Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Our Sleeping Beauty

Thanksgiving was ok; it was wonderful of course to be with family, but it was also a holiday without Christi. I just can't shake that! I know how much I have to be thankful for – and I truly am!!! I reminded myself of the families who said goodbye to their child on Thanksgiving, the ones in the Ronald McDonald Houses, the ones without loved ones at all. Why must I want Christi to be here with us too? Why do I miss that little giggle when I know she IS in a better place? To get through the day, I told myself it was just a family get together, not a special holiday where we really think hard about past Thanksgivings with Christi, our little sleeping beauty, who will never awaken. (Photo: September 2006)

Aunt Tina made tons of great foods! Yummy!! Out of all of the photos, this is the only one in which an "orb" appeared. I tell myself it's Christi going through the buffet line scooping up Aunt Tina's great cooking!

The "evening crash" - or couch pile on. How did innocent Grandma and Grandpa attract that many to join them on the couch?! The couch really doesn't hold SIX, but that didn't stop anyone from joining in. What a hoot!

As I sat with my family, working on my dissertation and listening to the evening news, a clip of what families were thankful for came on the television. I couldn’t help but recall Christi’s final Thanksgiving (2005, age 8) where a TV news crew out of Toledo came to our Thanksgiving and covered our story about how thankful we were to have her still with us. Then, all too soon, she went on that irreversible voyage through a long tunnel. I can’t see the exit but I know there must be one. She couldn’t come back, only continued going forward step by step, to the end. Happy Thanksgiving, precious Christi! We miss you to pieces! Aunt Tina, one of your Godmothers, set out a picture of our final family Thanksgiving together. It was so sweet! I looked at it so many times. You were so happy, playing with your cousins and giving your “television interview” that day! I hope God’s pumpkin pie was the most delicious you ever had!

Shayla’s “Honor to Christi”: Shayla and I noticed on Christi’s Thanksgiving food plate was just a teeny-weeny bit of grandma’s cranberry jello salad, like she was trying it to see if she’d like it. (It really is delicious.) Shayla put some of it on her plate and then told me, “That’s in honor of Christi!” I loved it! Thank you, Shayla – you are really a sweetie!

Will and Shayla got to "break the wishbone" Thursday evening. It of course reminded me of Christi and Shayla doing that.
I asked Shayla if she remembered trying to break the wish bone with Christi and she said she didn't, but of course she piped in immediately with, "Who won?" Sisters!!!


Swiffer Update: Bunny was doing about the same, improved from the vet's office, but not out of the water by any means. This morning he's taken a step backwards. Shayla gave him his medicine and cleaned his nose, but he continues to gasp for breaths. I must now believe the vet is right and that this "cold" will be deadly. Shayla's sad, but when I cry she reminds me of how old he is (We took him in a "rescue" situation 3 1/2 years ago) and that he's lived a good life. She's doing a phenomenal job of providing tender loving care. (PIC: July 2008 - at a 4H meeting learniing how to show her bunny for the fair judging)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 29/11/08 12:38 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I consulted my super-knowledgeable bunny friends (I volunteer at a rabbit rescue) and here are their suggestions for making Swiffer's breathing easier: a humidifier with peppermint oil in the water placed near the cage, regular exercise, even if Swiffer doesn't really want to (it will help clear his lungs), add probiotic to his water or food (my bun uses BeneBac, and I found it at PetCo), sweet hay and fresh herbs, and lots of love. They also say to be sure that he doesn't miss a dose of his antibiotics, as they offer the best chance of helping him recover, or at least making him more comfortable.

Be sure everyone washes their hands well after handling Swiffer, especially if you'll be around any other bunnies.

At the rescue, we have a big bunny who has been fighting off pneumonia for months now, poor thing. I'll keep Swiffer and Shayla in my prayers.

 
At 29/11/08 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that Swiffer isn't doing well after all. I'm sure Shayla's tender loving care of her bunny is making his final days better than she could imagine. Sending big hugs {{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}

 
At 30/11/08 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela , what a beautiful sleepinng beauty you have ! I'm certain that god's pumpkin pie was the best that Christi has ever tasted - Christi left behind a legacy which will never be forgotten , Shayla is the sweetest little girl i know !!!you are so lucky to have her and yet so unlucky to not have christi sitting by your side holding your hand! - Angela so who did win breaking the wishbone christi or shayla!???! Glad to hear that swiffer is "ok" - I hope that god and christi won't call swiffer home just yet ! - Love you all Amber xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home