Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

She Made It

It wouldn't be the truth if I didn't say I had my doubts! It seemed it was going against all odds, given her own health issues, but that amazing Olivia ran the entire race and raised over $1,000! It's hard to see, but on the bottom of her race number, she wrote "For Christi". God bless sweet Olivia! We are so very proud of her and so grateful!

In honor of Christi, I am going to be running a 10K in NYC. All funds will be donated to the Christi Thomas Memorial Fund and the Kids Cancer Crusade. The organizations were established in honor of Christi and her love of learning, of the arts and of helping those most in need.

Olivia said: The 10K was great! It was a great experience, and while I was one of the more errr.....unfit (cough), of the crowd, I did not come in last! (Shocking, I know!) When I crossed the finished time and looked back at the clock, it said 1:19:09, which I thought was a very appropriate number given the inspiration.

I always look for "signs", I suppose they are somewhat like the orbs of life. The first one hit me as my mom and I were driving up to the run entrance. The run started at Central Park's East 102 Street entrance which most likely means nothing to anyone except that it is across the street from Mount Sinai, where my brother treated for 18 months. As we were looking for parking, which was surprisingly hard to find on a Sunday morning, my mom turned onto a nearby side street and said "Maybe we'll find something here, I used to always find parking here when we were here with Manny". And if you guessed that it took us a second to find parking there, you're right!

I would lie if I said the run was easy; it wasn't, but I did run the entire thing without stopping which made me very happy. At the half way mark, I passed the park where we had the Kids Walk for Kids event last May 12th (Christi's birthday). And then towards the end, as I was running up one of many hills, and considering the possibility of taking a little rest and walking some, I saw a bronze statue of a *cat*. Well, that did it. If I had needed any additional motivation, I didn't any more. It was a really great day, full of all of the little signs and signals that helped me remember why I was there in the first place.


I have to laugh at this picture of the girls with Paw Paw. Christi went through a short phase where she squeezed her eyes shut everytime she smiled for a pic. What a hoot! These are some of the photos I recently found and scanned at my mom's house.
Open your eyes, Christi! We want to see those pretty blue eyes, goofy!

SPECIAL PRAYER REQUEST: After school on Monday, I received a phone call which started out, "You don't know me, but I met you at Kings Island a few years ago while waiting in a food line. I followed Christi's website and had to introduce myself." Actually, I remembered her. (Perhaps only because my teenage niece asked me who it was I talked to and when I explained that she muttered, "Internet Stalker" and I laughed so hard!) This sweet mother told me she called because her 12 year old daughter died on Thursday and they buried her on Saturday. Tears came flying out of no where and I had to sit down as my heart went out to this mother. I really wish she would not have apologized for calling me and I truly hope I was able to help her and that she calls me again. I am so grateful she called and if she happens to be reading this, please know I didn't hang up on you, but my phone battery died. Please call back any time - day or night!! I ask for prayers for this family dealing with the unthinkable.

GOOD NEWS: I must share my great news! All three of my autumn quarter professors have now posted my grades and I'm thrilled to report I received all As in my classes I took. Whew!

5 Comments:

At 12/12/07 6:05 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Angela, you are too, too kind. Thank you so much! I had a great time on the run. To be honest, I didn't think I'd make it either! I am so glad I could contribute something to this amazing cause. Christi's spirit lives on in so very many.

My thoughts are with the young mother who has lost her daughter.

Much love to you all. I am so glad you were able to go to Chicago and have such a nice time. It's one of my favorite cities!

hugs,
Olivia

 
At 12/12/07 8:30 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your internet friends daughther. My heart goes out to them as well and they wil be in my prayers.

CONGRATS on the all A's ANGELA you ROCK my sweet an amazing friend.

And congrats to Olivia too for finishing that 10K! How awesome!!

Lots of love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 12/12/07 9:41 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Angela-

Congrats, on all yoru A's! That is wonderful. I have my last exam of nursing school tomorrow. Send me some of your brain cells as I sure could use the help.
I have to sit and think that there are reasons for everything. I said a little prayer to my cousins little boy Tyler (who past away a month after Christi, to the day from NB) to help me get my oncology job and I also said one to Christi. I ended up getting it after all. Tomorrow I will say another prayer to both them. Maybe they can put in a good word for me to the man upstairs, for a high passing grade. I look at both Tyler's and Christi's pics often and say, "these poor kids literally went through hell on earth.....I can do at least this". Just wanted you to know, Christi is still at work here on earth. It continues through people like myself. Thanks!

Kimberly

 
At 14/12/07 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading about Olivia's experience- what a very sweet and special person!

Congratulations, Angela on your straight-As! It's a great feeling to not just do something, but to do it (very) well!

Michelle Stokes
Wylie, TX
nghs_teach@yahoo.com

P.S. I will certainly honor your prayer request.

 
At 15/12/07 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will pray.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home