Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Another Touching Student Poem

Dear Mrs. Thomas,

When I heard about Christi I was so shocked I couldn't think about anything else. I had a free period that day and I wrote this poem. I never thought of a name for it. Maybe you can. I hope it can show you that others feel the loss and your feelings are shared by all. Hopefully, it can express some of your pain as well.

Your Faithful Student,
J.


Be still my child and slumber,
Awaken nevermore
You may have lost your battle
But we all know you won your war.

You’re in God’ s hands now
Calm and joy upon your face,
Down here on earth we’ll think of you
And marvel at your grace.

You fought this battle long and hard
Until the bitter end
It took its toll on you each day,
God’s creatures now you tend.

You watch us now from up above
And keep us in your sight
You hold a bond with all of us
And help us do what’s right.

You lived each day in happiness
A smile upon your face
You left us far too soon young one,
And left memories in your place.

Now in heaven God will tell you
What you ought to be
Maybe you’ll be a guardian angel
Maybe just for me.

Written by J. S.

A Year Ago: Kay & Christi after painting ceramics at Kaylyn's Grandma's pottery shop. Christi had a wonderful day with Kaylyn and painted "Buckeye" on a bowl. Buckeye continues to drink from that bowl daily, despite the presence of her former own and bowl maker. One day during the summer Christi told me that her biggest fear was Buttercup dying because she is so old. (Buttercup turned four in July.) I wonder if Christi was just as worried about her own possible death. It's one of the things I can no longer ask and I will never know.

I've heard from a couple of moms of Christi's friends in recent days and learned that their daughters have been to see the movie "Bridge to Terabithia" and it's been very sad, but good for conversation. While it's been many years since I read Katherine Paterson's book, I just started re-reading it last week. I must stop reading it now as it's no longer enjoyable, but perhaps one day I will be ready to continue reading. A humorous "grief" book that I'm currently in the midst of is "Good Grief". Unlike the many self-help / cope books I've been reading since September, this one is a novel and I'm actually laughing as I apply it to my own situation. If anyone is in my shoes and interested, the author is Lolly Winston.

7 Comments:

At 28/2/07 7:15 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Great Poem, how sweet!

What a great picture of sweet Kay and Christi together.

I'm glad you have found a novel that makes you laugh some.

With love and prayers always,
Heather

 
At 28/2/07 7:45 AM, Blogger Brigid and Celie said...

Thank you for sharing those beautiful poems and the beautiful pictures. Christi will live in our hearts and souls forever.

XOXOXO
Brigid and Celie

 
At 28/2/07 8:31 AM, Blogger Amy said...

What a beautiful poem! So sweet and touching.

 
At 28/2/07 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just recently stumbled upon your site, and I've read almost every entry. First off, I just want to let you know that your family is in my prayers, and that reading about your little Christi has put a smile on my face. Second...I've read that book, Good Grief, and I loved it! God Bless.

Ashley

 
At 28/2/07 10:19 AM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

The poems are beautiful... just like Christi. Thanks for sharing them with us. Much love and many prayers,
Aimee

 
At 28/2/07 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mrs.Thomas~

You do not know me, but I came across your blog via a friend of mine who's son has neuroblastoma. I appreciate your openess in talking about your daughter and talking about your difficulites in fighting this horrible disease. I have said a prayer for you today and your family,as you now walk a new path.

Isaiah 41:10. "Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." What amazing comfort and strength to know that The God of all the universe is walking with you and giving you strength and holding you up.

Sincerly,
Heidi Evans

 
At 28/2/07 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How I love the pictures of Kay and Christi!!! They really captures such a beautiful friendship and bond. I also wanted to compliment you on the wonderful teaching you do!! Your students poems are wonderful and I thank you for sharing them. Again in graduate school we were discussing vision impairments and its relation to literacy and of course I thought of you and little miss Shayla! Enjoy the rest of the week!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home