Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, September 22, 2006

With Us in Spirit


Shayne and I continue to survive by feeling numb, being busy and actually still feeling exhausted from the hell endured over the past three weeks. Perhaps that’s no different than the way we lived our lives over the past for years. While I truly soaked in every moment and have memories of this sweet little child to treasure forever, I thought if I lived in denial and kept busy enough, it’d never really hit me that my baby had a cancer for which there was no cure. It truly hasn’t yet hit us that she’s gone. I guess she’ll always be “with us” in spirit. (And I just keep thinking she’s up in her bedroom working on a craft project and reading or something.) Yesterday, at the funeral home I kept glancing over at her little casket expecting the funny little jokester to pop out and say, “How did I do, mom? Did I fake you out?! Can you believe people said I looked beautiful? My best feature is my blue eyes and they closed them! How about Shayla patting my head so much that she left a bald spot?!” Oh how she would have loved to run around the funeral home playing with the many friends who came to tell her goodbye.

Over and over Shayne and I have said that was the most difficult thing- watching Christi’s little friends come up in tears and not knowing what to say to them regarding the senselessness of this tragedy. It was absolutely heartbreaking. Christi had many, many friends and they brought her incredibly joy. I only hope that they realize she’s always with them in heart and spirit and that they gave her so much by not knowing how terribly sick she really was and by treating her as a “normal” kid – exactly the kid Shayne and I wanted her to be! Shayne and I feel horrible that we’ve done this to her friends’ parents. We know some of these kids are just devastated and it is so very painful.

Also, challenging for me was trying to talk with many of my sweet students and former students who came last night. They shouldn't see their teacher crying and lacking composure. As one not often without a loss for words, they just weren't coming to me as I could see their pain to and thought that this is probably one of the first times they're experiencing death - and the death of a child. I didn't know what to say and my heart hurt for them.

It was a week ago today that Christi had her last “good day” (if you can call what she went through at the end a good day). She spent some time on the computer and pretended to be daddy lifting weights with two bread sticks making us crack up. She always loved those American Girl quiz books and a sweet “Christi Crew” member from afar sent her a family one which we did together until she drifted off to sleep.

It was at that point when I realized I’d better leave denial mode and switch into serious funeral planning mode so that I could continue to live my life with “no regrets”. Over a year ago, Shayne and I had selected the Trauneros to take care of Christi’s arrangements and we really appreciate their total confidentiality in the matter. I knew times would be cruel and it’d be easier to do much ahead of time if possible. From the computer Shayne rigged up at the hospital which allowed me to type right from Christi’s bed, I had countless emails with Andrea and with MLAD. Shayne said many times, “Having the Trauneros just makes sense doesn’t it?!”

Although at different schools, Traunero’s daughter and Christi are in the same grade and share common interests. Although Christi hated flying in small planes because they always made her carsick, on two occasions Rich flew us back home from Philadelphia through his incredibly kind services as an Angel Flight pilot which Christi was most grateful about. Many Angel parents told me that one of the hardest things is after telling your kids never to go with a stranger, turning your kid over to a complete stranger so I knew that I wouldn’t do that, instead I’d turn her over to another mother knowing Andrea would fuss over her when I couldn’t anymore. (Well, that didn’t exactly happen as I never ever expected her body to sit in an inner city Philadelphia funeral home for over 24 hours until they allowed Rich to fly out and bring her back, but I was moved to tears by the compassion I learned of when the social worker called and told me that Christi was with her (or her nurse Amy) until they came to remove her from the hospital.) The Trauneros have worked tirelessly and I can’t possibly say enough about this wonderful couple and what they do at their funeral home.

Also working tirelessly has been Deirdre and Mark. Knowing I wanted everyone to have a little memory / keepsake book of Christi’s amazing little life here on earth, I only wanted THE BEST! Therefore, over a year ago I asked Andrea Traunero if I could have Mark Levens at his advertising / design business- MLAD, create booklets with pictures and noteworthy events in her young life. I’ve always been overly impressed with Mark’s quality of work and I can’t even express how nice these keepsakes are! Days ago I emailed roughly 90 photos to MLAD fully expecting to receive an email back saying, “Nice pics, mom, but now cut it down to 10 for the books,” but they didn’t! They used every one I sent!

Additionally, I felt that handing out bookmarks would be symbolic of Christi’s life and love of reading so MLAD also put a poem I gave them along with her picture on these lovely bookmarks and printed those too. I hope they help her memory to live on and to continue to inspire others to put their problems into perspective and, if I may borrow a quote from Christi- to “enjoy what you have while you have it,” (age 5).

Yesterday’s calling hours were very, very sad – especially initially. Shayne and I asked to have some private time with Christi as we’re just feeling like we can’t get enough of her; therefore, we arrived before noon and we had an hour alone with CT. Saying it was “difficult” to see her in that little white coffin would be an understatement, but we did both think she looked just like a princess. Friends and family were so sweet in coming to pay their respects and by telling us how she’s given them a new perspective on their own lives and that they’ll never forget her. Many told me that they’ve read every journal and blog entry I posted over the past four years and that I should write a book. Well, I have killer candidacy exams to pass and a lengthy dissertation to write first…..maybe someday when the pain isn’t so raw and fresh. (I was incredibly touched to see a beautiful peace lily wrapped in scarlet and gray from my OSU friends.) Christi taught me how to live, so I guess I’ll put “Capture Christi’s Story” on my “to do list” just like Christi always had a list of things going that she wanted to do. She taught me well!

I would like to somehow get all of my journal and blog entries printed out. If you have any ideas about a good way to do this, please let me know. Some, but not all entries are saved, yet they're in a variety of places as we've had computers and disks come and go over the years. I don't know if they can just disappear from the Internet or not, but I would think that is a possibility and it frightens me. So many times I thought we'd sit on the front porch and read them as Christi neared her graduation. Now I only hope that they'll help Shayla heal and grow when she's older. She was only three when Christi was diagnosed. From the time she could remember, her sister had cancer and she'd been put on the backburner. I think reading all we endured over the years will allow her to understand that it wasn't that we didn't love her equally, but that we were trying with all our might to save her best friend's life when the odds were totally stacked against us. We weren't successful and our heart breaks for Shayla. No one should grow up without a brother or a sister available to them in life.

Buttercup, the cat typically found lounging in Christi’s bedroom hasn’t left the foot of our bed instead. It’s almost like “she knows”. Shayla is being very loving to Christi’s cats, now calling them her own. (Something Christi wrote in a diary that she doesn’t like.) Shayla has sobbed many, many times since we broke the news to her Tuesday night. At the funeral home she cried a river of tears which left huge tear drops all over the top of her black velvet dress. Later when her cousins arrived and when her friends came to pay their respects, she was back to her old self running around, talking and playing. I believe this has been and will continue to be devastating to her. We are very worried about Shayla as she lost her best playmate. The girls were so in sync with each other; they shared more than we’ll ever know. (In selecting Christi’s jewelry I picked out a flip flop ring in her birthstone color to symbolize Christi’s love of flip flops. Shayla said, “Josh gave her that and it’s really a toe ring, mom.” Two things I had forgotten or I never knew.) Shayla did manage to leave Christi with a small bald spot, but I hated to hurt her even more by removing her hand off of Christi’s head. (The radiation would have caused baldness which started happening about a day before she died. Shayla always loved touching Christi’s very soft hair and I let it go on a bit before I apologized for having to remove her hand from sissy’s head. The look on Shayla’s face after she saw that wisps of hair were flying all over the casket as a result of touching her hair, will not be forgotten. (And I could just hear Christi bending down from Heaven shouting, “SHAYLA!!”)

Having lost 17 pounds in about 9 weeks, I’ve been eating the food that has been so kindly shared with our family – thank you! Additionally, I’d like to say thank you to my great friends Shari & Anne for putting together a picture / keepsakes display! I know they were at the funeral home working hard for hours and I’m very grateful. It’s nice to share happy memories of Christi with others and Andrea had done so much I just couldn’t dump all of that on her “to do list” also.

If you’d like to scroll down, pictures were added last night – thanks to Eric, in Wednesday’s blog entry so it now includes the dress she will be buried in. (How about my $39.99 Ebay bargain for a new dress with tags from Los Angeles?!) The big relief was when Andrea let me know it actually arrived and was gorgeous. Also, you’ll find a picture I snapped of the gorgeous Tuesday night sky, even though my picture doesn’t do it justice.

WARNING: Yesterday, Shayne and I snapped pictures of Christi’s body in her coffin. Before Christi died I would have thought that was terribly morbid, but you see I’d never lived in these new shoes before and we found looking at her yesterday that it was still our daughter and that we thought she was just perfect. Additionally, other Angel mothers have told me to take pictures as they wish they had final pictures of their child, finally resting and looking so peaceful. We did and I will post them soon. Please do not check the blog if that will offend you. That’s truly not my desire, but to share our story in hopes of helping others and allowing us to put closure on this chapter of our lives. Many have followed Christi’s journey from afar and will not be able to travel to Tiffin, Ohio. I hope the pictures help bring them healing, comfort and closure too.

Still……I just can’t believe after being what seemed “down and out” so many times and somehow always bouncing back that she just didn’t have just one more little comeback in her.

Missing my sweet pea,
Angela

31 Comments:

At 22/9/06 7:29 AM, Blogger Kim said...

What a brave and beautiful soul you are Angela! My mind went to all of you so frequently yesterday afternoon - as it will in the days and months ahead. Wishing I could be there to give you one quick hug - mom to mom. I am not an angel mom. I cannot even begin to understand what that must be like. But I thank you nonetheless for continuing Christi's legacy of making sure that people know what is truly important in life.

You and Shayne are amazing. I know that Christi is so very proud of you! And her little sister, too!

With love and repsect -

Kim

 
At 22/9/06 7:55 AM, Blogger Kryd said...

Angela & Shayne,

I don't have the words to heal your heart although I wish I did. You hae got to be ealing with one of the worst thing to ever go through. I'm really praying for Shayla. I hope she is ok in dealing with her sisters loss. Hopefully her friends will take a good part of her hurt away and really be there for her, as well as her great and awesome mommy and daddy that are so wonderful! It breaks my heart to hear about Christi's friends and how heartbroken they are over her. I bet at the age of 9 that may be their first incounter with death, and it being their bestfriend, that has got to be HARD.

Christi sure was a fighter, she had a lot of fight in her, but her lil body couldn't take the pain anymore, she is in a much better place now...She was just to beautiful to stay on earth. She is in heaven taking care of the animals and loving on her papa.

Much luv to you all today, as you bury your precious baby. I will be thinking of you guys at that time. God Bless you all.

Krystal

 
At 22/9/06 8:01 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Missing and remembering Christi with you today.

She was the most spirited little fighter and I shall never, ever forget her. She came right in from the first day I ever "clicked" on her journal and stole a piece of my heart.

Please hug Shayla tight from me. And have her give you a big hug right back.

Know that I love you dearly and am holding you close to my heart and in my prayers.

I love you!

Love and prayers for always,

Heather

 
At 22/9/06 8:03 AM, Blogger Tine said...

Dear Angela,
Me, too (about everything you've written). I'm glad you are adding Christi's story to your to do list because you have a wonderful way of expressing yourself and you speak to our hearts from your heart.

I wish I could come there to be with you, but I am thinking of all of you and will continue to keep in touch. With love, Christine

 
At 22/9/06 8:41 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Last night as I was driving home from work, I was thinking about Christi. I looked up and saw a big rainbow, even though it wasn't rainy. I was wondering how the rainbow could have even formed, but then I realized that it must have been sweet Christi, already trying to cheer everyone up. :)

 
At 22/9/06 8:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Angela,

Everything you wrote, and are feeling, is very normal given what you've been through.

Maybe it is denial wishing Christi had one more "bounce back" in her. But it is normal too. Anytime a loved one of mine has died, I've had that exact same feeling... and they were adults. So I imagine it's even more so a reality to deal with when it's your child who's passed.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

As for writing a book.. whether it's about Christi or any other top, I agree you would be great at it.. Shayne too. I am always amazed at how well you both express yourselves in this journal.

You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.. Shayne and Shayla and everyone else too (are in my prayers).

Katie

 
At 22/9/06 8:51 AM, Blogger cmhl said...

thinking of you, and praying for you from tennessee. Your daughter is beautiful (both of them), and my heart breaks for you. Be easy with yourself for this next few days/weeks/years.

 
At 22/9/06 9:00 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Still reading through tear filles eyes for your family - this struggle was won by Christi but now you are all left without her - what an example of a catch 22 ... while we are SO happy that Christi is pain free and dancing - now the holes in your heart will remain until you meet again! God Bless You Angela, Shayne and Sweet Shayla ... and Christi - Keep an eye on your family ... they need you now more than ever! PLEASE know I will remain a faithful prayer warrior for you and your family ...

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN

 
At 22/9/06 9:03 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Angela ~ Shayne ~ Shayla ... I forgot to mention that here in the Twin Cities ... the day Christi passed was a glorious day ... the sun broke through with the most amazing Staircase to Heaven ... everyday since the skies have been crying tears here - as if Heaven knows what you lost ... it is supposed to rain straight through Saturday afternoon ... how fitting ... my eyes have been raining as much as the sky since Tuesday ... Just thought I would mention ...

Thinking of you all!

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN

 
At 22/9/06 9:08 AM, Blogger Toni said...

Dear Shayla,
When I think of what you are going through right now an old joke comes to mind: What do you call a donkey with three legs?
Answer: A WONKEY!
And I think that must be a bit how you might be feeling....a bit wonky and wobbly. But you know something? It's okay to feel like that, even adults feel wonky and wobbly sometimes. (And you won't always feel like this....just for a while)
I am so sorry you lost your sister. But I am also happy that you have parents who love you so so so much. And I bet you have lots and lots of friends because you are so nice. If I lived in America I would certainly want to be your special friend.
Love to you Shayla from an 'internet' friend in Australia. XOX

 
At 22/9/06 9:30 AM, Blogger Kait said...

Angela,

I'm wrapping you all up in a virtual hug right now. I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for not only sharing Christi's life with us, but sharing this with us too. I'm absolutely heartbroken that I cannot make it to come and say goodbye to this Princess that touched my heart and made my spirit grow over the past 4 years. I think seeing the Princess who is now forever sleeping will help me and a lot of other people too. You all are amazing Thomas Team!

All my love and prayers!

 
At 22/9/06 9:33 AM, Blogger FBC Woodway Blog Editor said...

Precious Thomas family
I live in Woodway Texas (near Waco) and found out about your family from the Saxon family whose young son is fighting the same monster disease your sweet little angel fought. PLEASE pray for little Paul Saxon. www.saxonreport.blogspot.com. I just want you to now that I have and will continue to pray for your family. Your journal has sent me back to the bed of my precious Daddy who died of pancreatic cancer in 2003. My brave Daddy fought his monster for 7 years. I did not know of a blog journal at that time but your words are so close to what my Mom and I went through. Holding a loved ones hand as they are carried to Heaven’s Gates by angels is the most horrible thing and the most beautiful thing all at the sometime. My body was wet with my Daddy’s body fluids that were oozing from his pores because I held him for hours as he passed through this earth. I just wanted him to know before he died how much I loved him and what a perfect Daddy he was to me so I repeated it for hours. I was and remain "Daddy's Girl". Only a person who has experienced this will really understand what it is like. Your family has really handled it well! Stay strong and keep her memory going! WRITE the book! We all need to hear it!! Also I know that you could help so many people let go of a loved one! I pray God's Blessings over your family.

 
At 22/9/06 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart breaks for all of you. Christi will live on in the hearts of all who knew her, and those who knew her only through this blog.

I was able to burn my entire blog onto a dvd, hopefully that will help you.

 
At 22/9/06 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So very sorry to read about your daughter. She sounds like a very brave girl, and very special as well. It's so very sad and difficult to see a child suffering, especially for me, being a childcare teacher.

I came across your blog randomly, but am very glad I did. Although I did not know you or Christi, she has made an impact on my life. If only we could all learn from her.

Many big hugs to you and your family during this very difficult time. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 22/9/06 11:09 AM, Blogger MaryH said...

God help all of you - the dress is beautiful as is Christi - even more so in Heaven - and as in the past, the pictures you post say everything - the one of the three of you reflects your heartache and my heart hurts for you - May Jesus and all his Angels and especially Angel CT lift you up, hold you tightly, calm your hurting hearts and bodies and let you see all the Christi signs - God will tell her to make sure she does that for you - it His gift back to you for returning Christi to him to watch over until you are all together again. My thoughts and prayers are will you as you walk in these "new" shoes.

 
At 22/9/06 11:58 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

I am so sorry to hear the news, but Christi is in a much better place now and she is happy and smiling down on all of you and on all the people who touched her life in some way!

She was a beautiful child, so full of love and joy, a real inspiration to this world, and to me. She touched my life deeply! She will always be in my thoughts :)

She is now living in the Kingdom of the Lord, God Bless her!!!!

I'll miss you deeply Christi, you will always be in my thoughts!

The Thomas family, you will too, forever and always you will be in my prayers, i pray the Lord will give you all the strength you need to live your lifes to the fullest and to always have the great memories to look back on, i love you guys. I pray that Shayla will be ok and know that whenever she feels down or missed Christi terribly, she can still talk to her no matter where she is, because she will always be with her, protecting her and listening!!

thank you for always coming on here to update us and talk to us, your all angels!!! take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lots of love, always here for you guys ...
Lauren Conroy, 18, England xxxxx

 
At 22/9/06 2:06 PM, Blogger j.sterling said...

reading this blog has been inspiring.. i often wonder how you can stay so composed and write so beautifully. it is heartbreaking, but you write it so well. all my best to you and your family- now, and until forever.

 
At 22/9/06 2:23 PM, Blogger Kiddo said...

Angela, Shayne and Shayla.. From the UK, I have followed your family's story. Words cannot describe the emptiness I am feeling with the loss of a truly unique and wonderful young lady. I know Christi will be dancing in heaven, with a smile across her perfect face. Your daughters courage, gave me courage to battle my own health, so on more levels than one, I owe Christi so much. My thoughts and love are with you all in Ohio.
Dance My Darling Christi,
With Your Wings Made Of Gold,
Smile My Darling Christi,
Your Character Forever Bold,
Be Free My Darling Christi,
And Thank-You for Touching My Life..

 
At 22/9/06 3:05 PM, Blogger jody said...

blurp.com will print your blog and put it in book form. (not yet taking orders but will be ready for orders soon)

My deepest sympathies. Have followed your story and pray often for your family.

 
At 22/9/06 3:13 PM, Blogger jody said...

blurb.com for printing blog books.

 
At 22/9/06 4:00 PM, Blogger Carlene said...

Shayne, Angela, and Shayla --- you are truly my heroes. In March I lost my grandmother, a person I was extremely close to. I don't know how you are so strong. You have insprired me in so many ways. While I miss my grandmother very much, I know she now has a new job in heaven. I talk to her every night and tell her to hold Christi in her arms and wrap her in a warm pink blanket and rock her in her rocking chair, just like she would do for me. Your beautiful daughter is being taken care of; I promise as long as my grandmother is with her she is great hands. I am praying for you during this difficult time.

 
At 22/9/06 5:25 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

I hope you continue blogging--- I have been praying for your family & Christi, and I hope to still hear from you all.

thinking of you.

 
At 22/9/06 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I've written in here time and time again god bless the thomas team! I can't say it enough! I just wanted to let you all know that I will never stop praying for you!

 
At 22/9/06 5:49 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Thinking of you always. Remembering Christi with tears and smiles tonight.

I love you all,

Love and prayers for always,
Heather

 
At 22/9/06 6:01 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Hi, I've just recently "met" Christi, what a brave soldier. I just want to let you know that I am praying for your family. I've lost a sister-in-law to cancer and I so clearly remember what you are going through right now. My thoughts are with you and I will continue to pray for strength for you to get through the coming days. I know Shayla will miss her hero. God bless you.

 
At 22/9/06 6:41 PM, Blogger NB Warrior said...

Angela, you are truly an amazing woman. You just lost your most precious little girl to a horrible beast and you are worried about everyone else. You are an inspiration to me and you have my families deepest condolences on your family's loss. I was a silent reader on the support group as well as your blogs. I hope you still come to the convention next July in Chicago because I would love to meet you. I only wish I could have met your lovely daughter. I totally understand what you mean about trying to live in denial, my father passed away a little over 2 years ago and even though he had been sick for many years it was very very hard to see him go. I moved away when I graduated from high school to San Diego and he lived in Reno. Just when my husband and I decided to move to Phoenix, my dad took a fall and was no longer able to continue his dialysis. Luckily I didn’t have a job at the time so I flew up there to be with him and sure enough the next day after I got there, he passed on. Now since I didn’t live near him and didn’t see him every day, I just kept telling myself that he was still there and I would call him on holidays as well as his birthday. He was cremated and I have him here with me at my house, but it’s still hard for me to come to grips that he’s gone. He passed on before my daughter was diagnosed with NB stage 3, November 8th 2004. I believe he is up there watching over his grand-daughter and helping her beat this horrible disease. Your daughter was so brave in letting the doctors use her tumor to study. She really was an amazing person and I wish my daughter could have met her. Please take lots of time for yourself, Shayne and Shayla.

Peace and love from our family to yours.

The Ugarte Family – Michelle, David, Isabella (dx w/ stage 3 NB) and little 2 month old David

http://www.caringbridge.org/az/isabellaroseugarte/

 
At 22/9/06 6:44 PM, Blogger KINTHEATL said...

I'm sorry is so inadequate, however I didn't want to avoid writing something because it isn't enough.

Your celebration of Christi's life sounds awesome. I hope you feel her with you often.

 
At 22/9/06 7:17 PM, Blogger Kidney Girl said...

My girls sent Christi some balloons this evening. They were so happy to do it! We watched them until they went out of sight.

 
At 22/9/06 8:37 PM, Blogger Maria said...

Angela

There is a website called blogprinting.com that is supposed to be easy to have your blog printed off.

I wish I could convey to you how reading about Christi has affected me. I don't think I can though. There are no words for things like this. -----(--------@

 
At 22/9/06 9:52 PM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

It doesn't surprise me that in the middle of your incredible pain and devastation, you are most concerned for other people. You are truly the sweetest person I've ever met. I also feel so bad for poor Shayla. I am sure she will be OK in time, because she is surrounded with so much love and has the best parents. I was thinking of you two all day. Thank you for sharing the photos of that beautiful dress. It is so perfect. Christi was a beautiful baby, beautiful little girl, she was no doubt perfect and beautiful even in death. Though that awful cancer took so much, her beauty could not be fully extinguished. That photo taken just a short while before she passed on shows a tired but beautiful little girl still.

There isn't much chance of her being forgoten... she has touched too many lives. I do hope in time you will put together a book because her story is important and inspirational.

Angela and Shayne and Shayla will also never be forgoten by us. I will pray for strength and courage for all of you during this difficult transition.

 
At 23/9/06 6:59 AM, Blogger monsoon dreams said...

be courageous.i too am an angel mother and terribly in pain about the reality that i will have my second angel at any time.please remember my daughter too in your prayers.i unedrstand what you are going thru.may God be with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home