Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

We Give Thanks

Nov. 1997: Christi with Grandpa and Daddy, age: 6 months
Fall 2000 (In Phoenix for Cousin Josh's football game with Aunt V, Shayla 8 months, Christi 2 1/2)
Thanksgiving 2001 (Left to right: Shayla, Shelby, Shayne, Aunt Mary, Saiko & Christi) the year before diagnosis, age 4 1/2.
November 2002: The amazing Christi! 5 1/2 years

Thanksgiving 2003: At the Macy's Day Parade in NYC! 6 1/2 years



Nov 2004: Visiting relatives in Arizona 7 1/2 years
Nov. 2005: Christi & Shelby (at Grandma Nonee and Paw Paw's) Last Thanksgiving: 8 1/2 years old

On Sunday a birthday cake was kindly placed before me. Suddenly, it was as if I were frozen; I didn't know what to wish for. Over the past four years, I made the same wish - for Christi not to die from cancer, quickly I had to come up with a new one. I couldn't, so I just blew out the candle. It was definitely an odd experience.

I learned yesterday from Shayla's vision doctor in charge of her weekly eye training in Toledo that Shayla is not dyslexic. I am very thankful and happy about that! Praise God! The only area she scored low on was in the area of writing sight words (what, went, there, etc.). I'll continue to check into this, but I believe this is something I can work with her on at home. She's done a great job wearing her glasses and I'm very proud of her.


“I Am Thankful”
by Christi S. Thomas (age 8)
November 2005


I am thankful for my family because they take care of me, feed me and they love me. When I am sad, I can go to them. At night they tuck me under the covers and I love my family.


It's hard to believe this lovely event took place only a year ago. Here is the Toledo TV Newsclip from last year's Thanksgiving at Mom and Paw Paw's:
http://www.nbc24.com/Global/story.asp?s=4163414

Today's Thanksgiving: Shelby & Shayla try to break the wishbone while William cheers them on. We knew Thanksgiving would be too hard this year to repeat how we spent it last year so last night we drove to Cincinnati where Shayla was ABSOUTELY THRILLED to spend a couple of days with her wonderful cousins. The kids have been playing non-stop. Traffic was heavy last night on the interstate, but I think it was a great choice!

Many times this week I started making a list of all of the people who've so kindly helped us along the way so that I could start finding nice things to do for them for Thanksgiving - the perfect time as we're so thankful for all of their love. My list kept growing, time slipped by rapidly and in the end I'm ashamed to admit that I ended up doing nothing. I hope our sweet friends accept this as a "virtual thank you" and consider themselves hugged.

HOW TO OBSERVE THANKSGIVING
Count your blessings instead of your crosses;
Count your gains instead of your losses.
Count your joys instead of your woes;
Count your friends instead of your foes.
Count your smiles instead of your tears;
Count your courage instead of your fears.
Count your full years instead of your lean;
Count your kind deeds instead of your mean.
Count your health instead of your wealth;
Count on God instead of yourself.

Author Unknown

Shayne and I are thankful for Tina and Gil for hosting Thanksgiving. Shayne and I did ok, but kept thinking how much Christi would love to be with her family too. After we sat down for the meal, prayed and started in on our meal my mind just wouldn't let me convince myself what I do all the time "Christi is just at a friend's house," to help me cope. This time I couldn't convince myself that she'd be having Thanksgiving dinner with another family like I can every other day. She may be happy in Heaven; however, without a doubt she'd be happy with her cousins!! Oh, this is tough. Many warned me how hard the upcoming holidays would be, but I had no idea. After dinner, Shayne and I ended up in William's room crying our eyes out until we eventually fell asleep. (Hey, less calories than staying and eating pie, right?! hee hee)

6 Comments:

At 23/11/06 8:51 PM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you this Thanksgiving and saying a prayer for your family. I am pleased to read that you have made it a special day for Shayla, and did the best you could to cope with the difficult emotions of the day. Now it is past, and over, and you can go on to jump that next hurdle.

A belated happy birthday wish to one of the best mom's I've ever met. I'm sorry I missed that post at the time. I'll be thinking of you this holiday season.

Those are some great pictures you've shared. Please tell Shayla she looks just gorgeous in those glasses! It is as if they belonged there all along.

With love and prayers,

 
At 24/11/06 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe you have such strength, I admire that. I think it was good for you and your family to go visit others for Thanksgiving. The holidays are sure tough, harder than any other times. It's amazing how a parent can remember where they were during certain holidays, whether it was at the hospital or having treatments. My daughter barely made it through her 4th birthday party before going to the hospital to get a transfusion. You and and your family, as well as Christi were in my thoughts this year for Thanksgiving. God bless you.

 
At 25/11/06 1:40 PM, Blogger Frapper said...

I'm glad that you got together with family and that Shayla so enjoyed the time spent with her cousins. My prayers for your family continue, as I know the holidays are especially difficult, to say the least. As you say, it's hard to tell yourself that Christi's just at a friend's house when the family's all together to celebrate, and my heart just breaks for you both having to go through this. There are just no words to comfort a parent who just wants their precious daughter there with them. I hope that the rest of your week is a little easier to bear, and that you had a safe trip back home.

 
At 25/11/06 7:30 PM, Blogger Kait said...

Dearest Angela:
Please know that I think about you and your precious family each and every day. You are so brave and positive, and sweet Christi must be very proud of you for going on with your life so courageously. I appreciate you sharing the darling pictures of Christi more than you will ever know. She has always been so beautiful(inside and out). I will never forget her.
Love,
Becky

 
At 25/11/06 8:28 PM, Blogger nikki the red said...

much love to your family from mine.

 
At 26/11/06 2:36 PM, Blogger Annie said...

I continue to pray for you. Birthdays and holidays...they can be really tough. I remember the first few years (actually until we adopted our son) after we lost our daughters...I hated it when people would innocently ask what I wanted (Birthday or Christmas). I just wanted to scream at them..."What do you think??? My daughters!!" Thankfully, I was able to restrain myself...98% of the time.

My wish/prayer for the three of you is that the remaining holiday season be filled with more smiles than tears (unless they're happy). God bless you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home