Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Double Whammy

Work was a killer on Friday. The sixth graders returned from camp and I couldn’t shake the feeling that we should be whisking off all of the girls for a 11th birthday celebration – something grandiose that would last all weekend as we starting doing after Christi was diagnosed. Additionally, my sweet colleague was talking about her daughter’s birthday celebration, as her daughter’s birthday is two days before Christi’s. I do not think she knows about Christi’s bday on Monday and I just smiled and asked her questions about all of the festivities.

Friday night led us to the barn to work with Skeeter. (Thankfully, Shayne is home and is on “horse duty” because quite frankly, despite my good faith efforts, the 1,000 pound animal is just too much for me!) It was at the same barn, two years ago, where all of the girls from Christi’s class gathered to ride horses and celebrate her 9th birthday. It was wonderful! That, combined with the cold, damp weather, made me go sit in the van and put my head back for a while. I’ve not been sleeping well and I was able to doze for a bit. I know things will get better, but right now it’s like I’m haunted and consumed.

(PIC: Christi with some of her friends at her 7th birthday party. Did we really rent The Ritz and fund a puppet troupe from Cinci?! You bet! Would we do it again if we could - YOU BET!! She was worth every penny!!!)Saturday, we went to a Horse Show at the fairgrounds so Shayla would learn what she will have to do in July. It lasted for hours and she had a ball. (I enjoyed watching some of our school's students ride and give Shayla some pointers.) At the fairgrounds over the weekend, we were able to see a couple of Christi's sweet classmates. They are so sweet! They came right over to talk with us! Returning home Saturday evening after attending a fundraser for a sweet lady who helped out at many of Christi's fund raisers, I found the sweetest phone message. One of Christi's freinds call to say he was thinking about us. I absolutely coldn't believe it. I sat down and cried. God's people are amazing and are continuing to get us through!

Perhaps if Mother's Day and her Birthday weren't back to back, it'd be better. I feel like this is a double whammy, yet I do indeed count my blessings as I know I have more than most!! Additionally, I think what is so hard is that the days fell exactly as they did back in 1997. Mother's Day was on a Sunday and Monday morning at 8:13 AM, the 8 pound 4 oz. perfectly healthy baby Christi was born.

FUNNY: I'll never forget Mother's Day of 1997. We took our moms out for a buffet dinner. While waiting in line, the carver held his knives way up in the air and loudly sharpened them, right in front of me, the one 9 months pregnant going in to have a C-Section in the morning (because Christi's was breech, just like her sister and father). I couldn't eat much then as I worried that the doctors would be doing that in the morning before they sliced and diced me like the ham to get Christi out!

16 Comments:

At 11/5/08 4:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, I have read your site since before Christi went to Heaven but have never signed. I marvel at your strength, enjoy reading about your memories of beautiful, amazing Christi, and love seeing Shayla grow up. I will be thinking of you and praying for you today on Mother's Day and tomorrow on Christi's birthday. Love, Amy

 
At 11/5/08 11:42 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Thinking of you today, May God bring you peace and comfort.

With love,
Heather

 
At 11/5/08 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, you're in my thoughts today...sending out a great big hug to you today and surely Christi is doing the same from her Heavenly home.

 
At 11/5/08 1:01 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

I will keep you in my prayers. I can't imagine.....a double-whammy, like this. You are so right. Take care and God Bless!

And if you could include a prayer for my dear friend Alison I would appreciate it. She is fighting cancer as we speak. I just hat this disease.

PRAYER WARRIORS- http://in-the-presence-of-a-miracle.blogspot.com/

ALISON-http://mrsladystaroftheseabreezes.blogspot.com/
THE HUBBY- http://staroftheseabreezes.blogspot.com/

Thanks- Kimberly

 
At 11/5/08 2:17 PM, Blogger Holly said...

I received my tea party package and it was just perfect! I will lift a glass of tea to toast sweet Christi and all of the Thomas Team. My heart an prayers are with you!

Love Holly

 
At 11/5/08 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just turning midnight in the UK - so happy birthday Christi.

Angela, Shayne, Shayla - thinking of you all - thank you for sharing your journey and your memories - in turn I can only extend my support across the world to you, I hope such empathy lightens your load, even a little.

Irene

 
At 11/5/08 7:15 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Thinking of you today and sendin loads of love!

Hugs,
Olivia

 
At 11/5/08 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, I hope your mothers day was a nice, bearable day as I can't imagine the emotions you're having to go through. I pray that Christi sends you signs of comfort as she knows you need them. I'll be buying a Christ's tea package tomorrow on her special 11th birthday. Love & miss you Christi!

 
At 11/5/08 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day Angela!

You will all be in my thoughts tomorrow and I will say a special prayer for you all.

Enya

 
At 11/5/08 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers Angela.

 
At 11/5/08 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Heavenly birthday to Christi!

I started keeping up with her website a few months before she died, and my heart aches for you! I'm sorry I haven't posted but once or twice before, but please know that people are reading and care very much.

I have a beautiful daughter that is the same age as Christi. Thankfully she is healthy, and I'm grateful I've never had to experience what you had to go through with Christie with her illness.

Happy Birthday sweet Christi! We miss and love you, but will join you! (In Heaven, it's the blink of an eye).

 
At 11/5/08 11:23 PM, Blogger Sheila Ferrell said...

Dearest Thomas Family,
I have no doubts that God is celebrating sweet Christi's birthday in Heaven. That is the day that she left God's hands into yours so that she can teach each of you and many in this world all about grace, beauty and most of all, God's love.
I know that in our world, we believe that she was taken from us too soon and our hearts ache for her physical touch, her sweet laugh, her imagination that she often shared and what I can only imagine as the greatest thing, her loving hugs and kisses. I know we will never in this lifetime understand God's great plan and why He chose Christi to return to him after such a short time.
I know each of your hearts ache and your arms feel empty but I also know that your heart is still full of her joy and I pray that today and every day, you feel her joy within you.
Happy Birthday, Christi! I thank God for sharing you with us.

 
At 12/5/08 12:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just a note to let you know you have been in my thoughts so much today. I know I cannot grant the one Mother's Day/Christi's birthday present you'd want, but we do love and cherish you so. Praying for you to find strength and some sort of wholeness in the midst of all that still feels so broken. Much love to you, precious Thomas family, and huge heaven hugs to Christi.

Always,
Spring

 
At 12/5/08 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO CHRISTI!!! I KNOW THAT FROM ABOVE SHE IS HAVING A HUGE PARTY AND WOULDN'T WANT TO SEE MOM AND DAD SAD...

 
At 12/5/08 3:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you the happiest of days Christi sweetheart & sending love, prayers & strength that can't be put into words to mom, dad & shayla. I know that your angel friends will be helping you to celebrate your special day in style & that you'll have all of the happiness & fun that a special angel like you deserves.

Please stay nice & close to mom, dad & shayla as you always do - it's a good job that you angels are clever enough to be in so many places at the same time. Doesn't stop the rest of us wishing that today could be how it should be instead of like this.

Have a beautiful birthday Christi & do lots of laughing so that everyone hears that lovely giggle of yours.

Your birthday will be marked here in the Lake District in England too - yet another place that has been touched forever by your Christi magic.

Happy birthday princess & love to you Angela, Shayne & Shayla

Nicky xxx

 
At 13/5/08 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a day late but I had to come by and wish Christi a Happy Birthday..

I still think about you all often.

Shayla is getting so BIG and GORGEOUS!! It is a true joy to see her smiling and remembering her sister..

God bless..

Staci C.
NJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home