Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Santa's Lap in Review

While I was out of town last weekend, one of Christi's sweet friends invited Shayla to her church's fundraiser. She loved dressing up and having high tea with beautiful Cami! THANK YOU!

We had a lovely weekend together. I can't believe how much better I feel now that I'm finished with my coursework!! It's like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders! (So far two of my four classes have posted grades, no "B's" yet. Whew!) Last winter when I was in Philly with Christi, Shayne took Shayla on her first attempt to learn how to ski. We knew one lesson wasn't enough, so we headed out to Snow Trails yesterday (near Mansfield) and had a lot of fun. The weather was perfect! Shayne is so patient with Shayla. Despite lacking ski skills himself, he was a tremendous teacher. I continue to be amazed at the love of this awesome man I'm so blessed to call my husband. Shayla is going to ask Santa for a snow board for Christmas - and thanks to a great after Thanksgiving sale and her incredible Uncle Gil's efforts, I'm certain she'll be getting what she asked for! It still feels so odd to see us as just a family of three. When I upload the pictures and actually see us on my computer screen we seem so little. (To cope I just tell myself Christi took a picture of the three of us like she sometimes did and then I'm not so sad.) Last week I also discovered another great coping mechanism.

Sitting at the dinner table, seeing Christi's empty seat drove me to tears many nights. When any company would sit in her seat that would bother me because I knew she'd want to be having dinner with our guest too and why can't she be here with us?! Last week Shayla was setting the table and she asked if I could sit beside her. "That way I'll be right between mommy and daddy," I agreed and it's worked out great. I don't know how Shayne feels about me sitting in Christi's seat, but it has helped me a lot!

Tonight even though it was difficult we went on another family tradition - without Christi. Paw Paw drove us through the Christmas light display in Upper Sandusky. If you've never gone, it's $5.00 for as many people as you can fit in the car - and the money goes to a charity each year, and the enormous display is absolutely lovely! Here is Shayla sitting upon Grandma Nonee's lap.

Dec. 1995 (Angela with her Dad, 7 months before dying from a sudden heart attack) Dad played "Santa" for us for years. Here he was at our home playing Santa for Ashley & Shelby.
Dec. 1996 (6'1" Shayne squeezes into my 5'10" father's Santa costume to continue the tradition for Ashley & Shelby.) Notice my "bludge" - THAT's CHRISTI!!

Baby's First Christmas (Christi & Shayne at our home.)

Dec. 1998 Shayne plays Santa for the bank's Christmas party. Notice my "buldge" - THAT's SHAYLA!

This picture, taken in 1999 - age 2 1/2 years, is perhaps my all time favorite one of CT! Isn't it funny?! She is wearing the flower girl dress Cousin Ashley wore in our wedding. (Ashley hated that dress too, hee hee.) Christi's not crying about the pretty dress she wore to Christmas Eve Mass, but that Santa came walking in our front door! (Daddy had to go "back to work" that night. Can't you just see him out in the cold garage getting himself ready! What a hoot!) PS: Shayla cried hysterically that year too!



Yes, I'm missing a picture of Christi & Shayne from 2000! I'll look on the bright side and say, "At least I found all, but one year and maybe I'll find it in time for Easter!"


Age 4 (2001, This was the fifth and final time Shayne dressed up for our girls. After that he was afraid that they would figure it out. Also, the next year Christi was diagnosed and everything- especially Santa visits, became terribly emotional. We always feared it would be the last time she saw Santa.)

Age 5 (2002 - at COSI) She only asked Santa for "health and happiness for everyone" which nearly made Santa cry.

Age 6 (2003 - at the Ronald McDonald House in Phildelphia)

(2004, Age 7, Make a Wish Party in Toledo)

Final picture with Santa, 2005, Age 8 (Shayla 6)

5 Comments:

At 10/12/06 8:40 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Ahh what beautiful Santa pictures!! I love seeing "older pictures" of you and the girls.

I pray that tonight was as gentle as possible on you all.

The seating arrangement change at your house sounds like a great way to cope to me.

Sending my love and prayers to you as always,

Heather

 
At 11/12/06 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Santa and your family with us. What a wonderful holiday tradition to have enjoyed. Maybe my husband should dress up like Santa...his grandfather played Santa for years! Thinking of all of you, and Christi too, this holiday season.

 
At 11/12/06 3:44 PM, Blogger Frapper said...

I love your "Santa through the years" photos--your daughters are both beautiful. It's neat that you have pictures of your Dad and Shayne both playing Santa. I think Shayla looks so grown up at the tea party. I hope that looking back at all your Christmas photos has brought you some happy memories.

 
At 11/12/06 11:59 PM, Blogger TheCarvers said...

OH MY! SHAYLA LOOKS SO GROWN UP!

 
At 12/12/06 1:47 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Angela, Shayne and Shayla ... just stopping in to see Christi's picture ... I LOVE all the Santa's Lap Photos that you have of her and the "bumps" in her tummy ... what great memories you have ... I can't believe that was her final photo with Santa. That just isn't fair! I know that the Holidays are heartbreaking and I am SO sorry! Know that I continue to think of you daily and pray for you always!

Love from my family to yours!

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home