Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Allergic Reaction / Lesson Learned

Oh, I see Shayne has just posted an update. Well, since I already typed this, here goes:

So much for my flight to Philly. When I went to check in I learned that the airlines cancelled my return reservation. Since I learned such a valuable lesson, I feel indebted to share my experience so that there may be learning from my mistake.

When I flew home on the 27th, I had a 5 ½ hour lay over in Detroit before the 1 ½ hour flight to Columbus. Because both airports involve two hour drives, it seemed foolish to hang out for seven hours so I asked my friend to pick me up in Detroit. Well, much to my surprise, that cancelled the rest of my reservation. They wouldn't reinstate it, but told me I could purchase another ticket. Needless to say, I'm still in Ohio. Shayla was pleasantly surprised to see me return home last night.

I wish I could say that Christi was feeling better, but that's not the case. She's miserable. Her counts today were very similar to yesterday's counts and she spiked a fever again last night. The doctor believes that she may have a fungal infection brewing. Your prayers are welcomed. Furthermore, I can feel the tremendous frustration brewing in my dear husband. I know exactly the helplessness he feels in addition to experiencing what a caged animal must feel. I'm grateful Shayne's sister is with them at least.

When I spoke with Shayne moments ago, I learned she had just had a reaction to one of the anti-fungal meds they put through her IV. YIKEs! Her pulse ox went down to 65 and her heartrate up to 165. She shook hard and cried with pain, terrifying to Shayne. That was soooooooo scary! I understand they've just given her Demerol and now she's sleeping. Shayne said he will call me in about 15 minutes to update me. I cannot believe I am 500 miles away.

3 Comments:

At 5/4/06 4:08 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

That really stinks about your flight. I can only imagine how much you want to be with sweet Christi, especially now after that scare. I pray you can get out there soon and that Christi bounces right back after that reaction.

Love & Prayers,
Jennifer

 
At 5/4/06 6:06 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Golly! Talk about a roller coaster ride. I'm hoping that Christi has been moved to the oncology floor at least. She is so lucky to have such special parents advocating for her. Be assured of continued prayers and I will send the update to our prayer chain right away. We'll continue to storm heaven. love, sylvia

 
At 5/4/06 8:39 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Oh my dear Angela,

I'm so sorry about the flight that stinks. And also the reaction to the antifungal medication how horribly scary for all involved.

I'll be praying hard for her to get feeling better soon. Poor baby!

Praying too for your friends- this disease is evil, pure and simply evil!

I love you all dearly!!

Take good care!

With love, prayers and some tears too,

Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home