attitude came directly from the two of you. You hid your own pain so Christi wouldn't have to bear that burden. What an incredible gift to give to her.

Thinking of you always sweet friends!

With all my love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 8/10/07 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one should ever have to make a decision as to tell their child they are dying or not. It's something that should never have to be uttered but the grim reality is that it's a decision having to be made by far too many parents. A cure for childhood cancer must be found.

Prayers for you all!

Tracey

 
At 8/10/07 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming by to say hi....Its been so long and I am sorry!....Love you all lots!

Misty

 
At 9/10/07 2:13 AM, Blogger Leece said...

Bless her heart. Did Christi know she was dying at the end? Actually she was so smart I'm sure she worked that out for herself. Her scrap book is so lovely - didn't she write well for such a little one? Love and prayers for you all. Hope everything is ok now.

 
At 9/10/07 7:44 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

Christi's insight in to all that she went through, at such a young age, brings tears to my eyes.

I am thinking of you all.

Hugs,
Olivia

 
At 9/10/07 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parents make many difficult decisions in the last days of their children. My brother knew he was dying of lung cancer, but, in the weeks leading up to his death my parents made the decision not to tell him that his cancer had spread to his spinal cord and paralysed him from the waist down. He knew he couldn't move his legs, but never questioned it. Why kick them when they're down? I don't think you should ever doubt yourselves for not telling Christi she was dying. We, as parents, are given the opportunity to spare our children from time to time and I know that you and Shayne did the right thing.
Hugs from Missouri!

 
At 9/10/07 12:17 PM, Blogger themommytimesfour said...

Thank you so much for sharing Christi and your life with all of us. I continue to pray for The Thomas team. What a wonderful idea with the scrapbook and she did such a beautiful job. Thinking of all of you!

The Schmidt Family

 
At 9/10/07 3:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, precious Angela and Shayne. You did the very best any parent could, and as a result Christi had an amazing life despite her illness. You helped her learn and grow; supported her as she found new talents and interests; fostered friendships close to home and with people across the world; and made sure Christi stayed not just entertained, but educated and engaged. There is no better gift any parent can give their child, cancer or not.

I know I share just a tiny part of the weight you carry, and I still feel such immense sorrow that Christi's life was cut short by a horrible, beastly disease. I hope you can share in the comfort I get from knowing she was blessed with amazing parents and she lived an amazing life that impacted so many.

I'm so sorry you're enduring difficulty again right now. I know you can handle anything -- you already survived the hardest -- but I don't want you to have to! I am praying for you to have strength and wisdom and, most of all, freedom.

Love you,
Spring

 

Post a Comment

<< Home