Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

First Angel Birthday

Happy 1st Angel Birthday, Christi

Written Sunday: Events of recent days have distracted me greatly - as has a middle of the night emergency room trip we took with Shayla Saturday night (Sept. 29th) after we saw a lump in her abdomin and she was screaming in pain. Thankfully, hours later, it turned out to be a gas bubble and they found just a urinary track infection - praise God! It was horrible to relieve our fears of "cancer" with Shayla too. And the ER doc was exactly the same one in the ER with Christi that horrible night (Sept. 2002). Funny: He told us Shayla's Xrays didn't show anything; "However, I blew it and didn't see anything on Christi's either. You should call her doctor on Monday.")

Written last Thursday, the 27th:

Hopefully, the “blogger monster” (as one sweet supporter wrote about the problem) won’t eat the photos and the pictures will show up. I didn’t want any worry about my lack of posts, so I thought I’d let you know we are “ok”!! Unfortunatelly, we’ve had something huge and surprising happen yesterday, but Christi's journey reminds us of what's important in life, and what's not.

I know I should not write about all of the sweet things people have done because I will most likely accidentally overlook something, but here goes:

On Tuesday, September 18th, Christi’s “Our Little Lemonade Girl” plaque was placed at Heidelberg in front of the little tree that was dedicated to her honor in front of the Education Building at Heidelberg last year. We had anxiously been awaiting it’s arrival and when I saw a picture of it, it was the oddest feeling, but I LOVED it. Shayne couldn’t look at it for days, but he too had a gentle smile when he first saw the picture of it in place and gentle rolling tears to go along with it.

Very thoughtful donations were contributed to the Christi Thomas Memorial Fund in her honor last week. Thank you! It has been very important to us to be able to continue Christi's actions of helping others. Offering the scholarships and doing other good deeds with her fund has given us tremendous comfort.

(PHOTO: It was beautiful to see some of Christi's school friends attend the lemonade stand and have lunch. So sweet!) Heidelberg College’s Lemonade Stand, held in Christi’s memory, raised around $600 for pediatric cancer research.

Our friends' (from Philly) daughter is making her Confirmation this year. She wrote in her sweet little handwriting: Our teacher said we should choose a Saint's name and I have chosen Christi for my name. I chose Christi becuase she was an amazing igirl and it is a very pretty name. I am glad me and Christi became friends becuase I learned a lot from her. She taught people how to be kind, to help others and how to enjoy every day of your life. It will be nice to have Chrisi as a part of my name too beucase I'll think of her for my whole life. She'll be helping me from heaven all the time.

Two Seneca East friends, from Christi's class, wrote and shared how Christi influenced their lives, how she was like a sister to them and how she will forever be their friend. One wrote, "Christi was one of my friends and still is. I miss her jokes in class....Keep smiling, loving and laughing. She is watching you."

From “Hariett” (at COSI):

I wanted to let you know we had a lemonade stand here at COSI today. We called it the Christi Thomas Memorial Lemonade Stand. I didn't figure we'd make much since we're in the middle of our shutdown and not a lot of people are in the building, but we made about $160 from the team and about that much from a few Madlab friends. Here's a picture of our stand and of the awesome poster Jenn made. Several people wore yellow in support. Here's a funny story that you'd appreciate, and I'm sure gave Christi a great big giggle looking down on us. Jenn and I went to light a candle at lunch and there was a group of women sitting in the pews as we walked in. They were having some kind of meeting. So we're praying and lighting our candles and crying like idiots when the group gets up to take a tour of the church. Just as we start to sob and hug each other, this group of women decide that it would be a good time to examine something on the wall right above us. So Jenn and I start giggling to ourselves and whispering about how they're showing each other the newest addition to the cathedral: Grieving Women in Yellow. (Sadly, we learned Traci’s grandpa joined Christi in Heaven on Thurs., Sept. 20th. We know Christi is rejoicing to have another grandpa in Heaven!!)

From Tasmania: I took 10 pink balloons outside and released them in Christi's honour. Unfortunately, my camera ran out of juice before they were airborne, (Grr!), but I managed to take a few snaps of them whipping around in the wind just prior to release. I wasn't sure if it was going to be windy enough, which would have been very odd given the weather we've had recently, but as soon as I headed up the hill behind our house, a strong breeze picked up and I had to tell Christi to "slow down and be patient!" a couple of times because I almost had them yanked out of my hands before I was ready. I don't know if any will be found, but my hope is at least one person finds their way to her site as a result.

Thank you for being a constant inspiration during this past year. I have learnt more about myself through learning about Christi than I would ever have thought possible, and I'm truly thankful. I pray that you all find the strength to get through this difficult day and that the love of those both near and far continues to sustain and support you through the coming years.

From a sweet supporter (with a GREAT LAST NAME!) She stumbled upon Christi's site a year and a half ago while doing genelogy research. Amazing!
We released balloons this morning at 6 am (9 your time) for dear Christi. 9 pink and one white. I have to say I got chills. We live in the city and the only place I could think of to release them were in the park that is directly in front of our building. The tricky part is that there are many many trees most blocking the way to the sky but there is this one little gap. When I let go of the balloons they headed straight towards this one tree, which we figured might happen. At the very last minute though they did a very graceful spin and went straight up to the sky. I folded 1000 cranes for my wedding (I'm sure you are familiar with the Japanese story of Sadaku) but I saved the 919th that I folded and tied it to the balloons .

From a Sweet Friend and Supporter who also lost her brother to cancer and conducted a book drive in Christi’s memory: (She found a job and put out an email to notify many.) She wrote: “My first day will be Wednesday, September 19th, which couldn't be more apt really, for many reasons.”

From a sweet blogger:
I have followed your journey about two months before Christi's death. You were planning her service while my son was having his second brain surgery. You are a wonderful source of support. I am sending this to you after seeing orbs on pictures taken today at the horse stables. When I started to look at the pictures I noticed orbs. We have never had orbs before. I was thinking that sweet Christi was watching out for my boys as they rode the horses.

Check out this photo: The view from our patio, in Portland. Written in chalk it says, "We miss you Christi! Forever 9"

A Sweet Internet Supporter wrote:
We held a lemonade stand and a not only have we started Christi’s tradition of taking flowers to the teacher on the first day of school, but if I get to heaven before you do, I will make certain to find Christi, to tell her how much you miss her and to care for her until you get to Heaven too.

Finally, on the night of Sept. 19th, I learned that a teacher grant I worked very hard on and submitted this summer, was awarded to me from Time Warner Cable! Thanks to a sweet friend “Christi” who works at CNN Headline News (and one of Christi’s namesakes!) and to Heidelberg College’s Communication’s Department who will also be collaborating with me, my students will learn a great deal about broadcast journalism and will even be creating their own broadcasts with some new technologies and help from those who work in the profession! It brought a big smile to my face on the night of Sept. 19th and Shayne said, "I'm so glad to see you really smile about something."

I also received word that I was elected to The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi - the most selective Honor Society. They wrote, "Congratulations on your high academic success at The Ohio State University! Standards for election to Phi Kappa Phi are extremely high. Membership is by invitation only to Ohio State University's top 10 percent of all graduate students." I will be inducted at a ceremony in November. (Better get inducted before my GPA drops and they change their mind! After these three KILLER classes I'm taking this quarter, I dont' expect to still have a 3.9!! Hee hee!)

Again, I apologize for the delay in updating. When I’m able to share our latest family news, I will do so. (Can you say, “Kick me when I’m down?” No, we will make the best of things, it will turn out just fine and we really appreciate the calls of love and support we've received. As we drove to church Wednesday night two huge and gorgeous rainbows appeared over the church. It was the most amazing and beautiful thing. I told Shayne it was God and Christi letting us know that things would be ok, despite Wednesday's news. The rainbow is God's promise to us.)

12 Comments:

At 30/9/07 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Thomas Team,
I hope Shayla will feel better soon. Angela, I would like to say thank you for still update this blog and sharing your life with us.

 
At 30/9/07 2:04 PM, Blogger Leece said...

My prayers are with you, I am so sorry that something has gone wrong that you cannot talk about at this time. It's so strange, we have never met but through Christie's journey, her bravery, Shayla's bravery etc your family has found a place in my heart. I hope everything works out for you and know that all the people out here that don't 'know' you but care about you are praying for you. Love and prayers.

 
At 30/9/07 2:47 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Thinking of you sweet friends.

I hope that Shayla is feeling better today.

How scary to have to relieve that fear.

With all my love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 30/9/07 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw in your last post that something unbelieveable and shocking happened, I was kinda hoping that meant you won the lottery or a trip to Lichtenstein or something else positive. I'm sad that doesn't seem to be the case. Your family is always in my prayers, and have been even more so for Christi's Angel-versary. But, I will kick it up a notch for what you are dealing with now.

I am so, so relieved that Shayla is ok. Three cheers for false alarms! But... seriously.... did the doctor have to say that??

Sending much love,
Enya

 
At 1/10/07 4:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm praying for all of you, and am relieved to hear that Shayla is fine! Congratulations on the honor society! Hope all is well! I too saw a rainbow, it was on Thursday, right before something really great happened. I am a true believer in signs coming straight from God, and I am sure that Christi is a part of all those coming right to you! (-: *hugs*

 
At 1/10/07 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look after yourselves! Sounds like you have a huge amount of stuff on your plate... trust Shayla is feeling better.

Irene

 
At 1/10/07 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Angela and Shayne,
Remembering sweet Christi at this time. The recent journals have been very moving, so many sweet stories showing how much people care for Christi and her family.

Whatever it is that has happened to your family, I pray that things will be ok for you. I'm sad if you are having to cope with more problems, wish I could help you. God Bless you.

Take care,
Lots of love
Angela

 
At 2/10/07 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Thomas family, We have been following your site for some time now. We followed as Christi's fight had come to an end. My husband and I were filled with so much emotion over your daughter's dealth. Our daughter Tanner has also been battling cancer, Ewings Sarcoma of the skull for over four and half years. We have relocated for treatment and have had many similarities in our fight against cancer, with your family, so we felt a connection right away. We were told of Christi's site from another cancer family where we moved for treatment. We would see all the treatment Christi went through and we would have hope for new treatments for Tanner. Like Christi, Tanner tolerated all of the treatments like a warrior, always willing to face them head on. But in May, the cancer spread to her spine and we were left with very little options. Tanner continued to fight on but started to have pain and nausea like never before. We knew her time was coming close, and I would continue to see how your family was dealing with the loss, so I knew that Christi's Angel-versary was coming soon. My husband and I thought how unbelievable it would be for Tanner to pass away on the same date that Christi did. I know that I must sound CRAZY right now but like I said we felt some connection, whether it be sharing in the some of the same struggles, or fears, or the unknown. Tanner was stable on the 18th of Sept. but right after midnight on the 19th of Sept. Tanner was struggling and she passed away at 8:45 pm on the 19th of Sept. So we are now trying to figure out how to live our life with out the one life we have been trying to save for so long. I am not sure why I am sending you this information but to some way let you know that with the struggles of our little girl your little girl has also made an impact on our life, Tanner and Christ will share that date, as the day they NO LONGER have cancer! Tanner has a website, it is www.tannerville.com and she is also apart of kids cancer crusade.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to another cancer mom!

 
At 2/10/07 9:15 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

I know this has been a very difficult week and month for you all. I am so sorry to hear that you've been hit with so much on your plate at the moment.

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
Olivia

 
At 2/10/07 11:22 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

OMG please tell my you guys are ok....can't wait to hear what happen......I know you guys will be ok...you have a SUPER angel watching over you guys..... I read your blog EVERYDAY I feel like I know your family like some old friends....in my heart of hearts you guys are my friends......hang in there....please let it be nothing big...Cris

 
At 4/10/07 12:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad Shayla isn't dealing with something as serious as you first thought, but a UTI is no fun at all. I'm concerned for you about your "news." Stay in touch when you can.

Love you,
Spring

 
At 4/10/07 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still thinking of you and hurting for you. Check out the song, "wake me up when September ends" by Greenday it seems so appropriate for you as you remember Christi during this month.

Christi was special and I think of her often even though I never met her. She made me a better mom to my girls. I get reminded what's important in life whenever I remember her smiling face.

Mary S-S
Shelby Twp, MI

 

Post a Comment

<< Home