Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

(PIC: Christi in Uncle Jeff's canoe.) While teaching today, I watched all of the sixth graders march by my door, carrying their things heading off to 6th grade camp. It's always a wonderful time for our students and my heart just fell as I immediately realized Christi was not going with them and she would have loved it. They start selling items when they are in the lower grades to help pay for their camp. I know Christi didn't have much in her account, as we didn't let her go door-to-door because people were already too kind with the many fundraisers to help pay for her treatments and travel, but it still brought many memories forward in a rush as she came home all excited from the "kick off" selling programs at school and I'd have to explain to her that she could sell to mom and dad, Shayla and her grandparents only. I don't know if she was old enough to "get it" or not, but I told her that each year as I prayed she'd really get to make it to sixth grade to get to go. Sadly, she didn't. It was a really odd feeling today and I just had to keep on teaching, pretending nothing was wrong while I really wanted to scream. I do hope they have a fabulous time and that Christi watches over them and keeps them safe. They deserve that!

Things are always more challenging when Shayne's out of town. This week he has been deep sea fishing off of the Gulf Coast of Florida with the guys from work. In year's past, they took him as their banker, now they take him as a colleague!! His new job, over the past eight months, has been a tremendous blessing, filled with amazing opportunities and hard working colleagues! Thankfully, he will be home before Christi's birthday on Monday. I didn't think it'd be hard this year, but my anxiety level is going up each day. One of my Professors wanted to meet with me on Monday and I had to tell him no. "It would have been my daughter's 11th birthday, but she died and I just don't know if I'll be emotionally able to talk about my work on May 12th." He picked a different day. Whew!
Check out Tricia and Aaron's beautiful new puppy!! Needless to say, Shayla had a ball while I was at class earlier this week. I needed help with child care and thankfully my cousin came to the rescue. I can never pay back all who have helped with the girl(s) over the years I've been going to school. I can say that I intend to take my final ride to Ohio State in a limousine (for graduation - hopefully next year) and to take Aaron and Tricia (and others who helped with childcare) with me to thank them and to have them with us to celebrate! I never would have been able to do this without the help of others over the past five years! (Shayla will probably insist we take a few of their pets too, hee hee!)

1 Comments:

At 7/5/08 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, what type of dog is that? It is SO ADORABLE!!! I just wanted you to know I've come to a halt on my prayers for RAIN here in Florida, upon hearing that Shayne is here on vacation! We so desperately need rain, but it can wait now! Hope he enjoys his time and has a safe trip back home in time for Monday. You'll all be in my thoughts and prayers that day...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home