Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, November 06, 2006

All That Jazz

(Christi, May 2001, wearing a leotard and tap dance shoes I got at a used clothing store and gave to her for her 4th birthday. She loved it and she started dance lessons at Dance Unlimited that September.)

After church yesterday we took Shayla to see the Ritz Player's production of "Seussical, the Musical" Shayla knew many of the performers and she really enjoyed it. Last night Shayla enjoyed talking with Veronica, her NYC friend. (Last year she stayed with them while Shayne ran the marathon.)

Shayne's luggage has yet to arrive back from his business trip last week in Europe, hmmmm. I had another great day at New Generations Preschool today and I'm looking forward to spending another day with them on Wednesday.

I "think" I'm ready to return to my teaching position later on this week; I keep telling myself that somehow I will get to my classroom and it'll be ok. (I can't get to my room without seeing Christi's 5th grade classroom and that has been my big hang up. The thought alone puts a huge lump in my throat.) Over the years when she would go with Shayne to Philly for tests and treatments and I had to stay back in work it was always so hard just seeing her classroom, teachers and friends, even though I knew she was alive. I can't help but think this is going to be even harder than my past horror of being at school without school's big fan - Christi Thomas!

Last week Shayla's little gymnastics group was promoting to the next level at the YMCA so she was very happy (no - THRILLED, about that. Also last week, I finally had a night free and felt up to going to be with the other girls and mothers at dance so I was able to sit and watch Shayla. I took a lot of pictures and couldn't help but remember that final night of dance Christi attended last January where I snapped 84 digital images of her. I'm SO GLAD I did! Tonight I look back in reflection at how much the girls look like each other, especially now that Shayla wears all of Christi's clothing. I also look back at how adorable Christi was in her young ballet class. Precious!

Shayla, age 7, Oct. '06
Christi, age 8, Jan. 2006
Happier times (1/2006) Dance Unlimited at Heidelberg College
2001: Christi, center, age 4 at ballet

6 Comments:

At 6/11/06 5:16 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

I love Seussical the Musical! I'm glad Shayla enjoyed that one!

My heart drops seeing Christi's ballet pictures. So beautiful...

Keeping you in my heart as you go back to work. I can't imagine how hard it will be for you. I know your students and Christi's classmates will welcome you with open arms though.

 
At 6/11/06 6:52 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

What beautiful pictures of your beautiful dancers! I agree that Shayla and Christi do look alike.

I'll be praying as you head back to school this week. I can't imagine how difficult that will be for you. I'll pray that God will hold you close in His loving arms and give you the strength you need.

Praying that Shayne's luggage finds it's way home from Europe too.

I love you all dearly!!

With love and prayers for always,
Heather

 
At 6/11/06 7:34 PM, Blogger monicac2 said...

Such sweet pictures. My oldest daughter is 4 years old, and also takes ballet. These pictures just remind me of how precious, fleeting and unpredictable life can be.

You will be in my prayers for your return to school. I pray that you would feel the warmth of Christi's spirit and the love of God around you every step of the way.

God bless,

 
At 6/11/06 8:04 PM, Blogger Gin Bogert said...

Hi Angela,
First let me start by saying in no way is my experieince as gut wrenching and heartbreaking as yours and that in a million years I would never compare my loss with yours. With that said I taught middle school before I had Payton and I also taught with Rob's roomate and best friend. He really was like a family member to us and we loved him so dearly. Anyway, Allen taught two doors down from me and we drove to work every morning, ate lunch together, graded papers with each other and basically were together all day everyday...since we also basically lived together too...On January 25, 2000 we received a phone call that Allen had an anurysm. Sadly, he stayed alive via life support long enough for his parents and siblings to make it here from PA. His organs were donated and he was released to a better place. I am telling you this because like you the hardest part for me was walking by his classroom. Cleaning out his room and removing his personal things. It was hard to go to school with out his antics in the car and even harder to see all his "kids" everyday. I can only imagine your pain right now. As those first few weeks back were hard on me. A few weeks ago I returned to our old school and vivid memories of Allen flooded my brain. I am inspired by your ability to return to work in such a short period of time. Grieving the loss of a child should not be done with time constraints. I am sorry that you are having to return and to some extent I do understand how hard returning can be. But as I said no matter how hard it was to loose our best friend in the end it was not our child and so I really can't begin to compare our experieinces but if it helps even a little to know that it can get easier with time I hope it does. And at times I felt close to Allen when I was in those hallways...peace my friend!
Love,
Gin

 
At 6/11/06 10:55 PM, Blogger Frapper said...

It sounds as though you had a nice weekend together; hopefully the luggage will turn up soon! I continue to pray for a sense of peace for you as you prepare to return to work, a feeling that Christi is in school with you, encouraging you as you teach because she always loved her teachers and school so much. Both your girls look so sweet in their dance classes, such precious memories you must have as you watch Shayla and her friends.

 
At 8/11/06 4:32 AM, Blogger Melinda Auld said...

What beautiful photos - Christi was just SO sweet, especially in that jazz outfit!

I can't imagine what it will be like going back to school for you, Angela, but I am sure you will learn to find your feet - just like your dancing daughter. Baby steps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home