Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Kindness

Shayne and I witnessed unbelievable kindness today/tonight hearing so many lovely things about this special little girl. Hearing she was a "Saint" was most moving to us. Touched doesn’t even begin to describe our feelings by the outpouring of love and support. Additionally, we are just speechless by the “Christi Fans” who drove 7, 8, even 10 hours to come and express their sympathy and to tell us the role she took in their lives. We continue to be “numb” like we are going through the motions and that is all. Also, we remain absolutely exhausted and drained.

This morning was difficult as it seemed to be a typical Saturday when Shayne and I would cuddle on the couch and wait for the girls to come down and climb on our laps. Shayla did…….I kept thinking Christi would come bopping down the stairs, joining us on the couch and asking us if she could have cereal for breakfast, but she never did. I think next week it will really hit me as our new life without Christi begins.

VIEWERS DESCRETION NOTICE: I will warn you that at the bottom of this entry are pictures of her in her casket. I think she’s beautiful, but I have always been a bias mother! I’ll add a story here which contains a funny “inside secret” to take up some space but please know what’s listed below. In case you do not want to view it, do not read on.

Tonight the Trauneros informed us that Toledo News 11 will be coming tomorrow, but will be descrete. Additionally, 750 “Memory Booklets” have been distributed. So, since many of you may now have the memory booklets, please take a look at the very last picture – the picture beside the poem Christi wrote about herself. She is cuddling a little kitten in the picture. While the background was cropped out, I hope you smile when you see that picture after hearing this story behind the adventure that night…….

This April Christi was hospitalized with low blood counts and the days seemed to go by slowly. I knew at that point the only thing that could possibly make Christi happy would be to have a kitten to play with. Well, kittens are prohibited on the cancer patients’ floors but Christi’s counts were “decent” and I was willing to risk it to make her smile. Now my sweet partner in crime from Philly will always remain nameless and while we never told the story in case CHOP would learn about it and watch us like a hawk in the future, all bets are off now.

The stage was set for our friend to sneak her aunt’s kitten into the hospital. It was so tiny it actually fit inside her purse. Christi, who believed that rules were meant to be followed and who did not like making exceptions, decided it would be okay this time. (smile) The kitten was coming about 7 PM so at 4PM we did something very unusual for our typical hospital stays. We drew the curtain around her bed, shut our door and posted a big sign on the outside, “PLEASE KNOCK BEFORE ENTERING”. (We thought if the nurses would get in the hang of it hours early they wouldn’t think a thing of it. We thought a knock on the door would give our friend time to scoop up the kitty and hide it somewhere in the room.)

At 7PM our friend arrived with the kitty in her purse. It was probably the cutest thing I ever saw. Christi had so much joy, even though the kitty had loud “meows” which made me jump each time. Since the nurses “left us alone” most of the day we figured we were all set, but what do you know? We had TWO nurse check ups while the kitty was in our room during that hour and a half. Our friend wrapped her up and quickly dashed to the other side of the room pretending to read some of Christi’s books both times the nurse came in and they never knew Christi was having a delightful time with a prohibited kitten. So…….I’ll leave the Columbus Children’s “bubble story” for another time I need to stall!

While it doesn't show up too well in the pictures, Christi is with her: sketch book from the Met Museum of Art in NYC, ballet pointe shoes, Hank the Cowdog Book, COSI and Cedar Point Passes, a baby grand piano music box, a "Buttercup", "Buckeye" and a horse, a cross (which Shayla will keep the matching one of) and she is also wearing her flip flop ring and her baby ring - the ring Grandma Nee Nee gave her at birth, the one she is wearing in so many of her baby pictures and the one she was to wear on a necklace for her wedding. A baby ring should not still fit on your finger when you are put to rest. UGH! I will have the beautiful Jesus necklace she received from her Aunts on her First Holy Communion removed before the casket is closed and put on a longer chain so that I can wear it in her memory. Her friends from school tonight gave her the "Chatty Cathy Club" necklace which she'll take with her and they each have one now too. (Precious) God, please bless and comfort these lovely children!



20 Comments:

At 22/9/06 9:38 PM, Blogger Kryd said...

Angela & Shayne-

She looks absolutely beautiful in her casket. I'm sorry I could not attend, and althought you don't know me personally, I would have loved to be there because Christi touched my life more the anyone has ever in my entire life. I wake up and come straight to this website. I'm so happy that you are willing to continue this website after her passing and let us know how everything is going. Is she buried now? What cemetary is she at? God Bless you and your family..You will continure to be in my prayers for the rest of my life, I will always think about how you guys are doing.

I hope your next week is well as the news finally sets in.

I luv u all very much!

Krysta;

 
At 22/9/06 10:04 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

she looks beautiful.

 
At 22/9/06 10:12 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Oh Goodness Angela ~ Shayne and Shayla ... Sweet Christi looks absolutely beautiful - thank you for sharing those picture of her looking so peaceful and pain free ... I remain a steadfast prayer warrior ... now praying for your family as the rough waters churn ahead for all of you ... May God Hold you close ... the stories you have of Christi that you share with so many will continue to bring you strength ... she is amazing and I wish I could have driven the 13 hours to tell you that in person ...

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN

 
At 22/9/06 10:25 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

She looked absolutely beautiful tonight Shayne & Angela. Finally at peace and pain free. I cannot thank you enough for sharing your amazing daughters with me.

Do know, I found Shayla shortly after I talked to you and she was happily chatting away and quite her spunky self. I was very relieved to see that.

I also *think* I have that video on a disc and I have a copy of the Sandusky Register article...I'll send them to you soon.

Love you so much.
Jennifer

 
At 22/9/06 10:39 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Thank you for posting the pictures of Christi in her coffin. She does look beautiful, and it is comforting to be able to see her looking so peaceful.

-Sarah Smail

 
At 22/9/06 10:44 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Christi is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing her life with us. She has touched so many lives. Her memory will forever live on.

 
At 22/9/06 11:02 PM, Blogger Michele said...

She is a very very beautiful angel.
A angel that is watching and taking care of you 3.
Just remember that one day you all will be together once again.

God Bless you.
My prayers are with you all.

Michele

 
At 22/9/06 11:18 PM, Blogger Just Me said...

Beautiful...you all continue to inspire me every day.

Would you ever consider printing more memorial "Christi booklets" that the THOUSANDS of us out here in the world could receive in exchange for a donation to her memorial fund? I bet there are many that would love the keepsake!

 
At 23/9/06 12:07 AM, Blogger Chris said...

What a beautiful little girl. My sympathies for your great loss. Your faith is an inspiration.

 
At 23/9/06 1:27 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

The photos are beautiful - your precious daughter is now in a peaceful, painfree place. We keep you in our thoughts and remember the strength and courage that Christi has taught us all. God Bless you Thomas family from the Mills family in Queensland Australia.

 
At 23/9/06 2:00 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

Your precious Christi is indeed beautiful; she looks so at peace. My heart is breaking thinking of the three of you having to say goodbye to her, even if it is only temporary. I know in Heaven time is but a blink of an eye, but to those of us here on earth, the time without one so loved and treasured can seem so long. My prayers remain with you all, that the love, joy, and zest for life that Christi displayed will sustain you in the days to come.

 
At 23/9/06 2:29 AM, Blogger Eugenia said...

She looks beautiful to me too. I wish I could have been there to honor Christi and her life. Thank you for sharing about Christi and her life, she has affected me more than I could have ever imagined. You're constantly in my thoughts and prayers,
Eugenia

 
At 23/9/06 8:51 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures with those of us who can't be there so say goodbye to Christi in person. Even in death, she is the beautiful princess that she was in life.

My heart goes out to you today as you celebrate Christi's life and lay her body to rest. May God be with all of you.

Many prayers and deepest sympathy,
Candy Belanger

 
At 23/9/06 8:55 AM, Blogger Suzi, Brayden, and Cooper said...

I am so sorry about Christi. I only recently found this blog through another website I was on. You have an amazing family and Christi was an amazing girl. Don't feel bad about posting the pictures of her. She looks beautiful and it is all part of your/her story.
Suzi www.caringbridge.org/mi/cooper

 
At 23/9/06 9:19 AM, Blogger Kidney Girl said...

Christi looks so happy! I've had many family members die of cancer and I have never seen such a look of being at peace. To me it looks like she has a content smile on her face - the look of having fun in heaven! What a blessing!

Lynne

 
At 23/9/06 11:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Christi's Prayer

Christi's Angels
Came to the door.
Calling her by name,
They placed a
Magnificant Carpet
On the pearly white floor.
They welcomed her.
They opened their loving
And tender arms.
"My dear little one
Now there you are!
Free from ALL pain.
There are no more storms.
Come quick to meet Jesus.
He wants you to shine
More brilliant than
The brightest star.
You will be at his side
From morning til night.
Hurry little one,
He is here.
Look little Christi."

And, Christi with her
Lovely eyes,
Gazed at Jesus,
Her smile said it all.
"Jesus, she asked
With a small tiny voice,
"I have one question
For you today.
"Can all the angels
That I see here this day,
Keep my family company
While I'm away."
"Why of course,"
Said the Lord
With a smile
On His Face.
"Ask what you want...
"Now you are here
And your family there.
The path you NOW share
Will always be prayer."
And angels will watch
Both day and night
Both your Mommy and daddy
And your sister too.

Then Christi with that
Grin on her face.
Was content with Jesus
And the answers He gave.
So she ran off to Play
With the angels
For the rest of the day.

--------------------------

God Bless the family,
Lyllian Sapp

 
At 23/9/06 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs

There's something in a simple hug that always warms the heart;
It welcomes us back home and makes it easier to part.

A hug's a way to share the joy and sad times we go through,
Or just a way for friends to say they like you 'cause you're you.

Hugs are meant for anyone for whom we really care,
From your grandma to your neighbor - or a cuddly teddy bear.

A hug is an amazing thing - it's just the perfect way
To show the love we're feeling but can't find the words to say.

It's funny how a little hug makes everyone feel good;
In every place and language, it's always understood.

And hugs don't need equipment, special batteries or parts -
Just open up your arms and open up your hearts.

Love always,
Misty

 
At 23/9/06 4:56 PM, Blogger Kim said...

My tears are mixed will all of those who loved Christi as she is laid to rest today. A candle is burning in my home for your sweet angel! May you continue to feel Christi's love and know that she is safe in Heaven.

With love, respect and continued prayers -

Kim

 
At 23/9/06 10:15 PM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

Christi is absolutely beautiful, and that dress was fit for a QUEEN! Thank you for sharing your precious daughter, even in death with the rest of us. Her services were a royal send off just as she deserved. I am not even a little surprised that you had such a strong showing of love and support from your community and those that met her. She was a bright shinning beacon of light that drew others to her. Peace and comfort to you all. I wish there was more I had to offer.

 
At 24/9/06 2:52 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Angela ~ Shayne ~ Shayla too! Christi is the most beautiful Princess I have ever seen ... in life and in death her grace and beauty shines through ... thank you for sharing these very personal photos and feelings with so many of us whose hearts are broken for your loss ... your Angel is dancing pain free finally! That brings me a small amount of comfort but I do so look forward to meeting her one day ... Congratulations Christi - I bet your Grandpa Vince is alazed by the young lady you are! Enjoy catching up with each other!

God Bless~

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home