Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Two Months Ago Today


Two months ago today, Christi took her final breath at 9AM and it was like she slowly floated away away from us. Shayne and I sobbed at her bedside holding her precious, warm, little body that just couldn't withstand any more. My Angel friends have told me the most difficult months are yet ahead, but I cannot imagine how I can hurt any more than I do right now.

A sweet friend, Mike, sent a book - "Children Mourn, Mourning Children" to help our family through this tragic journey. According to this book I've learned that 99% of marriages experience incredibly challenging times and children mourn in children-like way. They grieve off and on over short periods of time. That helped me explain while Shayla will be so sad one moment and then suddenly off playing. It also informed me that while her grief will probably not last two years like ours, it will last much longer than most would ever anticipate, know or understand.

Last night after our bedtime stories Shayla told me she'd like to have a tenth birthday party for all of Christi's friends on Christi's birthday - May 12th. I told her we had been thinking the same thing and are thinking about perhaps an afternoon tea party since Christi loved having high tea. This week Christi would have turned nine and a half. Knowing how fragil life is and how special children are, we always celebrated the girls' half birthdays. I think all families should celebrate them and give their kids extra time, love and attention on their "half birthday". Who knows if the real one will ever come?

Our Hero & Inspiration: Angel Shane! (Another victim of neuroblastoma, flew Home November 2004)
Christi with her darling OSU scrubs (CHOP - March 2006)


Last night, before we took my mom out for dinner for her birthday, the three of us enjoyed watching the OSU-Michigan football game together. We're not a real strong sports family so this was a unique event. This year I am a full time student at OSU so out of loyalty I felt like I had to watch the game - and it was a great one! I also couldn't help but wonder if Shane and Christi had a rivalry going on in Heaven too! Certainly, Shane & Christi had the best seats in Heaven - most likely hovering over the 50 yard line (or perhaps with the band since Shane was so talented and was a star in his high school band and maybe Christi was with the amazing OSU cheerleaders since she loved the autographed poster they once sent her). Regardless, it gave me something happy to think about. Mommy misses you, sweetpea! I wish you could have worn your red OSU shirt to school on Friday. I saw many of your friends "decked out" in scarlet and gray and I wished you could have done that too! Shayla has decided that your cat, Buckeye, would be a good cat for Brutus (OSU's Mascot) to have. What do you think? Don't worry. Shayla is taking VERY good care of your cats. You should be proud of her - we are!

8 Comments:

At 19/11/06 9:22 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I woke this morning and my first thought was that today was 2 months. I can only imagine your pain as I know mine for your family and for Christi is still so close to the surface.

A few nights ago I was laying bed and I had been worried about a test of Eden’s and just as I started to drift off to sleep a joke came to my mind that made me smile. The next morning I was asking Eden if she had told this joke to me and she reminded me that Christi told it to us on the car ride to the airport in Philly. How funny that she remembered that and I didn’t. Thank you Christi for the smile, I really needed it.

Love and prayers.

Lisa Adams www.edenadams.com

 
At 19/11/06 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Angela, Shayne and Shayla:
If a million hugs could take a way the smallest amount of the pain, I would send a million and one hugs your way. You sharing your heart's emotions with the world has given me a better understanding of the loss of a child.
My sweet Godsister, Christy, said a final "see you later" to her precious 5 year old Zachary on April 15, 2005. He battled Aplastic Anemia for 2 years before going home. Reading your stories of your Christi reminds me of Zach's character, always the charmer with the greatest imagination whether he was a cowboy, an astronaut, in the army like mommy or daddy's best playmate. Christy is now in Iraq serving our country and about to be transferred to Bagdhad. I plan to send her the books you have mentioned in your blogs.
I thank God for your willingness to share your precious family with us. You are all in my prayers throughout the days. I pray that during times that moments are especially hard that God holds each of you a little tighter and He lets Christi send a few magical blessings your way.
Serving in Him,
Sheila
Texas

 
At 19/11/06 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture of Christi with the Lord welcoming her is just so beautiful. It sent tears streaming down my face and chills up my spine. That picture you can really see her laughing and its just too adoreable! I read where you were speaking of the half birthdays and I wouldve never thought of that! That is truly a wonderful idea and I know my boys would definitely love that as well!lol Anyway,thank you Angela for sharing your life with us. You have truly shown admireable strength,love and courage. I continue to pray for your family during your grieving and in hopes that you will see more signs of Christi and that that will help you look to happier times ahead. Its funny because most people wake up looking forward to their cup of coffee but I wake up looking forward to reading your blogs!:p The story you wrote about the thumbprint necklace of Christi's is amazing! First off I think the necklace idea was truly wonderful and creative and the story gave me the chills. That was definitely Christi!! Its clear that she wants you to know that she is there by you at all times. What a wonderful,caring,compassionate daughter!! And Shayla...how sweet of her to take care of Christi's cats for her! You and Shayne are truly blessed!! We love you guys and yall will always be in our thoughts and prayers daily!!! <3 amanda

 
At 19/11/06 11:12 PM, Blogger Frapper said...

I think the idea of celebrating "half-birthdays" is such a neat one; I don't think I'd ever heard of that before. No doubt there are so many things we should likely celebrate and enjoy while we have them, just like Christi said. It's so sweet that Shayla is planning how to celebrate Christi's birthday; I'm sure things are difficult and confusing for her. Grief is a mystifying enough emotion for adults to be handling, and I can't imagine what it would be like going through that as a child. Your family remains in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 20/11/06 9:22 AM, Blogger Brigid and Celie said...

Christi is a beautiful angel! You're all beautiful!

We love you Thomas Team,
XOXOXO
Brigid and Celie

 
At 20/11/06 2:09 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

I sit here and can not believe she has been gone for two months! She lived her life like everyday was her last - she laughed through the pokes and prods, she teased the nurses and Dr's, she worried about her mom, dad and little sister when she was the one who was ill ... all that she taught to so many people is what makes me sad the most ... to realize that some people will never "know" Christi ... I am blessed to have "met" her about 1 year ago and I am glad I found her ... she has taught me so much about faith, family, fun and taking time to just look around at the world ... for that I say THANK YOU Sweet Christi ... You have touched my life in a way I won't ever be able to explain!

God Bless you Thomas Team!

Love from my family to yours!

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 
At 21/11/06 5:33 PM, Blogger Austin said...

I thought of you guys while we were watching the OSU game this weekend! My mom is an OSU grad, so we thought it was a great game too! I think we're going to make buckeyes this weekend...yummy. Happy Birthday Angela!!

Love and prayers,
Claire at Rally

 
At 3/12/06 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MY FIRST CHRISTMAS IN HEAVEN

I see the countless Christmas trees around the world below
with tiny lights like heaven's stars relecting on the snow.

The sight is so spectacular please wipe away that tear
for I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

I hear the many Christmas songs that people hold so dear
but the sound of music can't compare with the Christmas choir up here.

I have no words to tell you of the joy their voices bring
for it is beyond description to hear the angels sing.

I know how much you miss me, I see the pain inside your heart
for I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

I can't tell you of the splendor or the peace here in this place
Can you just imagine Christmas with our Savior face to face?

I'll ask him to lift your spirit as I tell him of your love
so then pray for one another as you lift your eyes above.

Please let your hearts be joyful and let your spirit sing
for I am spending Christmas in heaven and I'm walking with the King.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home