Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, January 02, 2009

The Party's Over

Unfortunately, the week has ended and the time has come to head back home and to get back to work. (And to see what we can do to help Grandma Nee Nee. We received a phone call as we walked to the Rose Bowl parade yesterday that she fell and broke her hip and was taken to a larger hospital, an hour and a half from home. Today she had surgery and she is currently in recovery. We've said countless prayers for her over the past two days. It was just a month ago that she went to her final check up for breaking her leg in July of 2007. Ergh! Poor sweet Nee Nee!)

We spent our final day in Southern California at the Getty. We enjoyed a few tours of the amazing art museum, Shayla sketched and we talked about taking the girls there in 2001. Shayla had many questions about what they did and we were surprised at how much we remembered. (I'm also certain I have pictures of that day in July 2001 at home.) I'm glad Christi was able to go then, as a four year old, and I actually felt like she was with us today.

This has been a "unique" city to be in for three reasons. One of the many doctors Shayne consulted for Christi's treatment over her four years of it, was with Dr. Reynolds, from Los Angeles. It was this city, where we took the girls on vacation in July of 2001 and we have fond memories. (Shayne's dad flew in and it was wonderful to all be together, little did we know a year later our lives would forever be changed.) And finally, this is where, shortly after our princess's death, Christi's cells that were extracted were shipped off (to CHLA - Children's Hospital of Los Angeles) to try to grow as Dr. Maris felt they had a better chance of success here in LA. Thankfully, against the odds, they did grow and we have been told they are a highly requested sample of cells that researchers run tests on. May one day soon they help to find a cure so that families all over the world will never know what it's like to have a child killed by neuroblastoma.

Sandra - your post made us laugh. How could you live here and not partake in the amazing Rose Bowl festivities?! (Seriously, we understand. It's one thing to have time to vacation and another thing to live and work here. Thanks so much for your post too!) This get away was amazing for us, but it's now time to go back to the cold weather and to get back to work.

I feel a bit "under the gun" right now too. Two of my literacy professors at OSU are co-authoring another book on literature and I was asked, just before break, to submit some work (a classroom vignette type of piece) to be published in their book. They've approved the teaching strategies I want to share and the books I want to feature, but I really thought it would all come together and "hit me" while on vacation and I'd just write it up. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and I keep shaking my head wondering how I'm going to put it all together, as they want to take a look into a teacher's classroom and I need write it in a high quality manner for their book. It's like I know what I want to explain, but I can't get it in words yet.

And then of course there is that "ordering of Christi's grave plaque" I keep putting off. Even though I'm dreading it and I promised myself it'd be ordered by the end of 2008 at the very least, it really must be taken care of soon! She deserves better, I just keep breaking down and crying. It was so much fun to select her birth announcements, but quite frankly, just thinking about this stinks!

Have a wonderful week!

9 Comments:

At 3/1/09 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have enjoyed reliving the Rose Bowl parade events through your eyes. We have been there several times as we traveled with the U. of Michigan team and often found that people there for the parade had no idea there was a football game too! We have sat right in front of the HGTV booth so think it was across the street from your location. So glad you got to see floats "in the making" too and that you had a pretty day for the parade.
Continue to follow your family events and appreciate as you share joys and tearful moments with us.
Alyce Ann

 
At 3/1/09 3:19 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

haha, now the funny thing is I DID go to the places where the floats were built and helped decorate them a few times, and nearly every year we would see the floats make their way down our smaller streets the night before going from the building location to the front of the parade, so it was like a nightime mini parade. Another cool thing is my dad and uncle use to work for Fiesta Floats and helped fabricate the floats from conception all the way until driving them down the parade. So even though I wasn't really into the whole "camping out, chaotic, freezing" thing, I did get some need experiences growing up! Someday I plan on taking my own 9 year old to help with the floats too!

 
At 3/1/09 10:55 AM, Blogger Marlo said...

Okay. Maybe we can encourage each other and spur one another on to order our daughters plaques. As long as you haven't done it, I have given myself grace to avoid it as well. I did go once to look, but then the cemetery said what I had picked out was too big for the plot---Uggh! I haven't found the gumption to try again.

 
At 3/1/09 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes that which we dread the MOST ends up not being so bad. Of course, I am sure that doesn't apply to ordering your childs grave plaque :( But I am having wishful thinking of this Angela, for you. When the time is right, you'll know it and you'll get it done.
I'm glad you're back from CA safe and sound and that the vacation was wonderful. We so enjoyed seeing the photos and festivities you partake in!

 
At 3/1/09 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to the Thomas Team !!!!! Angela , your family is so beautiful ! - poor grandma Nee Nee x I pray that she will have a speedy recovery ! You guys look like you had an awesome time in southern california , Shayla please stop growing !lol x Christi still manages to be amazing - she continues to help find the needed cure for neuroblastoma through her cells even though she is in heaven ! - How impressive , well done to the wonderful Christi xxx Neuroblastoma NEEDS a cure and it has to be found quickly , my dear friend Justine lost her little girl at the age of 3 to nb stage IV aswell and the pain that she feels each day is unbearable to even watch! Angela It must be so hard to even think about ordering christi's grave plaque so I can totally understand why you have not yet done that - Christi does certainly deserve the very best and so do you after everything you've been put through and continue to be put through! - I'm sure that your reward in heaven will be huge x I hope that 2009 will bring lots of hapiness to you all - Lots of Love and Prayers Amber xxxxxx

 
At 3/1/09 5:23 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Looks like a great day at the Getty! I have never been to California, I must do that sometime, it looks wonderful. Perhaps Shayla can share some tips with me.

I will be praying for Nee Nee poor thing!

Good luck with your writing of the article, I know it will be great!

With Love,
Heather

 
At 3/1/09 6:47 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

omg god love grandma nee nee....hope she gets better soon

 
At 3/1/09 10:51 PM, Blogger Sheila Ferrell said...

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to have to order a plaque for my child's grave. Not that I am in a position to give my opinion on such a thing but maybe look at it as telling any one that may read her plaque how wonderful she is. She is one to honor with something so beautiful even though I do not think there is anything on this earth worthy enough to symbolize her life. She is Christi Thomas and in her short 9 years of life on this earth she was loved so intensely and loved everyone twice as much. She is beautiful, courageous, compassionate, etc.
100 years from now when we have all reunited with our loved ones, someone would read her plaque and know how special she is.
My all time favorite picture of Christi is the one that she is dancing as though no one was watching. I saw her sweet soul in that picture.
I will continue to pray for you all as you prepare yourself to find the "perfect" plaque.

 
At 4/1/09 9:22 PM, Blogger ktrierson said...

I am glad to hear that Christi's cells grew! She is helping find a cure for other NB fighters from heaven. Well done Christi!

Just curious, was the cell line named FU NB 2006?

I will keep Nee Nee in my prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home