Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Shay to Campus

Shay spent her first day of spring break by getting up early and going to work with me. Actually, she taught my classes and my students learned a lot from her. She did an amazing job! As a fifth grader, I NEVER would have been able to stand up in front of college students and present book talks, tell what good and bad teachers are like, read a poem "written by a middle school girl" and answer many questions about "life as a fifth grader". When she told one of my classes she'd rather go to BGSU than Harvard, they applauded. I was shocked. She also told them she would like to be a writer and an actress. They suggested she could do both - write her own plays and scripts and then star in them. She was surprised my students didn't know about "Just Dance" - a wii game she received last week for getting straight As on her grade card. When they asked her if her mom played "Just Dance" she said yes and they suggested she video me and have me share that video clip. (About once a week I share a video clip of Shayla featuring a reading concept we are studying in class.) Trust me, they will NOT see my playing the wii dance game, but that would be a hoot!

After classes, we enjoyed lunch at the "Bowl N Greenery". While I did some student advising this afternoon, Shayla curled up in a chair in my office and played her DSi. She must have thanked me ten times for letting her come to BG with me. What an amazing flip from her thoughts about BGSU one year ago - the afternoon she sat on the couch and cried her eyes out knowing she'd have to leave her school and start at a new one. What a fabulous year it's been for us all. Thank you, dear Lord!

PLEASE JOIN US ON WEDNESDAY, MARCH 31st at TIFFIN UNIVERSITY - home of the Dragons, for the Christi Thomas Annual Egg Hunt. It will begin at 3:30 pm. Bring your little ones and bring their Easter baskets!

Video Clip of Shayla reading a poem written by Brod Bagert

7 Comments:

At 29/3/10 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job Shayla!!!

 
At 29/3/10 9:01 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Shayla is so amazing!

Hugs,
Olivia

PS- Angela, I've never played the wii dance game. Though my previous experience with wii games would suggest I wold be HORRIBLE at it...

 
At 30/3/10 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla is a star, what a wonderful reading of the poem! What a great poem too! There is no way I would have got up in front of college students as a 5th grader either, so Shay you are really brave.

Happy Easter Thomas Team! x

 
At 30/3/10 4:07 AM, Blogger Amy K said...

Shayla, you are one brave and very gifted young lady! How nice that you got to spend the day with your Mom on campus. Have a wonderful spring break!

The K-Krew from WI

 
At 31/3/10 11:44 AM, Anonymous Jewls said...

Great song - moving lyrics. Reminded me of your angel. Perhaps inspiration for her marker?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koRUgTNJdLs&feature=related

I was here - Lady Antebellum

 
At 31/3/10 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you've noticed or if it's on purpose, but for some reason posts from the first half of many months are missing. I'm pretty sure that there were posts during those time.

Just a heads up!

 
At 2/1/12 5:50 AM, Anonymous Sandra said...

Shay is really done an amazing job there! She is confident and very talented in discussing her topics. I hope she could reach her goal someday. She really deserve a lot. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home