Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, August 03, 2009

Crossing Over to the Dark Side

PIC: Skeeter getting his "go fast" clothes on (boots to protect his legs and a breast plate to keep his saddle on) On Sunday we discussed with Shayla the possibility of her entering a contesting (speed) class or two. She decided she wanted to try it and she selected to enter barrels and flags, two items she had practiced once at "Lane of Dreams". She said she would just trot them and canter at the end. A sweet older girl from Shayla's 4H club worked with her to learn the patterns so she wouldn't be disqualified, she borrowed a Western shirt and she LOVED "racing". As soon as she was finished and out of the arena she looked down and said to me, "That was even more fun than I thought it would be! Skeeter was saying, 'Go!' and I was saying, 'Whoa!' and trying to hold him back. He wanted to run!" It was precious. After flags she asked if she could add a third event and try contesting one more time; we agreed so she entered "down and back". Of course she was the slowest rider in all three divisions, but we were so proud of her for trying it. She said, "Imagine how fast we'll be next year now that we both know we like it." What a hoot! I like her attitude! She's fun! And Skeeter's a solid, well-rounded, well-trained horse.


After a sad "goodbye" to Skeeter because our lease on him has now ended, Shay Shay came home and watched her contesting video clips. After she watched them she said, "Hmmm. They don't look like I was going that fast, but when I was riding it felt like we were racing fast." I think Skeeter was very happy to be out of the fair where so many people were going by his stall and trying to touch him. Once back home in the barn, Shayla said her goodbyes and turned him loose. He danced and rolled around in the dirt and then ran out to the pasture. He must have had enough of staying clean all week. We thought it felt really good to be back home too. I hope you enjoy the video clip.


During the fair week we received the nicest compliment we ever could have received. A parent told us she informed her young daughter to model her behavior after Shayla's because Shayla is always polite, only saying nice things and not all the 4H kids are like that. (Oh, if only she could have witnessed a Christi and Shayla argument. I used to hate those when they'd break out, but I'd give anything for the girls to have a good "fight" if only I could get Christi back to hear them bicker! They were both strong willed at times and wouldn't back down. Shayla's really got a super sweet side to her that I have to laugh when I think back to the "sister fights" because I cannot imagine Shayla doing that now, but if Christi were alive - I'm sure she would partake when pushed! I miss you Christi! I even miss those arguments when I'd tell you two to stop fighting because God was watching!)

3 Comments:

At 3/8/09 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shayla -

You are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. My brothers did horses as their 4-H projects (I was too old by then) and they use to do the barrels! It was such fun to watch them - although I think I was truly glad to be "watching" rather than racing around those barrels.

I hope the rest of your summer is happy and filled with fun.

Hugs
Shayne

 
At 4/8/09 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed seeing this video! I am amazed at Shayla, and especially in how fast she was going!!! Tell her I think she was going VERY fast! I can't wait to see how she does NEXT year! I am sure she and Skeeter will miss each other, but what excitement she has to look forward to next year!

 
At 5/8/09 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla,

You are truly experiencing an amazing summer. How your mom and dad manage to keep pace with you is beyond me.

Sure hope you are jounaling all these happenings - it's a great way to remember - just ask your mom:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home