Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Long Transfusion Day

Blood counts yesterday were:
10.8 hgb. (low)
11.5 white (incredibly high, gooooooooo baby stem cells!)
ANC 6,130 (normal)
24 platelets (low)

Shayne and I had decided to have Christi’s platelet transfusion conducted early Friday morning, prior to the lemonade stand; however, when she changed into her PJs last night and I saw a huge bruise, complete with swelling, I knew we had to get it done right away today; it appeared to be internal bleeding. At 7:25AM I put in the first call to get the transfusion going and thankfully my second call to CHOP put the awesome Pat Brophy to work on it. I was completely and pleasantly shocked when I called the local hospital at 10:30AM to check on things to find out that the platelets had already arrived from Toledo and they were ready to go! I didn’t pack much in the way of entertainment as I told the girls, “It’s only platelets, we’ll be in and out in just over two hours.”

“You’ve learned an important lesson,” Christi told me when we learned that I didn’t have them draw a type and screen yesterday and therefore they had to do one before releasing the platelets to Christi this morning. Sooooooooooo, after many hours of just sitting in the hospital attached to an IV pole, she got her transfusion. (You can tell from the picture, she really needed it! With all of those nasty bruises, a knock on our door from Children's Services wouldn't surprise me!) As soon as we were finished we went to the library, where we did miss the afternoon Magic Show, but were still able to check out some great books. Christi has been asking to go to the library each day that we've been home.

I know I’m bias, but the girls both did a fabulous job at their on stage practice tonight at the theatre in preparation for the big weekend recital. It’s hard to believe that Christi only attended three dance class practices since December, but you’d never know that to watch her. Thankfully, she catches on quickly and thankfully her great teachers taught a lot of the routine prior to Christmas. Christi’s jazz class is dancing to “I Just Can’t Wait to be King,” from "The Lion King" and I almost burst out laughing when the song talks about “the king” having so little hair (like Christi!) and I wiped away many tears as she danced both the ballet and jazz routines six times tonight in practice. (“Beauty and the Beast” is the ballet song.) In late January, with her cancer rapidly progressing right before our very eyes, I didn’t think she’d even be alive by the summer recital, must less dancing in it just like the other girls! Praise be to God! This is nothing shy of a miracle!

Tonight we said a very sad goodbye to the wonderful Aunt Vaunie (Shayne's sweet sister). She needs to get back to Phoenix where they're having their Alex & Christi's lemonade stand on Saturday and Sunday. (THANK YOU!) She has been a Godsend and we miss her very much already!

On a more lighthearted note, I don't know what possessed me to do this, but coming home from class on Tuesday night I pulled over at a pet store and bought Shayla a new hamster. (When we returned home Monday evening she went to check on her hamster right away. Daddy had been giving her daily updates and the hamster was fine and Aunt V cleaned the cage on Sunday. Sadly, we learned the hamster was dead.) Needless to say, just like Grandma, I was a heroine! She loves her new hamster which has yet to be named.

Tomorrow will be the Alex & Christi Lemonade stand at the Old Fort Bank, Westgate Office (11-2 PM). My deepest thanks to my good friend, Lori, and her family for working so hard in getting all of this together. It would not be happening without the Grines!

3 Comments:

At 8/6/06 8:41 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm so glad her white cell count is soo HIGH! GO baby stem cells GO!

I'm glad too that she was able to dance her practice tonight. What a miracle, what a delight. I know I can count on you for lots and lots of pictures of the little ballerinas in action.

I hope Shayla is enjoying the New Hamster.

Best wishes for a wonderful Lemonade Stand tomorrow!! May someday there be no need because a CURE will have been found!

I love you dearly!!

Much love, many prayers,
Heather

 
At 8/6/06 9:01 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

Youch, those bruises look like they hurt! But you couldn't tell...look at that smile!

I just finished with preparing for tomorrow's big day. (Well, I hope!) I'm super excited to see how it turns out.

I also can't wait until the show on Sunday. I love the songs Christi is dancing to!

 
At 9/6/06 5:10 AM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Good morning Thomas Team!!! Happy Friday! Oh Christi and Shayla, how I wish I could be there to see you dance! And the pieces that have been chosen for your performances....I just love them! I'm sure mom and dad will post pictures. "BREAK A LEG!"...(BUT DON'T!!!!) Have fun! I miss dance recitals...Michele and Meghan both danced...Meghan gave it up as her interest turne more toward art, but Michele danced through her senior year of high school. I would always get a kick out of the most youngest performers!...one looking this way, one waving to the family from stage! hehhehee!

I'll be praying for sunny weather tomorrow for the lemonade stand! We've been catching up on our liquid sunshine around here! We did need the rain so badly, but now I'm ready for the REAL sunshine!

Dear God, if we stop long enough to look, we CAN see Your daily miracles...the smile of a newborn baby, the grass that grows so quickly after a sprinkle, a bird's nest, the opening of a rose bud, the gift of blood, the gift of life. We thank You for Christi feeling so well!!! We thank you for her very special sister Shayla who just always goes with the flow. We thank you for librarians and authors of the books we love! We thank you for all of the children, those who are here still fighting, and most especially the families of those who have earned their wings too early...let them feel Your love dear Heavenly Father...Thank You for the gift of Alex and her legacy that lives on to help others. And thank You for all those involved in the care of these children - those continuing to do research, to the smiling employee who mops the floor in the hospital room. God, Bless Us All. Amen.

love, sylvia xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home