Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, November 02, 2007

Go Bucks, AG Style

As we arrived home today after school, there was a package from Christi's Chemo Angel in the mailbox for Shayla. What an incredibly sweet surprise - an Ohio State outfit for her American Girl doll. (Christi's Chemo Angel is an OSU grad, very talented at sewing and the mother of boys.) Shayla was thrilled. I didn't even know she was opening it, nor dressing her doll when she ran down to show me with tremendous excitement.

While Shayla was all dressed in her OSU attire today, we received our assignments for our classrooms at the new school. (Once again I will be right next to the sixth grade, the grade Christi would have been in this year. Ugh.) We will all move into our one k-12 school at the end of December and start the new year off there. The school is absolutely lovely; however, receiving my assignment brought back those memories of the night the levy passed and we let Christi jump up and down on our bed and how we rejoiced that we'd always be in one school together and not in separate buildings. I think it may be easier for me to cope in the new school. While it will still be very hard to see Christi's classmates every day as I'm filled with sadness she's not with those great kids, it may be easier not having to walk past the classrooms she loved so much. The very old school will be demolished. .

Another very sweet (and very emotional) thing happened today at school. As I was heading back into my classroom, I noticed a locker door open of one of the sixth graders. I immediately saw Christi's picture hung up inside of that locker. It nearly brought me to tears; I thought it was the absolutely sweetest thing.

6 Comments:

At 2/11/07 5:08 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Shalya you look like the perfect Buckeye fan and so does your American Girl Doll. :)

Angela- Hope that moving into the new school, will help you cope.

Sending you all my love, and prayers,
Heather

 
At 2/11/07 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Thomas Team!
We'll be cheering the Buckeyes on with you tomorrow! As always, you're welcome to stop by the Sombreros! This week is going to be tough! I love Shayla's doll. I can't wait until Layla is old enough to have big fancy baby dolls!
I can't imagine how hard it will be for you once school starts in the new building. But, have faith that beautiful Christi has already scoped out the new school.

Be well,
Laura Hickman
(lamibe@aol.com)

 
At 3/11/07 8:04 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

Shayla, that picture of you absolutely MADE MY DAY. You are simply more beautiful every day. I hope you're having a great weekend!

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Much love & many hugs,
Olivia

 
At 3/11/07 9:00 PM, Blogger Nikking said...

I can understand the confusing feelings you may have about this new school building. As it may be easier to not have to walk past those very classrooms she loved so much, part of you feels like you are parting with memories (and the like) of her in the old building. I believe I would feel the same way. This is just another bittersweet change.... And, if you are anything like me, I am not fond of bittersweet changes. Especially in situations like this. Angela, I send my hugs from New Jersey to you in Ohio. You are one courageous woman, with one extremely strong family.

Shayla looks adorable and so does her American Doll. THAT IS TOO CUTE!

And, PS, thanks for continuing to write on this blog after all of this time. I really enjoy reading it! :-)

 
At 3/11/07 9:58 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

How sweet of Chrisit's chemo angel to think of Shayla.I am sure it made her day and yours as well. God bless an dtake care!

 
At 5/11/07 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am assuming the old school must have some brick in it. Perhaps you could get a couple of the bricks and make them into book ends, especially since Christi had such a love for learning. You could even get her name and grade etched onto them if they came out of a particular classroom or the library. Anyway, just a thought...it's a way to preserve the past (both the school itself and the time Christi spent there) and tie it to someone who meant the world to you as a reminder of this remarkable girl. Just a thought. I truly enjoy reading your blog - have a blessed day!
Katie in MI

 

Post a Comment

<< Home