Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas

I need to aplogize for not sending Christmas cards again this year. I really feel bad about that; however, I've already started setting up my database so that next year I can get back into the swing of things! Please accept our thanks and gratitude for all of the lovely cards, photos and letters we received. We really enjoy receiving them and next year will be back on the giving end - I promise!

Shayla prepares to put the carrots out for Santa's reindeer. This reminds me of one of my treasured photos of Christi doing the same thing, in the same spot, 2001 - age 4.

Shayla brought us great joy last night. After we sat for a very long time putting together a lovely 750 piece horse puzzle (a Christmas gift from the Grants) Shayla went off to play a few Christmas carols. She has no idea how sweet that was - and oh so reminiscent of what her big sister used to do! Throughout the day yesterday we followed the "Santa Tracker" watching the video clips, reading the updates, and then tracing Santa's journey on Shayne's globe. It was a lot of fun! Before we went to bed I reminded Shayla that this was our first Christmas at home without Christi and that she's never seen our tree with presents for just one girl before so it might not look like much without Christi's presents under the tree too. She said she understood that. I wrapped things in large boxes and arranged the gifts out away from the tree a bit so that it would look like a lot and I think she was very pleased, according to her many squeals of delight this morning!

When Shayla selected her jammies last night, I'm certain she had no idea she picked the same exact pair Christi wore for her last Christmas, when she was also 8 years old! I didn't realize it until I went back to look at the 2005 photos just a moment ago, wild!! It's been great having Grandma Nee Nee here and soon Aunt Marty & Uncle Jeff will arrive for lunch. Shayne has been "down" this morning, but of course I know why and that's ok! Although I'm missing Christi terribly this holiday season, I keep reminding myself how blessed I am to have one very special child with us! I know of others who have had their only child depart. Our thoughts are with them, with military families, and others separated from their loved ones!

(PHOTO 2007: Shayla, age 8, models the fancy, pink slippers Grandma Nee Nee gave her.)
(PHOTO: 2005, Christi, age 8, modeling her new slippers. They came in very handy that winter at CHOP!!)

Can you say "Blue & Sparkley?!!" Shayla is signed up for six ice skating lessons, at an indoor rec center, beginning in January. Thanks so much to a very special blogger she will have this amazing outfit to wear.

12 Comments:

At 25/12/07 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla you look so beautiful. :)

Merry Chrismas.

Shayla I can't believe how long your hair has grown! (It is longer than Christi's ever was...)

 
At 25/12/07 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does Shayla know that last Christmas, she also wore a pair of Christi's Christmas pj's? It's almost as if it is a tradition already. Hehe.

Merry Christmas! I'm glad shayla got her blue and sparkley dress. How cute!

-Micaela

 
At 25/12/07 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to ask: are you seeing the orbs in your photos? There is a very prominent one to the right of Shayne's head (his right, left in the photo)as he stands next to Shayla, carrot in her hand.

By the way, you will have to fend off lots of suitors as Shayla grows up! Get ready! She is absolutely gorgeous!

Kam.

 
At 25/12/07 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, Thomas Team, there are two more orbs in the photo of Christi, displaying her newest slippers. There are other orbs all over photos of Christi, too. The Angels surely know that you, too, are Angels in disguise.

Kam.

 
At 26/12/07 9:44 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Thinking of you all!

It sounds and looks like Shayla had a wonderful Christmas - and I'm so glad. I'm sure you and Shayne missed Christi horribly, you ar very brave to stay at home for Shayla!

Lots of love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 26/12/07 1:08 PM, Blogger Carrigan Family said...

You all are amazing ... that's all I can say!! Think of you and you continue to be in my prayers.

 
At 26/12/07 1:10 PM, Blogger Carrigan Family said...

One more thing ... Shayla - I love you blue ice skating outfit!! My Addie would love it as well - she is 9 - but more like 5:). She loves sparkly things - especially jewelry. We leave carrots for the reindeers too - 12 to be exact - Ryan counted them out for us - ha!

 
At 26/12/07 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE LOVE AND MISS YOU SO VERY MUCH CHRISTI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 26/12/07 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot believe how much Shayla is growing up! Her hair is so long and pretty. My thoughts and prayers have been with your lovely family this Holiday season and every day!

-Nicole
Atlanta, GA

 
At 27/12/07 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the outfit! She looks like a ice skating queen! I am so glad you were able to find something!!

It sounds like your family made it through Christmas okay. What you wrote about Shayne being "down" made me extra sad. I don't know why it touches me so when a man shows emotions or sadness. Just the other day the Josh Groban song that was played at my daughter's funeral (To where you are) came on and time stopped. Michael found me in the kitchen and just held me while he cried.

Shayla is a true blessing...she seems like such a sweet angel. Let us all know how the ice skating lessons go! :)

Have a blessed New Year!
Rachael J.

 
At 27/12/07 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that any day without Christi is hard but specials days without her must be especially traumatic. Just to let you know that you all were in the thoughts and prayers of our family over Christmas. God Bless you all. May 2008 be a year of great health, happiness and smiles for the Thomas Team. With a hug all the way from Australia....Michelle

 
At 25/1/08 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Shayla's hair has gotten long... is she donating it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home