Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, December 01, 2008

RIP Sweet Swiffer

Swiffer was really struggling to breathe last night. Shayla cried many times as she talked to him and told him goodbye. When I woke at four and went to the kitchen to check on him, he was on his side barely breathing and I figured he'd be gone by morning. Much to my shock (and disappointment because I just wanted Shayla to think he gently died in his sleep, not that he was still struggling trying to breath) he was still alive at 6:30. Shayla ate her breakfast in tears and again said goodbye to him. He really could not have lived much longer. As Shayla was upstairs getting ready for school, Shayne and I sat at the kitchen table and talked about how Swiffer and Chrsiti had so much in common. Their little bodies were so strong, hearts still beating long after they should have stopped. It was really "freaky" how similiar their deaths were.

Tonight when we came home his lifeless little body was left. (He was a dwarf rabbit, very small - so cute.) Shayla thought the box her wii came in would be a good coffin and Shayne told her to take her time, when she was ready he would go out in the backyard (Brrrrr) and bury him. Shayla asked if he could be buried right beside Mia, so he was. Rest in peace, sweet little bunny!I'm certain Christi was there to greet his soul. Shayla keeps saying she's probably got him on his leash and is walking him around the clouds showing him off to all her angel friends. Perhaps she's right!

Shayla with her bunny at the rabbit judging (4H, Fair, July 2008, age 9)
Shayla asked to have a picture taken with all four of her animals. Sadly, the guinea pig died in August and Swiffer this morning. Christi's two cats (Buttercup and Buckeye) are still doing great! Whew! March 2007 (age 8)
This is the day Shayla received her bunny, a rescue rabbit from a family that needed to get rid of him. They named him Cinderella. Christi renamed him Swiffer, but we usually just called him "Bunny". May 2005 (age 6) We never knew how old Bunny was, but Shayla is convinced he lived longer than most bunnies.

6 Comments:

At 2/12/08 8:31 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Dearest Shayla,

I am so sorry about the loss of your Bunny sweetheart. I know you gave him lots of love and care and he couldn't have been more loved than he was by you.

Sending you much love and many (((HUGS))).

With Love and Prayers,
Heather

 
At 2/12/08 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww Shayla, may Swiffer rest in peace! I'm sure Christi is glad that you sent him to her to play with.

We used to have a white bunny with pink eyes. I set him outside in his cage on a warm July day. I guess the heat got to be too much and he passed away from a heat stroke. My daughter still blames me to this day!

Wendy Landers
Concord, Georgia

 
At 3/12/08 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shayla,

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Swiffer. You're right though, he did live a very long time indeed! I'm so glad that you had him for so long and that now you can be happy thinking how he is with Christi in heaven.

 
At 3/12/08 4:33 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I'm so sorry Shayla! He's having a great time with Christi now for sure!

 
At 10/12/08 12:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Shayla I am so sorry for the loss of your BEAUTIFUL bunny!! You did everything you could to make sure he was comfortable. I have lost many guinea pigs, some birds and a dog so i know how you are feeling.
You did such a good job taking care of him!

Staci C.
Ham. NJ

 
At 23/8/09 11:22 PM, Blogger Cybil Radha Bennett said...

I know many months have past since the death of your beautiful Bunny friend. I know you loved him very much. As I know you will always love him and miss him. I had a bunny friend myself for a while. But sadly he didn't make it. I couldn't bare the though of burying him in the back yard. I knew I would be moving from away in a few years. So I had my dear friend cremated. I did this with my rat too. I plan on doing this with all my animals. I know it may sound strange and kinda creepy but I have their ashes in beautiful vases in my new apartment. They brought me so much joy in my life it wouldn't be the same with out having them with me. I hope time has eased the pain of the loss of both your babies in such a short time span. Remember that Mia and Swiffer are together again and are waiting for you with Christi on the other side. If you google "Rainbow Bridge" it's a beautiful site with a wonderful poem on the loss of a pet. Take care hon
~Cybil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home