Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Bedspread

Shayne was to compete in the Arnold Schwarzenegger “Pump & Run” competition over the weekend in Columbus, so Shayla and I left straight from school on Friday for my sister and brother-in-law’s home. We had a great weekend and it was a wonderful way to end Shaylauary. It continues to break my heart that she no longer has a sister to play with and I am so grateful she has awesome cousins who bring her so much joy! Shayne did a fabulous job in the competition and it is wonderful he takes such great care of his health! It was great to all be back together again on Sunday!

Gil treated us all to the circus in Cincinnati on Saturday night and we had a great time. Of course the last time I attended a Ringling Brothers circus, mom was sitting with me too. We went with the Ronald House families in NYC when she flew in to help out. We both remembered how five year old Christi kept saying, “It’s not THE greatest show on earth. Who decided it was THE greatest show on earth?” She liked it, but disagreed with that title – what a hoot she was!Christi (in pink hat), Grandma Nonee and Shayla at the Circus in NYC (March 2003) Christi is eating popcorn and sitting beside a little sweetie named Emma. Emma died of NB in June of 2003. Christi named one of her Build-a-Bear bears "Emma". I hope the girls are playing with their Build-a-Bears in Heaven and not looking back on the painful times they lived!

On Sunday evening, I set up Shayla’s new bedspread and removed Christi’s old one, fighting back tears all the way. Christi’s bedspread was ten years old and really needed to go, yet it was hard. I remember in the hospital in Philly in the winter of 2006, looking on-line to pick out a new bedspread for her room, but we couldn’t find anything we really liked. Things changed so quickly and then I didn’t want to touch anything in her room. Well, now that Shayla’s sleeping in there (and I think making it much easier on us to deal with “Christi’s room”) it was time to get her a pretty new bedspread. We ordered a lovely horse themed quilt spread that would go in Christi’s room just fine.
It arrived and it looks great, yet broke my heart to take off Christi’s bedspread and sheets for the final time and put them all in a trash bag bound for the garbage. It was the only bedspread she ever had and I remember making up her room for the first time as I was pregnant and we were preparing for Shayla’s birth and transitioning Christi to her “big girl” room. After the bed was made, I placed some quits that had been lovingly stitched for Christi over the years by sweet “Angels on Earth” and I think that made me feel better for whatever reason.

Shayla continues to do very well and has not watched TV, her Lenten sacrifice. I am very proud of her.

Due to yet another horrid ice/snow storm and level 3 road conditions (only emergency vehicles can be on the roads) we do not have school again today (Day #9, summer is getting shorter and shorter, oh well I’d much rather have everyone be safe!). I do not know if there will still be musical practice tonight or not. The show is this weekend. I’ve volunteered to French braid all of the little girls’ hair so hopefully all will go well with that. Shayla’s very excited. Shayne had to fly out today, but he’ll fly back tonight and thankfully it was only from the Tiffin airport so he didn’t’ have to try to get to Detroit or Cleveland or someplace he wouldn’t have made.

We went to bed together like this on many occassions! Christi's "bed" was really just a matress on the floor because we were afraid she'd roll out and get hurt when we took her out of the crib to get ready for Shayla. She never did and eventually, she got a real bed - a hand-me-down from my college apartment. Now it's Shayla's and we still say it's the most comfortable bed in the house!

5 Comments:

At 5/3/08 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure Christi isn't in the picture with Shayla and her cousin, Shelby? Enlarge the digital picture on your computer screen and look right next to Shayla's head. Then, look next to your mother's head. Maybe Christi is having second thoughts about "The Greatest Show on Earth". Scientist that she was, she might be testing her hypothesis by sampling the show with you again. Click on the photo and see for yourself.

 
At 5/3/08 3:39 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Shayla, I love your bedspread-- it's so cute and so very you! I am counting down the days to your show. You must be so excited and I have no doubt that you'll be wonderful. I am so glad to hear you had a nice weekend. Enjoy your day off. The weather hasn't been bad enough here for us to get one. Oh well! :p

Angela, I give you so much credit. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to slowly make Christi's room Shayla's. It took my parents six years to touch my brother's room. I am thinking of you and sending many hugs your way.

Loads of love to you all,
Olivia

 
At 5/3/08 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! That bedspread is just perfect for Shayla! How cute it is! May she have only peaceful sleep and happy dreams always!
Angela, two of my sons are doing 'Relay for Life' this year in Christi's memory!

 
At 5/3/08 8:32 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

omigosh!
i showed kati that quilt, she went crazy!

she still asks me about shayla aaaallll the time. once the weather gets nice, what to do you say we meet up?!

((hugs)) im sure replacing the bedding broke your heart... but i admire you for finding the courage.

love dani

 
At 5/3/08 9:55 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Great pictures as always Angela, I love the one of the three of you together in bed.

I'm glad you were able to have a fun weekend and congrats to Shayne on his Pump and Run.

Sending you tons of love and prayers and continued strength.

I love you guys!

Love,
Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home