Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

OSU Buckeye Candy Recipe - Christi's favorite candy

(PHOTO: Sylvia and Michele with Christi at CHOP, May 2006)

I received the sweetest (and funniest) email from a sweet Christi supporter from Pennsylvania. Sylvia was the last person to help brush Christi's teeth and she helped Shayne give her what turned out to be her final bath and hairwashing. Days before she died, she rubbed her feet in Holy water and told Christi she was getting her feet ready to dance with the angels and to walk on the clouds. Sylvia was the angel on earth who finally found a priest in Philadelphia to come to the hospital to give Christi her last rites on September 10th - our very last night together as a family (and we later learned how difficult her death was for that priest). Once Sylvia met Shayla and I at the Allentown airport and brought us cookies - what a gem. Regardless of all that kindness in her, she (the whole family actually) is a die hard Penn State fan, so imagine my surprise to get this email from her:

My dearest Angela.............with all due respect to Oh(dot the i )O, may we have the honor of showing you what true tailgating is all about? : ) We will be at the Penn State vs Ohio game on Saturday and we would just love for you to join us..........is there any chance you can come???????? We would just love it!

What Sylvia didn't know was that days before Shayne and I were sitting "in the shoe" saying how much we would love to drive to Penn to tailgate with Sylvia and her family!! Unfortunately, my coursework load is extremely heavy right now and I cannot allow myself to take the time off from studying, but....since a sweet blogger did indeed ask me for the candy buckeye recipe this week, I thought I'd share it here. They were Christi's favorite candies and they taste almost like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, enjoy!

(PHOTO: Real buckeye in front, candy buckeyes, back)

Recipe for “BUCKEYES”

1 stick butter
1 box powdered sugar
1 1/2 c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. (12 oz.) chocolate chips
1/2 stick paraffin

Mix butter, sugar, peanut butter and vanilla. Form into small balls. Cool.
Melt chocolate and paraffin in top of double boiler. Stick a toothpick in the candy ball and dip into the chocolate mixture, leaving part of the top uncovered. It will resemble a buckeye. They can be frozen. Goooooooooo, OSU Buckeyes!!

4 Comments:

At 25/10/07 4:29 PM, Blogger Jennifer (Kids Cancer Crusade) said...

I bought a box of buckeyes the other day. As I read this blog it was instinct to reach over and grab one...or two...or three! :-) They are my favorite too!

 
At 25/10/07 5:38 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Angela, your blogs never fail to touch my heart and put life into its proper perspective. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and memories of sweet Christi with us.

I will *most* definitely be trying the buckeye recipe veeery soon!

Hugs,
Olivia

 
At 25/10/07 9:46 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Okay so just getting caught up on the last few entries since my computer has been "sick".

First off I love Buckeyes too! Yummy! :) Perhaps I'll try to make them for the game this weekend.

I think that Christi's wallet is gorgeous, just like her and I'm sure she was smiling at being able to help someone get to one of her favorite places.

I'm glad you enjoyed tailgating so much, as a life long OSU fan- born a Buckeye in our house we like to say, I LOVE tailgating and football parties and everything that goes with it. It does indeed look like you have great seats for the games lucky you!!

I'm sure that your student will miss you greatly- lucky OSU students to get you to teach them this winter. In fact I'm very jealous!!

I think of Christi all the time and remember her with love!

I love you all!

Love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 26/10/07 1:52 PM, Blogger nikki the red said...

I'm missing Christi today. It may seem silly as I never met her, but seeing her homemade wallet yesterday made me smile. I'm glad we are all still here to honor her memory!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home